Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pulley Holding Tool

Gaztech

Hi everyone,

I'm about to embark on another attempt at replacing my timing belt on my IS200. I tried it once but couldn't get the pulley off as I couldn't hold it whilst I undid the bolt. I put everything back as the belt wasn't too bad but....

I keep thinking that although the belt looks ok it's about time it was replaced. The car has done about 100k miles now so it ought to be done!

However... I need to beg/borrow/steal/hire a pulley holding tool so that I can undo the pulley bolt. According to Lexus the part number of this one is 09213-54015-01.

Does anyone have one I can borrow or hire?

I can get one from OTC but they want $234.00 for it - and I'm only going to use it once! If I'm going to do that I may as well pay a garage to change the belt.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks for your help (in anticipation). :unsure:

From what I've seen on here, people recommend using a breaker bar on the crank nut and wedged on the ground. Disconnect your sparkplugs and give the engine a quick crank to crack the nut.

From what I've seen on here, people recommend using a breaker bar on the crank nut and wedged on the ground. Disconnect your sparkplugs and give the engine a quick crank to crack the nut.

Sounds unscientific but probably a good idea!

I fabricated myself a tool in the end. Basically a hefty piece of angle iron with some bolts welded to it to line up with the holes in the crank pulley.

Here it is,

DSC00124.jpg?t=1278274942

And please don't pick apart the state of my welding, it was a quick job :blush:

Hey this is a great idea.

You don't by any chance have the measurements to make this do you?

I would need bolt size, distance apart and length of bar you used. Looks simple to fabricate.

Did it work ok for you?

Thanks for replying.

Hi there, sorry for not replying sooner. I was sent out of the country pretty short notice, the joys of being in the air force.

My bar is 600mm long, but any length should be appropriate as long as you can get enough torque on it. The centre of the bolts are 75mm apart and the cut out was to allow me to get a socket on the crank pulley bolt.

And it worked great for me but be aware the bolt is torqued up to 220Nm so a fair bit of puff was involved (puff as in physical effort not marijuana).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, sorry for not replying sooner. I was sent out of the country pretty short notice, the joys of being in the air force.

My bar is 600mm long, but any length should be appropriate as long as you can get enough torque on it. The centre of the bolts are 75mm apart and the cut out was to allow me to get a socket on the crank pulley bolt.

And it worked great for me but be aware the bolt is torqued up to 220Nm so a fair bit of puff was involved (puff as in physical effort not marijuana).

Likewise, I, too, used a similar method to Talisker, utilising a couple a butch pieces of angle, the difference being the angle was bolted together in a shallow Vee with the open end bolted to the pulley. (this was easier as I couldn't cut away a semicircle for the crank nut). This was to do the timing belt on my GS, whose crank nut is torqued to 360Nm (or 'effing tight' as I believe the technical term is).

If you have access to an air gun (hammer type, not shooting type) I found this helped.

The marijuana will help if you strip the threads!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links