Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chips

wildrnes

As far as I know there aren't any "chips" available for the is200. If I remember correctly one of the guys here bought one from a Swiss firm, but was no suitable and had to be returned.

We offer a Dastec ecu which is a custom mappable ecu which works nicely.

Hope this helps :)

Posted by Tony Goose on May 12th 2003:

Engine management computers decide how much fuel to inject into the engine and when to generate the spark to ignite it based on inputs from various sensors. These could be in areas such as exhaust gas, coolant temperature, inlet manifold pressure, turbo boost pressure, engine speed and so the list goes on.

It's like a big 'look up' table. So the ecu might say ...

Exhaust gas reading is 'A', Coolant temperature 'B', Engine running at 'C' rpm.

So according to my look up table i must ....

Open injectors for 'X' milliseconds + generate spark at 'Y' deg before piston reaches top of stroke.

This 'look up' table or 'map' is the heart of 'chipping'. The 'chipper' replaces the standard 'map' with a different one. Standard maps are normally a compromise of performance and economy / emissions. Chipping would generally aim to tilt the balance in favour of performance.

Some maps are on a memory chip and can be replaced with a custom one - hence 'chipping'. If this isn't possible, a supplementary computer (piggyback ecu) is used - such as the 'unichip'. These wrap around the stock ecu and alter it's inputs and outputs as required to achieve the required effect. Taking IS200 as an example, TDI use a unichip to achieve a modest power increase AND reduce fuel consumption ... Blimey

As for supercharger 'chips', the earlier kits contain a small black box. This intercepts the manifold pressure signal before it reaches the ecu which expects to see a vacuum as air is drawn in but would see positive pressure as the supercharger forces air through instead ...

Well wouldn't you be confused if expecting to suck but getting blown instead

Later kits have a larger silver box which does a similar job but provides additional protection from fuel cut off - to protect cat converters from meltdown apparently.

That's my rather simplistic view of things - hope it helps

so if i fitted one of these to my car

i could connect it to a lap top and bugger up my car

how do i get rid / move the rev limiter ?

Unlikely, unless you got hold of a copy of the software for remapping (which is licenced), and decided that you wanted to change the settings.

I would advise against changing the rev limiter settings until you invest in a decent set of rods and pistons.

Mark :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links