Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

8Mm Spanner Dropped In Engine.

Cannot believe i have done this. Engine codes 13 and 25 (see other posting).

I was planning to replace disis and rotas as im sure they wont have been done.

NS disi and rota off and both shot. Sensor wire worn through as well which is probably the cause of the fault codes.

While undoing the bottom 8mm bolt that holds the OS Disi cap on, the spanner slipped down past the timing belt.

It cannot stay there for obvious reasons. If I cannot get this out with a magnet tomorrow, does anyone have a suggestion for getting it out.

Any suggestion really appreciated. Couldnt be more hacked off.

You're the 2nd person this week to do this, the other LOC member dropped one of the dizzy cap screws down there,he managed to remove it with one of those magnetic probes ( my suggestion was to tip the car upside down and give it a shake!!!).

Hopefully the magnet method will do the trick or you may have to remove the lower timing belt cover to recover it.

mmm you can get really powerful magnets on strings quite cheap from chandlery/boat shops a sthey use them to recover stuff dropped into the water off a boat

Half your problem is being able to see it, but a magnet should work hopefully.

I did something similar on a car last year. This time it was a 8mm bolt down a spark plug hole. Magnet no good so not wanting to strip the engine I went down to the local mechanic cap in hand, as luck would have it he had one of those inspection cameras on apro from a tool dealer, basically a very small camera and a light on the end of a wire.

He let me borrow it and I found the bolt it was part wedged under a valve head must have bounce or something, anyway with the camera and a bit of wire i dislodged it and got it out with the magnet. Something similar might work for you.

They actually sell the cameras on eBay "inspection camera" starting from £35 - 2000.

Best of Luck

Dave

Last year I dropped one (of the various) temp gauge sender units in to the "V". But the worst was a few years ago now with one of my 827's; The rubber insert came out of the plug spanner and remained stuck on the plug which itself is down a rather long narrow hole. I had to have a tool made and was without the car for best part of a week. All my plug spanners now have the rubber glued in to them!

In answer to the problem, I can only suggest attempting to fish it out with a wire coat hanger suitable cut and bent for the purpose.

How do yuo get aroldite of a magnet? anyone?

Have you tried using an 8mm spanner to remove it I hear they are very good!

Congrats by the way on recovering it

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links