Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear View Mirror

On my first lex (bog standard S) my rear view mirror was just a normal simple mirror, no issues, but my new lex (SE) has a curved magnifying sorta thing, when i look in it i can see pretty much every inch of the car which i like but im finding it near impossible to judge parking in it, i can be metres away from anything but looks like im on top of it through this mirror. Anybody else think the same?

On my first lex (bog standard S) my rear view mirror was just a normal simple mirror, no issues, but my new lex (SE) has a curved magnifying sorta thing, when i look in it i can see pretty much every inch of the car which i like but im finding it near impossible to judge parking in it, i can be metres away from anything but looks like im on top of it through this mirror. Anybody else think the same?

Was your old car post 2001 and the new one pre 2001 by any chance?

I have to agree about the mirror, I think those early ones are rubbish - was really put off by it when I had a test drive (it was a 2000 car) but thankfully the dealer let me know it wouldn't be on the 2002 car I was buying.

yeh my S was a 51 plate and my new one is x reg. Its near impossible to judge distances in it

I wonder if you can do a straight swap if you get hold of one of the newer mirrors from a breakers or is it mounted differently? I do remember something about one being mounted on the roof and one on the windscreen.........

i'll have a butchers when i go on lunch, if i rememeber right it doesnt look like it would be the easiest thing to remove

I honestly can't remember but I have a feeling mine is bonded to the windscreen which yes, can't be too easy to remove :shutit:

I had a curve mirror in my X reg IS 200 Sport, I had so much trouble parking it and I'm a driving instructer. I got a flat type from eBay (phoned the seller to find out) and It's so easy to park it now. Changing the mirror was easy, there are two screws under a plastic cover (which just clips off) and It's a simple swap.

Edit: You can buy a flat mirror from the dealer for about £50 which is ok price imo as some eBay sellers are selling Lexus mirror for about £40. I got mine for £30 for the mirror and other bits.

What year did they change to the flat type mirror ?

I changed my mirror two months ago.

Edited I read the question wrong.

I think the flat type and curve type was out from the start as it writen about both in my manual. My car has a reversing sensor, that might have something to do with it. But It's just a theory.

ive got a 2000 model and i totally agree worst mirrors in the world. The curved mirror doesnt give any indecation on how far thigns are behind you. Was driving home on the motorway and every car looked like it was tailing me. The side view mirrors aint exactly perfect ethier. I would like to get a flat style mirror so im on the hunt for a 2002 model one. Or im goign to just replace the glass with a universal version.