Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Clattering/rattling Sound

Not sure how long its being doing it, as its nothing you can hear with the windows up, but last night i put the passengers window down as i was saying goodbye to some friends in a pub carpark, and as i turned out and went down the road (with the window still part opened) i hear this noise that i can only describe as a light clatter or ratling (metalic sounding) coming from the rear nearside of the car everytime i went over an expansion joint in the road, there is no knocking or banging, and when the road is smooth nothing can be heard (apart from a faint noise that sounds like something rubing on a brake disk ever so slightly?

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks,

Rich.

i have exactly the same, a tin sounding rattle.

i have it with 6 months and i can't figure it out.

i thought it was something to do with the springs and clips on the handbrake shoes.

i fitted new handbrake shoes and all the bits and pieces but it's still there.

don't think it's the brake pads either as they seem okay.

has anyone else had this and solved it.

i have exactly the same, a tin sounding rattle.

i have it with 6 months and i can't figure it out.

i thought it was something to do with the springs and clips on the handbrake shoes.

i fitted new handbrake shoes and all the bits and pieces but it's still there.

don't think it's the brake pads either as they seem okay.

has anyone else had this and solved it.

i have the same issue. I've taken the wheel and brakes off but could not find anything. My mechanic had a quick look and said that it might be the suspension bushes. I booked the car in for Wednesday morning to have a better look at what might be the cause of it. When I got the car it had that stupid annoying noise there but it got worse and sounds like Santa's coming.

could be way off on this but....

in the boot, front left corner, there is a flap you can lift up on the false floor. (where the jack is)

if you take the jack out and look right in the hole, there is a plastic flap (vent?).

when i installed my sub, it rattled like a mo' fo'. i could hear it outside and initially thought it was my number plate rattling. then i thought it was the boot opening mechanism. but a little more investigating LED me to this.

solution: just stuffed some kitchen roll in it :P

btw,

'nearside'? that's the left(passengers) ay?

I will remove, copperslip and re-fit the pads today if i have chance, and hopefully that will do the trick (thanks Ormi) if not i wil leave it to my brother to sort when the car goes in for a thorough service and inspection in the next week or so.....

Thanks.

right, i've just adjusted the handbrake at the hubs.

i had 5 or 6 clicks at the lever and now i have 3 clicks.

the rattle is not half as bad as it was but it is still there.

an improvement at least but i'd still like to get to the bottom of this.

I went to see my mechanic today and he reckons that is the bottom ball joints on the right hand side even if I mentioned to him that the noise comes from left hand side. he wasn't really sure as he told me that he is going to pull the suspension apart and investigate further. After further investigation on my own I fell that the noise comes from the inside of the rear brake discs. Me thinks that I will need to replace the rear brake discs and brake shoes hopping for the noise to go away.

Has anyone done the same thing before?

I went to see my mechanic today and he reckons that is the bottom ball joints on the right hand side even if I mentioned to him that the noise comes from left hand side. he wasn't really sure as he told me that he is going to pull the suspension apart and investigate further. After further investigation on my own I fell that the noise comes from the inside of the rear brake discs. Me thinks that I will need to replace the rear brake discs and brake shoes hopping for the noise to go away.

I have suffered this problem just recently. I own a 1999 IS200 and recently heard a metal to metal noise from the rear of the car. I found it to be a small metal bracket which had come loose from the back plate of the rear brakes. It holds the handbrake cable in place. These parts appear to be spot welded to the back plate

I have located where the metal brackets go. See diagram via link :

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_1999_LEXU...VKW_4601.2.html

If you follow the dotted line from the washer numbered 47449C to the back plate, you can see the small bracket situated horizontally under the hole in the back plate.

I have since removed the brackets and spoken to a mechanic at Lexus (Norwich) He informed me that the small bracket were spot welded to the back plate, however until such time as a problem occurred to forget about it. My metal noise is no longer evident

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys

Anyone else got this problem?

Got the clattering noise (intermitant) mainly under load but only hear it with the windows down.

Took it to a dealer and he could not trace any noise and nothing found during inspection of engine bay or underside.

Said to ignore it until it is there all the time. Cannot reproduce this when revving engine either.

Took car away from garage and damned me if it wasnt there within a few miles again.

Driving me nuts this problem anyone else got this IS200 quirk?

I tightened my handbrake right up until it was connected slightly when driving!

Noise gone

But obviously I can't drive with my hand brake on so i released it again and there is the noise again so it is definitely something to do with the handbrake shoes.

I think if we could restrict their movement or tighten their bracket?

I have suffered this problem just recently. I own a 1999 IS200 and recently heard a metal to metal noise from the rear of the car. I found it to be a small metal bracket which had come loose from the back plate of the rear brakes. It holds the handbrake cable in place. These parts appear to be spot welded to the back plate

I have since removed the brackets and spoken to a mechanic at Lexus (Norwich) He informed me that the small bracket were spot welded to the back plate, however until such time as a problem occurred to forget about it. My metal noise is no longer evident

I had the same problem, but one of the brackets had come off and caused some damage to the shoes. I checked the other side and the bracket was still spot welded in place, but I only gave it a prod and it fell off :crying: . I'm surprised this hasn't been reported on the forum a lot more as it must be a common occurance. Thanks for letting me know that they are only handbrake cable guides, as I my IS200 Sport has been riding around for quite a while without these brackets.

Here's a pic of both of them after removal, it's obvious which one fell off and which one was taken off :lol: :

backplate2.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links