Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sunroof Leak/alarm Problems

Hi all, can anyone help with this? 4am Sturday morning, the alarm on my 93LS400 went off. I got out of bed and turned it off only to notice water on the drivers seat. I then discovered the sun visa, and all the way along the headlining was soaked, and I mean soaked. I've also had loads of water in the boot. From what I can make out from other postings, the sunroof drain is blocked or come adrift, does that sound likely?

Since this happened, the remote locking won't work and the footwell courtesy lights stay on. Until I get it sorted, does anyone know how to disable the alarm? I've tried all sorts of things without success.

Also, if the front of the headling is wet, does it sound like the leak is from the front of the sunroof, if so, why would the boot be soaked as well?

Any help would be gretly appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Go for the boot seal first, popular fault.

Sunroof, as you guessed check the drains, front and rear, also clean around the seal.

Although can't see it the seal is lipped all round under the front edge, run your finger or something around it to pull it out a bit.

Think these must harden over time and lose the fit round the edge.

Hopefully other problems may clear up when the car is dried out

Hi welcome to the LOC.

All common problems well documented on the forum.

Sunroof, check the seal and the drain tubes.

Boot, check and reseal the rubber seal and check the seals on the rear light clusters reseal as required.

Door/alarm, check the courtesy light door switches, remove and spray with contact cleaner/WD40 work them in and out a few times and refit ( don't lose the wiring in the door)

As I said search the forums for more info.

Hi welcome to the LOC.

All common problems well documented on the forum.

Sunroof, check the seal and the drain tubes.

Boot, check and reseal the rubber seal and check the seals on the rear light clusters reseal as required.

Door/alarm, check the courtesy light door switches, remove and spray with contact cleaner/WD40 work them in and out a few times and refit ( don't lose the wiring in the door)

As I said search the forums for more info.

Thanks for the info and the welcome. I checked the drain tubes today, the front ones anyway. I couldn't locate the rear ones. I did pour about a pint of water in, and it drained out from under the car, front and rear, so I'm assuming its all clear.

I got at least half a pint of water from the headlining using a wet & dry vac. I've also sprayed WD40 in the door switches.

Do you know if locking with the key rather than using the remote disarms it? I assume it must be possible to lock without activating the alarm, in the case of pets maybe?

• 1 month later...

this happened to me too.

when you see its wet, you need to open & close the roof. It seems to not seal properly on occasions and depending on the slope of the car, water sits on the roof around the edges and prompty drips down the window columns onto the floor, front and back in my case, not the boot as i have had to do jobs on the aerial so i have looked for water there, but i just got a few pints inside the car too, i remember scraping the roof several times with a cd case and waterfalls cascading from my elbow everytime.

Never done it that bad before or since, but i did used to notice occasional damp spots near sunvisor after several weeks of steamy windows :tsktsk: before the soaking happened, just a simple open an inch and close usually does the trick

• 5 months later...

Lock by key = no alarm

Hey guys I have similar prob. How do u disconnect boot alarm? Wher is it?

Before you try and disconnect the boot alarm, you should try and fix the leaks, assuming your problem is indeed similar. Disconnecting alarms can have insurance consequenses. In order to avoid alarm going off you should only lock-up with the key. This means the immobiiser wont be operating so be careful.

The boot alarm is located next to the catch (on my MKIII). If you look down at the catch with the boot open, there is the release knob on 1 side and on the other is the alarm.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links