Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Service Recommendations

Hi there,

I know there are a lot of posts about these already but I just wanted to get peoples opinions. I have a 52 plate SE with 39k on the clock. It was last service nov 2007 at 24k. I am probably one of the poorer lexus customers and dont want to spend a fortune. What service do you recommend i get and should i go main dealer or will my local garage do the same stuff?

thanks in advance

So your car hasn't seen a garage/spanner in the last 3 years?

I'd get a full service done: which is: New: oil, air filter, oil filter, pollen filter, coolant, brake fluid, diff oil, spark plugs. Also at that age I'd get the timing belt (with idler and tensioner) replaced. Its also a good idea to replace the waterpump at the same time.

I'd source the replacement parts from Toyota/Lexus and find a good local garage to fit the parts (A Lexus service stamp in the service book is not going to add much value to your car now given its age).

So your car hasn't seen a garage/spanner in the last 3 years?

I'd get a full service done: which is: New: oil, air filter, oil filter, pollen filter, coolant, brake fluid, diff oil, spark plugs. Also at that age I'd get the timing belt (with idler and tensioner) replaced. Its also a good idea to replace the waterpump at the same time.

I'd source the replacement parts from Toyota/Lexus and find a good local garage to fit the parts (A Lexus service stamp in the service book is not going to add much value to your car now given its age).

had all the above done at lexus last week £850 inc vat parts and labour - you should be able to get it done much cheaper by an independant garage (but i couldnt find one near me) also evryone reccomends toyota for the same quality job but much cheaper.

I did get an oil and oil filter change in october and had a coolant leak in jan 09 so think that waterpump was replaced then. Does the other stuff really matter? Ive never had any my cars serviced before mind due I never kept them longer than a year.

If you want to have a trouble free car, then yes, you need to service your car regularly

Hi I'm sure you don't want the expense ,but what Kam05 has said is correct ,the only way a Lexus of this age is reliable is by routine maintenance ; an added bonus is that your fuel consumption will be more acceptable !! .

I serived mine myself last week. Got oil and filter for £43 (on trade) Castrol 5w-30 magnatec. I got spark plugs for £18 off eBay and changed the brake pads which i think cost me about £40. I also changed the coolant not so long ago and that costs next to nothing. I also used engine flush to get rid of all the old rubbish oil that was in ther and that cost me an extra £3.50. So all in all it works out alot cheaper to do it yourself if your willing to put the time and effort in

As already said the lexus service stamp isnt going to make mush difference now with the age of the car. Mines on a 99 T plate and i just wrote in the book myself and the milage at which i did it

Hope this helps

I serived mine myself last week. Got oil and filter for £43 (on trade) Castrol 5w-30 magnatec. I got spark plugs for £18 off ebay and changed the brake pads which i think cost me about £40. I also changed the coolant not so long ago and that costs next to nothing. I also used engine flush to get rid of all the old rubbish oil that was in ther and that cost me an extra £3.50. So all in all it works out alot cheaper to do it yourself if your willing to put the time and effort in

As already said the lexus service stamp isnt going to make mush difference now with the age of the car. Mines on a 99 T plate and i just wrote in the book myself and the milage at which i did it

Hope this helps

You say you used engine flush? How many miles has the engine done? Reason I ask this is that I have been told (by various people) that engine flush can damage older/high mileage engines?

Car has doen 128k. A few friends of mine are mechanics and the condition of the oil was so bad that it was recommended that i use it. I wouldnt wanna use it everytime i change the oil and in your case in may not be needed if you have already done an oil change fairly recently

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links