Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Petrol Consumption!?

ive not been getting many miles per gallon lately, and after keeping an eye on how many miles i get from £20 of petrol is 76miles!??!

a service is due in sept..and ive only covered 11k miles in just a shade of 2years..

so is £20 to 76 miles completely outragous? i do mainly local city driving, i do sometimes put my footdown on the odd occasion..

i really am for the first time thinking of selling up and going for a diesel as i cant justify the amount i spend on petrol anymore

p.s...tyres are inflated correctly, 33-35psi..

balancing/tracking was done 6months ago

MOT passed few days ago regarding edmission etc (if that makes any difference)

oh, its a 2001 plate with 116k on the clock

any help/advice/fellow downhearted people can help!

Sounds about right to me mate. well that's what mine does roughly.

Ive gotta sell mine because im using it to commute to work and petrol alone is costing me £50 a week, not to mention tyres etc.

it only gonna get worse when petrol goes up soon :( like it isnt already high enough !

Im going to buy a diesel - even though i cant live with the thought of it ! :crybaby:

Haven't you noticed petrol prices going up in your area?

As for service, the IS200 needs a service every 10k/1 year Whichever comes first

is it auto or manual ? they are shockingly greedy on juice but i think its partly the rising fuel price doesnt help - i filled up today-mines auto and id done 206 miles to £40 - nearly all town driving with a bit of bypass stuff - oh and ive been trying out sport mode this week as well so not been driving with economy in mind-mine got much much better on juice after a full 60,000 mile service at main dealer

I'm going through £50 of petrol a week and I'm getting about 250 miles (mix of dual carriageway and town driving). To me my IS200 is cheap motoring, ok its thristy, but in the 7 years I've owned it's never let me down. This car has done 100k under my ownership and besides it makes sense to me to run my IS200 into the ground then replace it.

Mines a manual so mine might be a bit better on the mpg compared you guys with autos?

lexynik - its a manual mate

lexuslloyd - im the same mate, i couldnt think what else i would drive/buy if i sold my lex, it defo is alot of car for the money, and replacing it for i.e a diesel ford focus just wouldnt cut it!! :crybaby:

kam05 - she has been serviced every year, just stating ive only covered little miles since owning it..maybe servicing should clean her insides out!

ALSO - what would she be worth?? quick spec

116k miles, is200 sport, black, TTE front and rear bumper, lip (areo sports pack with 18areo wheels), Full service history (mainly lexus), black half leather interior, fully electric..

My auto does about 300 miles to a tank when purely town driving, and a full tank for me is about £75 in my area, so £20 roughly gets me 80 miles.

Based on that sounds like you're getting a bit less as I thought the manual would be a bit more economical, but not drastically so doesn't sound like you have a problem. Could try an ECU reset to see if it might have an improvement.

My auto does about 300 miles to a tank when purely town driving, and a full tank for me is about £75 in my area, so £20 roughly gets me 80 miles.

Based on that sounds like you're getting a bit less as I thought the manual would be a bit more economical, but not drastically so doesn't sound like you have a problem. Could try an ECU reset to see if it might have an improvement.

While on the subject of MPG, has anyone ever tried one of them STP injector cleaner things, usually retailing at about £6 a bottle. they claim it would improve MPG. or is this just a gimmick ?

do i reset by disconnecting the Battery rite?

lexuslloyd - im the same mate, i couldnt think what else i would drive/buy if i sold my lex, it defo is alot of car for the money, and replacing it for i.e a diesel ford focus just wouldnt cut it!! :crybaby:

kam05 - she has been serviced every year, just stating ive only covered little miles since owning it..maybe servicing should clean her insides out!

116k miles, is200 sport, black, TTE front and rear bumper, lip (areo sports pack with 18areo wheels), Full service history (mainly lexus), black half leather interior, fully electric..

would think with that mileage probably best to sell privately, just because dealers are fussy about higher mileage cars.

what year is it?

would think with that mileage probably best to sell privately, just because dealers are fussy about higher mileage cars.

what year is it?

