Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hmmmmm.......

Hi ,I don.t think resetting the ECU will have any effect on the mileage reading . From your previous post I seem to remember you only recently got the car; was it private or a dealer ? the reason I ask this is your problem can be caused by ' electronic mileage adjustment ' if you get my drift. I would be checking any mileage related receipts you may have and asking questions of the seller. I,m sure there are other reasons which one of our technical lads will post shortly.

Did you ever get the service book for the car????? or contact lexus to find out about servicing????

Hopefully someone will come along with a solution for you, but i am thinking the same as true blue

cheers guys

i bought it privately from a guy in manchester and i got only the previous MOT with it and thats all :/ hmmmm

everything seems to check out ok on the IS200 like the engine and box feel as though they have only covered 96000 as stated but i unsure lol the only prob really is someone has hacked the stereo wiring to bits for some reason and that the gearrbox crunches slightly when i put her in 3rd when cold, synchromesh is my thinking on this, if i get a replacement speedo will the mileage be as stated on my odometer or from the car the speedo came from???

many thanks

cheers guys

i bought it privately from a guy in manchester and i got only the previous MOT with it and thats all :/ hmmmm

everything seems to check out ok on the IS200 like the engine and box feel as though they have only covered 96000 as stated but i unsure lol the only prob really is someone has hacked the stereo wiring to bits for some reason and that the gearrbox crunches slightly when i put her in 3rd when cold, synchromesh is my thinking on this, if i get a replacement speedo will the mileage be as stated on my odometer or from the car the speedo came from???

many thanks

Forgive me but I'm always amazed by people who buy cars with no history! I'm assuming you got a stonking deal to make up for it?

Either way, my first port of call would probably be to contact Lexus and trace it's history (hopefully it would have been Lexus serviced for a good proportion of its life) which will give you a better understanding of where its mileage should be.

These cars are pretty bulletproof if they've been maintained so shouldn't be too many problems. If you changed it the odometer would say whatever it had on it, so a new one would start from 0 again, or a used one would be wherever it was.

Where is the mileage stored on the IS200? Is it on the odometer or on the ECU? I thought the mileage would be stored on the ECU? If that's the case, then can't the OP get a 2nd hand unit, plug it into his car and it will display the correct mileage (for his car)?

hey

i have only just realised that my odometer isnt working in my IS200 SE?!?! any ideas how to fix this?? its probably a memory fault on my ecu but if i reset the ecu will it sort this???

all help appreciated!!! :D

hi,although this has nothing to do with the odometer no working u can check on the milage by logging on to vosa if u have the v5/document ref number and do an mot history check(its got a data base of all mots from 2005 onward),this will give u a cue as to the milage of the car plus what it has failed on in the past.

Where is the mileage stored on the IS200? Is it on the odometer or on the ECU? I thought the mileage would be stored on the ECU? If that's the case, then can't the OP get a 2nd hand unit, plug it into his car and it will display the correct mileage (for his car)?

I think I remember from past discussions that it's stored in the odometer, not the ECU but I might be wrong.

hi,although this has nothing to do with the odometer no working u can check on the milage by logging on to vosa if u have the v5/document ref number and do an mot history check(its got a data base of all mots from 2005 onward),this will give u a cue as to the milage of the car plus what it has failed on in the past.

Didn't know they were all online, that's a useful tip :)

Well if the mileage is stored on the odometer, then Lexus have shot themselves in the foot.

For example, my IS200 has done 133k and say for arguments sake its worth £2k- I decide to sell my car but I want more than £2k for it. I then decide I will clock my car before selling as I want more £££. Off I trot to a scrap yard down the road and I pick up a odometer from a younger/write off IS200 which has 60k on the clock. I buy the odometer out of the scrap car and I fit it to my car- my car's odometer reading is now 60k.

I now advertise my IS200 saying its got 60k on the clock and I ask for offers in the region of £4000. I hope to get my asking price and I hope that any potential buyer that turns up doesn't ask to see the service history/book.

This is a very easy way to clock a IS200, so the mileage must be recorded on the ECU. If the mileage is recorded on the ECU then this would mean you buying replacement ECU, locks, keys etc, thus making it harder/expensive to clock.

Unless a replacement odometer won't fit into another IS200 without some sort of reprogramming?

I don't what the answer is, so if anyone knows can they please clarify.

Think this is a bit of a hot topic then haha

Yes I got a cracking deal for her, £2k and in all fairness she is a great car apart from niggly little things like mentioned above! Did someone say they bought a second hand cluster and their mileage is spot on!!! Another thing... How can someone clock the mileage?? Just a thought! The mot was in January and it said exactly what's on the odometer now!! The thing is that the trip meters still work fine?!?

Also figured out today too that I can't turn traction control off but the snow button works?!? Could this be the same underlying fault???

The problem is not knowing when the odometer stopped - might be worth checking what the mileage was at the previous MOT.

If it is stored on the ECU and someone has tampered with it causing it to stop then I'm not sure what is required to make it work again. The trips will still work as that's not related to this (that's why it resets if you disconnect the battery)

I guess the TC thing could be related if the ECU has been tampered with, but it could just be some wiring somewhere - could try popping off that bottom panel and see if the switch is connected properly to begin with.

Already tried that lol everything is connected fine and all fuses are fine too, I am looking for a replacement dash unit for now too as there are some black stickers covering dash lights too..... God what have I bought lol, but I suppose it gives me something to play with whilst I choose the right direction for power haha

Already tried that lol everything is connected fine and all fuses are fine too, I am looking for a replacement dash unit for now too as there are some black stickers covering dash lights too..... God what have I bought lol, but I suppose it gives me something to play with whilst I choose the right direction for power haha

Are you serious? They've stuck black stickers over some of the warning lights?! Surely it would have been less obvious to just remove the bulbs :P

But yeah hope it's not covering up some serious problems and they'll just be minor things you can get sorted easily :)

as there are some black stickers covering dash lights too..... God what have I bought

I don't like the sound of that, mate.

well i cant figure out which ones they have covered up but i really havent had the time to look yet as i am busy with work etc :( its really annoying the crap outta me atm too haha! i will let you know how i get on when i finally get 5 mins to have a look properly

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links