Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another Key Thread (Sorry!)

Hi chaps,

I'm wondering if you guys might be able to throw some light on a problem I have concerning master keys (or the lack of...).

I recently bought my car and it only came with a "2 button" key and no master. This meant that whilst I could use the car I couldn't open the boot or glove box with the key, nor could I get a second spare key (I believe you need the master to get a spare?).

At the time of the sale the garage gave me a choice. They said that a new master key would be approx £100 so they could either knock £100 off the sale price and I could sort out the key myself or I could pay the full amount and get them to buy and send on a key.

I went for the second option and was happy for them to sort it out. I have since had a phone call off the garage saying they want the car back and are going to fit a second hand barrel as they say it's too expensive to get a master key. I explained that what ever happened I wanted a master key that operated the boot, glove box and, of course, the ignition and a spare to go with it. They are now going to try and obtain the matching gove box and boot locks.

The question I have is; surely it must be cheaper to get a master key and code it to the car (somehow??) than to fork out for a whole new (albeit second hand) lock set and have it fitted to the car?

I suppose at the end of the day I shoudn't really care how much it costs them as long as it's all sorted...

You DO really need a 3 button master key, if you have a master key then you are able to make spare keys.

Oh definitely. But which would be the cheapest way of obtaining one? Fit all second hand locks and barrel along with the matching master and spare key or get a new master key and code it to my car and it's existing lock / ecu?

are all 3 button keys, master keys

No. Put your 3 button key into the iginition- if the security light goes out within a few seconds (2-3?), then you have a master key. If it takes longer, then you don't have a master key.

mate,

it would cost 2000 to sort it out properly.

however, there is always other ways to resolve any issue.

in your case, the best way in my view is this:

1, get a key cut by the dealer by the database (100 ish) , so you have the blade to open all doors as a "master".

2, get the garage to buy your a ECU for you with a working key from where ever, eBay costs 200 ish (key is not important, the transponder is), use the transponder in your dealer cut key and you have a "master key" to work from.

good luck

Felix

hello,in theory your 3 buttoned key is your master key and it is always advised that when buying a lexus make us it has one and that it works.Even lexus tell u that without the master they cant make u a spare.Always better to be safe than sorry.

do i need to turn the ignition, or leave it in there?

are all 3 button keys, master keys

No. Put your 3 button key into the iginition- if the security light goes out within a few seconds (2-3?), then you have a master key. If it takes longer, then you don't have a master key.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links