Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Standard Unleaded Vs Super Unleaded

IZZZY

I have no interest in defending supermarket unleaded but the fact is that up to now I have seen no difference between Shell V Power and Tesco superunleaded except that the Tesco stuff is a higher octane than the VPower and cheaper. Same story with the unleaded. If I had the slightest doubt I certainly would not be using it in the Ls400, never mind the Porsche. But I am listening.

On a different point: I find it impossible to view this thread unless I am logged in. The error is: "menu disabled, not logged in, broken link". Have had this about a dozen times. Anyone know why?

The problem the customer came in with was there engine management light on. When the customer left the light was of and didnt come back on as i am sure if it did they would come back again, no other garage i know of does free diagnostics and resets why would they go else were, besides all of them were regular customers who have been back for routine service and mot since. I wouldnt do a free diagnostic and reset for a stranger i didnt invest £5000 on diagnostic equipment to give it away free

Doesnt really matter your opinion of whos fault it is, you did the maths i have towed in 8 cars with problems when filling up. As i mentioned ALL 8 cases were paid for by the PETROL STATION not the customer. On average the bill was £100, i dont know of any petrol station that gives away free repairs and free fuel not unless they know its a problem. I personally use the fuel station with the dodgey bio i know they had in excess off 20 customers all back with the same fault and he paid them all out on my say so i drained the tank on on one car put it in a clear container and showed it him after the first one i did. He poo poo ed the idea of it being his fault until i took him the second one which happened to be owned by a guy he knew.

Trust me i have had many more customer filling up with wrong fuel i wouldnt dream of billing a petrol station for that.

I can only speak from my experiances which for me show many cases of bad petrol bought from supermarket stations.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/154...-fuel-bill.html

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=362111

would appear its an on going thing then and not just my area and oh doesnt the second website refer to the afore mentoined vauxhalls :shutit:

Funny that after 2 years of this problem i/ my customers are still suffering.

would appear its an on going thing then and not just my area and oh doesnt the second website refer to the afore mentoined vauxhalls :shutit:

1. Those links refer to problems encountered almost 3 years ago.

2. Whilst it was the various supermarkets who retailed the fuel, it was contaminated before they took delivery and was very much a 1 off.

3. Maybe the afore mentioned Vauxhalls are more vulnerable.

4. Have you discovered who is adding the thinners to the bio diesel in the cold weather?

I guess that I must just be lucky to have covered over 500,000 miles in the last few years on mainly Morrisons fuel without any fuel related problems.

Happy motoring and New Year

:driving: Dave

1. Those links refer to problems encountered almost 3 years ago.

2. Whilst it was the various supermarkets who retailed the fuel, it was contaminated before they took delivery and was very much a 1 off.

3. Maybe the afore mentioned Vauxhalls are more vulnerable.

4. Have you discovered who is adding the thinners to the bio diesel in the cold weather?

I guess that I must just be lucky to have covered over 500,000 miles in the last few years on mainly Morrisons fuel without any fuel related problems.

Happy motoring and New Year

:driving: Dave

Completely agree - I do think it was a fluke that could have equally happened to Shell, BP or whatever company. If anything I would dare suggest that, having had the problem,the supermarkets are likely to be more careful and thus possibly safer.

Did i say it was comman place all i said was in my experiance i have had problems with supermarket petrol and personally dont use it. I also said that the vauxhall seem to be more prone to it Never said they the only cars. Maybe it was a fluke i never said it happens all the time i have had it in the past and again recently so what ever it is it isnt a problem thats going away.

I recently had a vectra that wouldnt start when left over night. After some head scratching and realising that some one else had already played around with it and change the obvious heater plugs and guel fliter, i checked the fuel system for a leak not fuel getting out but air getting in allowing the fuel to drain back to the tank over night. I took the engine top cover of and placed it in the boot where i found 3 empty cans of something called "start you bastrad" this is actually what it was called. It was a kind of easy start. Three empty cans of the bloody stuff and the guy was telling me he had only had the problem a few days.

After obviously not getting the full story from the guy i didnt take anything he said for real after that. I finally nailed the problem down to the fuel he was using. It was as thin as tap water black as the ace of spades and stunk like turps. I guessed it was red diesel he had got from some where and had tried to hide the fact it was red. Turns out the guy works at the local train shunting yard so woul dof had access to everything needed to make the concoction in his tank. He told me he was getting it from his local Asda but i didnt belive that for a second.

Like i said before all the jobs that i think are down to petrol station fuels i bill the petrol station for and get paid.

The jobs that just need the lights turning of i turn off and dont charge (as long as its a regular)

As for the people like the vectra owner i am busy next time they ring. If a customer isnt goign to be straight with me why should i give him my time. I been working int he trade for too long to waste time with people who are not straight with me.

Working in a petrol station (Shell then BP) i asked two tanker drivers about the different stores and there fuels...is V power better than BP Ultimate and so forth there reply was no it's all the same...all the shops unleaded is the same and all the shops Super Unleaded is the same,it all comes from the same refinery (Grangemouth in my instance seeing as im a scot lol) which is where they all fill there trucks with the same stuff, shell, BP, Jet, Tesco etc.

he said the only time that it's different is supermarkets such as tesco can buy there fuels cheaper from Storage containers (Fuel thats came in from the ships) so in turn could be of different quality...but basically that BP fuel isnt any better as shells fuel and that its nothing more than amyth...which i could actually believe as it does make sense i mean at what stage would each individual company be able to add there "cleaning agents" etc to the fuel? could be different in England ?

Working in a petrol station (Shell then BP) i asked two tanker drivers about the different stores and there fuels...is V power better than BP Ultimate and so forth there reply was no it's all the same...all the shops unleaded is the same and all the shops Super Unleaded is the same,it all comes from the same refinery (Grangemouth in my instance seeing as im a scot lol) which is where they all fill there trucks with the same stuff, shell, BP, Jet, Tesco etc.

he said the only time that it's different is supermarkets such as tesco can buy there fuels cheaper from Storage containers (Fuel thats came in from the ships) so in turn could be of different quality...but basically that BP fuel isnt any better as shells fuel and that its nothing more than amyth...which i could actually believe as it does make sense i mean at what stage would each individual company be able to add there "cleaning agents" etc to the fuel? could be different in England ?

I agree with you in general regarding the Scottish supply coming from Grangemouth to most Service stations up here, but if you fuel using shell V power - it smells different to other fuel - you can even smell it in the exhaust (when following a fellow biker who is using it). I tend to use it in my bike if I'm off to the local drag racing track - but the result is possibly just in the mind :D .

I always used a higher grade of fuel in my Saab turbo, as the ECU calculated the octane rating and allowed more or less power accordingly by altering boost slightly.

Pete

If you sit in the 'Hotel Mountbatten' pub in Plymouth, you can watch the tankers come and go at Cattedown fuel depot on the other side of the water. You see a line of them - Esso, Shell, Tesco etc etc. They all stop by the same big tanks, fill up the tank on the back, and then drive off to deliver. Based on that I really can't see how some stations can sell fuel that is different from others, at least not in the mass-market 95 stuff. Maybe they could transport the more expensive stuff from elsewhere, but I doubt they do...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links