Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Noise

PJ220

Good morning all

Have just joined and have a question regarding my 07 plate IS220-D-SE

Having recently changed my frot tyres from Michelin (awful) to Dunlop SP (very good) I have noticed a really bad clunking/grabbing sound when backing out on (or near) full lock - it feels like the tyres are gripping then slipping and gripping again... :question:

It's only at low speed, once above a few mph all is well, stability is fine etc. It just sounds bad and I have never noticed it before.

Tracking is fine, any ideas?

The car has been in for a lot of issues recently and admit to having lost a lot of faith in it after 85k miles..hmm?

Many thanks

Peter

• 2 months later...

Sorry can't help but thought it would be useful to share a similar experience on my '56 plate 220d. I get a clunking type of noise and vibration when at or near full left lock whilst reversing and right lock in forward. Tracking has recently been checked and not changed my tyres since last summer so doubt tyres are an issue.

• 2 years later...

I appreciate this thread is old, but it is the first post that sounds similar to my problem and I thought this may bump it forward!

I also get this strange juddering noise when I turn my car on full lock. It feels like the suspension is worn, or at least part of the front suspension is worn.

I'm not sure if it is related, but I also have a slight feeling (at law abiding speeds) that transmits through the steering when I hit certain bumps - though not big bumps - that is akin to something wrong in the suspension and/or steering column. It is a slight jolt with a sound that makes it feel like it is transmitted right from the bump in the road through to the steering wheel hub. My wife had a 2002 mini cooper and this did the same thing, which required a new steering column. Does the IS220d have a steering damper, like many mercs?

When travelling over a relatively bumpy section the suspension again makes slight noises and the steering has this feeling of play. It doesn't feel as taut as my old 05 plate 320d BMWs, despite that having 99k on the clock, so I can only presume that something in the front suspension is worn. My car has just passed 40k on a late 57 plate, and it is definitely not a clocked motor. I do think, however, that it has spent a fair amount of time on local roads.

i have always driven around bumps in the road, but I am doing so more than ever as the car just doesn't feel as taut/solid as it should - the rattles don't help!

Any ideas?

David

It's actually quite normal. The noise you are hearing is the wheel sliding whilst trying to grip on full lock. Remember the the wheel is not perpendicular to the ground at full lock, so the tyre is being pushed forward at an angle.

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem. Have almost new Dunlop a Sport Max tyres and when full lock reversing back the front tyres slip. Only just started doing it very annoying when you have passengers. Don't know if changing tyres again will do the same thing or if it will go away after a while.