Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rubbing Arches

My IS is on 18" alloys with 225/40 tyres, with standard suspension. when driving along good smooth roads the ride is fantastic. Stick it on country roads around Fife and I have a massive problem. The wheels are scraping on the arches, its a horrible noise to be hearing especially after putting two new front tyres on her. (Its also starting to effect the arches)

So now i ask for advise, what are my options!? how can i fix it without resorting to 17" alloys.

I'm thinking of putting coilovers on but i dont know whether these are going to solve my issues.

Please help!

Thanks

Do you know what the offset of your wheels is ?

There's a handy guide here http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=637

And offset info here http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=11821

I'm also on 8x18 with 225/40 tyres and don't suffer like that.

Offset of mine is 40mm and using coilovers but not dumped too low.

Best of luck

TG

coil overs will help but only because you will have to set your car up so hard your fillings will fall out....

do what i've done........swap to 215x40x18 tyres...

My IS is on 18" alloys with 225/40 tyres, with standard suspension. when driving along good smooth roads the ride is fantastic. Stick it on country roads around Fife and I have a massive problem. The wheels are scraping on the arches, its a horrible noise to be hearing especially after putting two new front tyres on her. (Its also starting to effect the arches)

So now i ask for advise, what are my options!? how can i fix it without resorting to 17" alloys.

I'm thinking of putting coilovers on but i dont know whether these are going to solve my issues.

Please help!

Thanks

I have the same problem. 2003 IS on standard suspension running 225/40/18's and the offside front tyre is rubbing on the wheel arch lining but only on full lock.

Well that is good news. Shame i just put 2 news front tyres on it though.

Might put the new 225's on the back as they seem to rub less often and put 215's on the front. So glad i dont have to resort to new alloys as I am quite fond of the ones I have.

Will the 215's get rid of the rubbing alltogether?

the other thing is I dont know what the offset of the alloys are! (Kahn RS-S 18x8) is there any way of me finding this out. Ive tried searching internet to find this out but can't find anything.....

Cheers for the replys.

It's often stamped on the inside of the wheel - as is the size ...

On the back of a spoke perhaps ...

For example the standard 17" 5 spoke alloys ...

size 7J x 17 stamped on the back of one spoke

and offset 50 or 45 stamped on the back of an adjacent spoke.

TG

the other thing is I dont know what the offset of the alloys are! (Kahn RS-S 18x8) is there any way of me finding this out. Ive tried searching internet to find this out but can't find anything.....

Cheers for the replys.

2 x 215/40/18 continental tyres ordered. Blimey they weren't cheap, but needs must....

Lets hope they do the trick,

Cheers for all the help

how much did you pay and what make??

continentals at £175 p/tyre including fitting. what tyres do you run?

i'l give you a wee hint phone scotyre cheapest in our area i've never had them beaten on price and i'm in the trade no one can supply tyres cheaper.......

what you up too on sat about 11??bunch of is200 owners are meeting at knockhill

Will keep that in mind for next time.

Gutted I have stock taking at work this weekend so I'm not free. any other weekend is normally good but just bad timing. Keep me in mind if you meet up in the future. Would be very interested to see some more IS owners and what they have done to their cars.

Cheers for the offer though

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links