Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Toyota Recall

alpine

Yeah doesnt affect the Lexus.

I remember when i first got my is200 and the mat stuck on the accellerator, went thru a redlight before i hit the clutch with the revs bouncing off the limiter.

Scared the crap outta me, no mat for me after that :P

Iain

See..... here. Lexus not effected.

Same Toyota statement in the Times, so that's OK.

I don't get the bit about the mat since Lexus ones have plastic hooks to hold them in place, unless very early ones didn't. My 2003 IS200 had them, same as the GS I now have.

I don't get the bit about the mat since Lexus ones have plastic hooks to hold them in place, unless very early ones didn't

Yes- a lot of early IS200's were recalled because there were no hooks fitted to stop the carpet mat jamming in between the pedels- the mat would ride up and get caught in between the pedels. The modification done by Lexus dealers was to fit a hook to the carpet and also to fit a new drivers side mat with a hole in it for the hook.

I think the 1999/early 2000 IS200's were recalled. Cars made after this date came with the modification from what I have read in these forums. Mine is a late 2000 model and it already had the hook fitted.

I had a brand-new Toyota Avensis back in 2004. When I received it the mats weren't available, so I had no problem. A week later I took it back to the dealer as the mats had arrived, drove it 50 yards round the corner and lifted off the throttle for a junction. Except I didn't lift off, the accelerator was stuck hard to the floor by the mat. :megaangry: I wasn't impressed.

The throttle pedal on my 1991 Hilux is a bit sticky, I think it is the return spring that has just got really weak over the years.

Do you think the Toyota dealer will fix it for me under this recall? :whistling:

It's really not that much of a problem when about 50 BHP is unleashed in all it's fury in a 1 and a half ton truck so maybe they won't be that bothered. :blush:

Redsteve

According to this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...exus-crash.html

There is a problem with the LS350 ????

What I want to know is, instead of fishing out his phone, dialing 911 and having a conversation about how his car was charging down the street towards a juction, why did he not just knock the car out of gear or switch of the ignition?

And according to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_ES

The car was most likely an ES350, which had had a recall to have thinner mats fitted, obviously the rental company thought it wasnt worth the bother.

• 3 weeks later...
No. it's wear on the pedal mechanism which causes it to jam :(

THE PEDAL WILL NOT JAM EVER!!!!!!!!!!AND NO ONE FROM TOYOTA EVER SAID TO PUT YOUR CARS OFF THE ROAD!!!!!!!!!!toyota insist their is no danger and the pedal jamming will not happed ever!!!

i know the fault,i know what happens and what the issue is,i also do the recall and have done many.

so people dont panic and if your conserned you can go on the toyota web site put in your reg and it will say if your cars affected......

the media is confusing this with a case in america which an off dutie police man was killed by a toyota and the reason he didn't wanna spend a few extra $$ on proper mats so his thick rubber mats jammed the pedal down toyotas fault???? em no..

Ormi, Really? So what is it then?

I have quoted that Mr Toyota or whatever his name is from the news ...... is he wrong?

Quote from Toyota.co.uk:

Symptons

There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

This is caused because the accelerator pedal mechanisms concerned may become worn. This progressive wear, combined with certain operating and environmental conditions, can cause friction in the mechanism to increase and intermittently result in the accelerator pedal being harder to depress, slow to return or, in the worst case, stick in a partially open position.

Jam or stick isn't it the same?

Ormi, Really? So what is it then?

I have quoted that Mr Toyota or whatever his name is from the news ...... is he wrong?

Quote from Toyota.co.uk:

Symptons

There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

This is caused because the accelerator pedal mechanisms concerned may become worn. This progressive wear, combined with certain operating and environmental conditions, can cause friction in the mechanism to increase and intermittently result in the accelerator pedal being harder to depress, slow to return or, in the worst case, stick in a partially open position.

Jam or stick isn't it the same?

our tec notes say nothing of this and their is yet to be a case of this here...and when we were being shown what the fault was(they made a pedal faulty to show you whats wrong) their was no sticking.it only affects the pedal on the downward and not the upward.

• 2 weeks later...

You would think though that after all these years and many many instances of Toyota (inc. Lexus brand) having problems with floor mats, that they would ensure that ALL new car developments would never have this issue ever again!

I do find it a little strange that a company as good at production techniques and design etc as Toyota is, they didn't learn after the first or second time!

Ho hum, doesn't affect my IS or my dads GS so I don't really care!!

It's not a floor mat issue this time, it's the actual pedal that's sticking, but either way I agree they've had too many problems over the years associated with the accelerator pedal getting stuck down.

In some ways they deserve it, but not how the press has blown it apart - which I believe is down to the US political situation and GM and Ford wanting to regain some of their market share.

According to this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...exus-crash.html

There is a problem with the LS350 ????

What I want to know is, instead of fishing out his phone, dialing 911 and having a conversation about how his car was charging down the street towards a juction, why did he not just knock the car out of gear or switch of the ignition?

It says it was the passenger who called in, not the driver, but yes stick it in neutral for g*d's sake!

And it says that someone had reported the rental car as having a sticky accelerator, so why wasn't the rental company also not held liable for not getting it fixed?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links