Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

There's one for the IS250 on the tech website too, but the part number's a bit different - PZ473 00211 00

Not sure whether it's just for the newer models that now have DAB as an option, but worth asking your dealer about both part numbers :)

There's one for the IS250 on the tech website too, but the part number's a bit different - PZ473 00211 00

Not sure whether it's just for the newer models that now have DAB as an option, but worth asking your dealer about both part numbers :)

Just read the Installation manual, there's a 12 pin and an 8 pin connector, suspect it will work.

Now... if I can just get one at a reasonable price.. :crying::rolleyes:

Won't the mm system need a software update to handle the DAB module?

I was wondering how much would it cost (if at all possible) to install the new MM system (with HDD navigation and jukebox, USB, DAB, unlocked etc)?

I was wondering how much would it cost (if at all possible) to install the new MM system (with HDD navigation and jukebox, USB, DAB, unlocked etc)?

Not sure, but it talks on a common bus, similar to the ipod interface, so in theory it should work. The Antennae is just a screen sticky, very similar to the Pure DAB unit I have at the moment...

As for the new MM system, not much change out of £2000 would be my guess.

Not sure, but it talks on a common bus, similar to the ipod interface, so in theory it should work. The Antennae is just a screen sticky, very similar to the Pure DAB unit I have at the moment...

I think most people will be disappointed with DAB in a car. The UK system was designed specifically for fixed installation and not for use on-the-move where poor coverage and complete drop-out with low signals stop it from being suitable as the only Radio source. On a technical point, the Codecs used provide significantly worse audio quality than FM, and are power-inefficient to transmit. For these reasons, it is strongly rumoured that it will be abandoned and replaced with a different, better but non-compatible system before FM is dropped. Being able to have a huge number of stations none of which you can reliably receive doesn't seem worth spending money on.

I think most people will be disappointed with DAB in a car. The UK system was designed specifically for fixed installation and not for use on-the-move where poor coverage and complete drop-out with low signals stop it from being suitable as the only Radio source. On a technical point, the Codecs used provide significantly worse audio quality than FM, and are power-inefficient to transmit. For these reasons, it is strongly rumoured that it will be abandoned and replaced with a different, better but non-compatible system before FM is dropped. Being able to have a huge number of stations none of which you can reliably receive doesn't seem worth spending money on.

As I have said, I have a Pure unit in the car, works fine, just thibk it's ugly! Signal Depends where you are, driving from NW London across to East London is fine, driving up the M4 and M40 is pretty good too. M5 south of Bristol tends to be poor. I want it specifically because I like to listen to 5 Live extra for football cricket etc. Not available on FM. Oh another thing slightly off topic, my IS220d is in having some TLC on the engine at present, and I have a GS450h on loan, very nice too... However, there's no long wave on a GS450h, but there is a cassette deck!!

Is DAB still really that bad then? Why haven't we got satellite radio like the yanks? Everytime I've used it I'm always amazed at how brilliant it is, almost sounds as good as CD........

Depends where you are, suspect you'd be OK where you are.

We haven't got Sat because we have better local radio and national radio than the they do. Also, how many people are going to subscribe to listen to radio in thier car?

A run from NY to LA takes you through some places where radio hasn't been heard of yet! That's the advantage of Sat Radio. Driving from Liverpool to Brighton just isn't the same. ;)

...... Why haven't we got satellite radio like the yanks? .......

Errrrrrrr........ Cos we wont spend the money! We used to be the envy of the world with the quality of our television broadcasts utilisg PAL etc.... Now (as is the norm)... we are falling behind the rest of the world when it comes to technology.

Our broadband speeds are pathetic. The governemnt missed an opportunity when they announced our 'new' terrestrial digital television phase in. A system which is out of date and technically flawed. Why didn't we take the opportunity to go high def?... Oh.. oh... and don't even get me started on how 'HD Ready and True HD televisions were marketed over here !!! LOL.

What was the question again??... oh yes DAB :whistling:

...... Why haven't we got satellite radio like the yanks? .......

Errrrrrrr........ Cos we wont spend the money! We used to be the envy of the world with the quality of our television broadcasts utilisg PAL etc.... Now (as is the norm)... we are falling behind the rest of the world when it comes to technology.

Why didn't we take the opportunity to go high def. What was the question again??... oh yes DAB :whistling:

Still :offtopic: Well better late than never - Freeview HD TV broadcasts started in January in London and will be widespread by 2012. DTV is much less power-hungry to transmit, but technology at the time of its inception meant using a system which allowed reasonably cheap receivers to be made. Things have now moved on and receivers for better but more complex systems can now be made economically. The same applies to DAB. We jumped in too quickly in both cases because the home technology market needed the jump-start given by attaching the buzzword "Digital" which people have been conditioned to think automatically means better in every way when this is not always true - but does mean that shops can sell "Digital" Kettles!

Good point with regard to the cost of sat radio. Freeview HD has taken its sweet time getting to us, and in my view the digital switchover should already have happened - 2012 is ages away!

I'm also annoyed that TVs with Freeview HD tuners didn't come out before the broadcasting began, although obviously not as annoyed as if I had just recently bought a new TV!

...... but does mean that shops can sell "Digital" Kettles!

Digital Kettles !!!... YES !!! now there's a product to market to the masses... add that to my digital torch and I'll be all set :whistling:

Still :offtopic: I am afraid it is a bit like the "intelligent" detergent that you can use in a washing "system", wax extracted from a turtle that might keep it waterproof - but doesn't do anything for shine on its scabby, flaking shell, or an extract from Avocados that mercifully doesn't make women's hair look or smell like the fruit!

• 3 years later...

Bit more old post revival going on here... :whistling:

Given that folk may do a forum search using DAB as their reference point....this may be of interest.

Have just stumbled across the following pdf relating to installing the DAB unit into LHD is250. May be of interest to some as there are some add on DAB units available....if you want to part with nearly £400!!

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7B6FD49BF7-6811-529A-6687-F576F1226811%7D/IS_DAB_LHD_PZ473-00211-00_AIM_001_724_0.pdf

Just made some experiments about high quality radio and in my opinion today, choosing the right broadcast, the best is to connect a smartphone or a tablet to aux input using an internet connection and an app like Tunein: you get thousands of radio stations and choice of genres . The next step is to put on my car (GS 450h 3rd gen.) a BT interface so to avoid to phisically have to insert a cable to phone output of my phone to enjoy internet radio.

I have tried tune-in over Bluetooth using Belkin kit. http://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F4U037

Quality is OK but at high volumes there is a bit of hiss co-related to the revs in the engine. Possibly electrical pick-up by the audio between the BT unit to aux-in to main head unit.

For longer journey you have to put your phone on charge as well. Because, radio over 3G requires quite a bit power

For those with Samsung S3 I can recommend stuff like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3200MAH-Power-Bank-Backup-Battery-Charger-Case-Cover-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-I9300-/130948908259

At the moment I made a direct connection of my phone to aux input , while for hand-free phone operation I already have BT connection, unluckily this one works only for phone calls, while for audio it does not, so I am waiting for another BT interface made ONLY for audio transfer, not for hands-free , just ordered on eBay. Of course for continuos operation it's better to connect to a 5 volts external power to avoid discharge of cell-phone Battery.

The interface is something like this:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/350680756664?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links