Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Moved From Is200 To Is300?

Guys, I've been toying with the idea of changing my IS200 for either an RS200 or an IS300. My initial gut feeling is to go for the 300 as it will be cheaper to insure, less likely to have been ragged (due to auto tranny) and more comfy for the family. I've also heard reports of it doing 0-60 in 7.5sec which is pretty damn good.

However, its going to cost me at least £2000 for the trade-in with a half decent IS300, so I'm after some feedback from people who made the switch 200>300. Did it seem much faster? Does it sound any more menacing? Do you miss manual transmission? Anything else I should be aware of?

Just wanna make sure that I'm not going to be disappointed.

I never owned a 200 but have driven many, I found the 300 much more refined and has the low down grunt that the 200 lacks.

Thats why I went straight for the 300 and I would not change it for thw world great car.

Lee

If you are trading in the IS200 just on the comfort factor then why not go for the GS300?

Sorry, I meant that would be my reason for not choosing the RS200. The IS200 is plenty comfortable for the rug rats, and tbh I'm not keen on the GS's looks.

Hi,

I first had a plat-ice 200, she was a great car....when I wanted to move on, I wanted a change and wandered the dealer and trade forecourts, sitting and checking out them all, but none of them felt quite like my girl. My mistake was to test drive a 300 sportcross....no contest bought on the spot. Dont expect raw power, but do expect a superb smooth and progressive power that makes you smile, add this to the virtues of the 200 series 1, and I have the perfect 8 year old car. I have not noticed a significant change in mpg, unless I am paying attention to the odd Celica, Golf etc..and depreciation is now low so I look at the overall cost of owning rather than putting £50 of petrol in the tank.

I'm keeping her standard too as I see the 200/300 as a future classic and she has all the knobs and switches, the onslaught of the eco car starts next year from Renault and Nissan and the chancellor may well get out of his cot for long enough to put up gas guzzling motor bills again, Im hanging on though unless redundancy prevents me from occasionally enjoying the few roads in the British Isles where there is still no speed limit!

I went from 200 to 300, it cost me £3k with my 200, and I don't regret it, but my 200se 2000x auto was covered in bumps and scratches, and had a fibreglass kit screwed on poorly, cream interior was marked in various little places, mileage was good but it had no service history, altho I had the 60k and 70k done and it did run very well for the 3 years I had it, mpg wasn't great

the 300 has even less mileage, nicer colour, full lexus history, easily as good on fuel, extra 60 horses and has only minimal marks despite being a 2002

the way i looked at the £3k was its not earning me any interest so I may as well change from the car that bugged me with all its little niggles, to one that makes me smile just to look at

i'll just have to save a little longer for a house deposit tho but I don't mind

I owend 2 IS200 before getting a IS300 different car altogether, in some ways feels slower when just normal driving as engine does not stress but check speedo and get a shock how fast you could be going. First time you start it up in the dark and the hid headlights auto level you will know they are way in front of the 200.

is300 are great cars that always bring a smile to your face, spend the money and enjoy the driving.

Regards

Russell.

mpg is v similar between the 200 and 300 if driven with a light foot + snow mode on the motorway, in london traffic it is a bit thirsty, so I normally take my other car or the vespa. It is deceptively quiet at motorway speed and it is an effortless cruiser, took it for a 500 miles trip last weekend to wales, and enjoyed every bit of it.. Used 407 miles to the tank when the light first came on. I don't miss the manual transmission with the amount of lights and traffic these days, or is this a sign of getting old :)

I say do it, it took me nearly 9 months to search for my is300, there are not many examples around unlike the 200. One of the reason I bought the 300 is because of the high mileage reports in the US with some cars clocking up to 400k miles on original engine and transmission. I can't see myself swapping the is300 for a 250, when the 300 is a better car.

Great car !

When I first went to Lexus to look at the IS250s I saw my IS300 sitting on the forecourt; as much as I like the newer IS, the 300 blew it away imo !

The only reason I have mine for sale, agreed at an inflated but justifiable price due to history and condition (I paid £9k for it off forecourt) is that now I live in a flat I don't have a hose, an area that I keep it away from other cars, I can't vacuum it or lovingly wax it. I wash it on the way to work at my parents, so I can't eliminate all the water marks that you can when you spend an afternoon cleaning it and not moving it.

The engine is smooth, the gearbox is very good - an awesome commuter car and dual carriage way stormer !

The stereo is very good as well for a standard fitment.

An IS300 with a manual box would be a different car again methinks; more sporty but less prestigious.

Personally I think the IS200 has a better straight six sound, but the 300 is deeper.

I had a Joe Z induction pipe on it that did make it more "BMWey" but I sold it on to keep my warranty intact.

One thing that is wrong with the IS is the angle you have to hold the fuel hose at to fill it up !

Whitey :lol:

I would consider a PX, but not sure how much these go for at the moment . . .

Just been overruled my the missus.

She said I will sick if I sold the car, so it has to go completely or not at all.

I have to say I agree with her !

Chris

Haha :)

From what I've seen the 300's sell for about a grand more than the 200's on a 51-53 plate. However when I asked a dealer if they'd PX with me, they wanted £2k simply because they want to make a decent profit on my 200.

Haha :)

From what I've seen the 300's sell for about a grand more than the 200's on a 51-53 plate. However when I asked a dealer if they'd PX with me, they wanted £2k simply because they want to make a decent profit on my 200.

if you find a nice one, do it :D

I've actually seen a rather immaculate black one close by that's less than I paid for my 200. Only problem is that it was a CAT D write-off.

Being a fairly old car now, I guess it could have been something rather trivial like someone keyed all the panels, or a little rear end shut. Of course it could also been slammed head-on into a tree.

It's tempting tho...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links