2001 mate

I would say £3500 - £4000 as long as everything's in good condition especially as your is black, looking on the trader there isn't many decent ones in black

hmmmm id be happy with a return of £3700 upwards..as i bought it for £4450 2 years back...but the question remains, what to replace it with!! lol

p.s thanks everyone for replying back so quick, greatly appreciate

Paz

I would say £3500 - £4000 as long as everything's in good condition especially as your is black, looking on the trader there isn't many decent ones in black

hmmmm id be happy with a return of £3700 upwards..as i bought it for £4450 2 years back...but the question remains, what to replace it with!! lol

Paz

Yours has some very nice aftermarket extras so you should get that easy !

Same here, been looking at a highline VW Passat, ok boring i know but 50+ MPG sounds good to me

do i reset by disconnecting the battery rite?

You can remove the ECU fuse or yeah I generally just disconnect the Battery - just bear in mind that you'll lose your presets and trip mileage.

Service the car mate- that will make a difference to mpg (fresh oil etc)

Could be a good point, might need a new air filter, when was it last changed?

320d/330d- diesel and RWD :P

Totally agree, if you want to go diesel, 320d if fuel is the key factor, 330/335d if you want a good balance of tons of power and still decent fuel economy :)

What year is your car btw? Looks a nice one, but the high mileage would be the only thing affecting your sale price.

Paz

Yours has some very nice aftermarket extras so you should get that easy !

Same here, been looking at a highline VW Passat, ok boring i know but 50+ MPG sounds good to me

i had a passat before my lex, and it was the most comfortable places to sit in, dont get me wrong it was a barge and was constantly told im driving a grandpa sort of car, but it was realy smooth!

do i reset by disconnecting the battery rite?

You can remove the ECU fuse or yeah I generally just disconnect the Battery - just bear in mind that you'll lose your presets and trip mileage.

Service the car mate- that will make a difference to mpg (fresh oil etc)

Could be a good point, might need a new air filter, when was it last changed?

320d/330d- diesel and RWD :P

Totally agree, if you want to go diesel, 320d if fuel is the key factor, 330/335d if you want a good balance of tons of power and still decent fuel economy :)

What year is your car btw? Looks a nice one, but the high mileage would be the only thing affecting your sale price.

its a 2001 - Y-plate...body work is good for the age

air filter would have been changed at service last sept.

hmmmm 330 sounds my sort of motor! plus RWD too

that's good to hear, must be why they're ridiculous prices lol

the beamer's to have incredible diesel engines but getting one with decent spec eg leather can be a pain

mine was the old old shape, mk2? S-reg..

but the newer ones look half decent with a good spec :winky:

im looking at 2004's so hopefully i can get decent trade in price

Keep us updated mate - should sell you car easily B)

cheers dude

i think im going to try what people have said first...re-set ECU and a good old service..

i would mate - fitting the oem spark plugs,new oil and air filter and the correct oil as specified by lexus should make a marked difference to your mpg if they havent been done for a while-mine went from "f*****g hell i cant believe how much this b*****d car drinks fuel" to "just about bearable all things considered" in one day with the aid of a service - if you plan on keeping it a while i would do the gearbox and diff too as they will also have an effect in the long run

edit - i just worked out the figures on the original post ie £20 petrol @£1.15per litre = 3.8 gallons

76 miles divided by 3.8 is 20 mpg - whichis about right or did i mess my maths up somewhere ?

i would mate - fitting the oem spark plugs,new oil and air filter and the correct oil as specified by lexus should make a marked difference to your mpg if they havent been done for a while-mine went from "f*****g hell i cant believe how much this b*****d car drinks fuel" to "just about bearable all things considered" in one day with the aid of a service - if you plan on keeping it a while i would do the gearbox and diff too as they will also have an effect in the long run

thanks for reminding me mate about the diff! it defo got a good work out during the snow!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links