Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need Front Brake Calipers

Hi peeps,

Need to renew/replace my IS200 sport front calipers. Got a quote for non-Lexus ones from local garage, but, not happy putting minger stuff on my baby. Anyone recommend good type? Don't want to break the bank though.

Ormi.. If you read this mate.. is there anything you can suggest?????????????

Ta a very lot.

Col :duh:

why you needing to replace them??mate?i would never replace a caliper thats the lazy expensive way.

Front offside seems to not be releasing properly. Get a lot more dust buid up Ormi, so, I thought it needed changing, and that you can't just change one??? Guess I might be wrong. Once spent an age trying to fix a caliper on a Renault 5, and it was a freekin pain. Also, now with my hip problems, do-it myself is not an option mate. Wot next????? Bring it to you??? lol

Col :winky: :winky: :hehe:

I bought a set of new calipers from this company recently.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=370139383818

Not fitted them yet but they arrived quick and look very good.

Boxes are marked 'EBC' which to me is a reassuring name to see.

TG

These look good Tony. The Garage quoted me £495 for two, then there was labour to go on top. They were not Lexus either. They told me if I went for Lexus ones, they'd be around £1500+ fitted????? Thing is, I can't buy and fit myself now as I have two knackered hips.

Col.. :crybaby:

During service dealer noted caliper starting to seize.

Quote to supply and fit a new front caliper for me was just under 400 quid.

I went for refurb option too and got good garage I know well to do the job for me.

I supplied them with following genuine parts from Lexus dealer.

Pistons £18 each - 2 per front caliper.

Front caliper service kit £60 (does both sides).

Front pad fitting kit £65.

Front pad shim kit £37.

Rear pad fitting kit £40.

Rear pad shim kit £23.

Soon mounts up and labour charges to fit a new caliper should be a lot less than to strip and refurb a dying one.

With me being quite ( err let's make that very :wacko: ) fussy rather than have caliper die again bought a set of four new ones for £400.

Bonus was they can supply them pre-coloured too which will last better than the smoothrite I've used until now.

So having got them here will get my local garage to stick them on for me - but no great rush as their refurb job is fine for now.

TG

Could you not get some new slide pins and ( if you need them ) new piston kit..and get a local mechanic to fit them..? would still work out alot cheaper than buying brand new callipers mate...

I went for refurb option too and got good garage I know well to do the job for me.

Front pad shim kit £37.

Rear pad shim kit £23.

Soon mounts up and labour charges to fit a new caliper should be a lot less than to strip and refurb a dying one.

With me being quite ( err let's make that very :wacko: ) fussy rather than have caliper die again bought a set of four new ones for £400.

Bonus was they can supply them pre-coloured too which will last better than the smoothrite I've used until now.

So having got them here will get my local garage to stick them on for me - but no great rush as their refurb job is fine for now.

TG

Could you not get some new slide pins and ( if you need them ) new piston kit..and get a local mechanic to fit them..? would still work out alot cheaper than buying brand new callipers mate...

Blimey thats very cheap for 4 brand new callipers.!!!...does work out better than refurb then...!?

Front pad shim kit £37.

Rear pad shim kit £23.

TG

Think I'll go with this option mate. Ta. Ijust had new disks and pads fitted, so will just need the refyrb kit etc.

Col...

After having had the dreaded wheel wobble from a sticking caliper I replaced it with a patterned part from - EK Brakes

Then a month after, replaced the other one !!!

Only about £80 each, been on for many months, they work as they should

£60 for a seal kit is an expensive (imo) and labour intensive task

(all dependant on how servicable the pistons are, to fit a seal kit)

So I went for the easy option, all good and glad I did

I agree with the above, considering the cost of the service parts, and labour to refurb (especially if you are not confident to do them yourself), leads to very little point in overhauling. From what I recall, the refurb kits don't include the pistons themselves (I could be wrong though), so if they are, or get, excessively damaged and are beyond repair, you have an additional extra hidden cost.

I agree with the above, considering the cost of the service parts, and labour to refurb (especially if you are not confident to do them yourself), leads to very little point in overhauling. From what I recall, the refurb kits don't include the pistons themselves (I could be wrong though), so if they are, or get, excessively damaged and are beyond repair, you have an additional extra hidden cost.

Okily Dokily then guys. I think I'll go for replace rather than refurb' then. I want the job done properly and not have to revisit it again for as long as I have my lovely Lexy baby.

This forum is invaluable. All this great info' and help is more than greatly appreciated.

Col.. :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links