Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exhaust Blowing But Where From.

Always had the front flange problem but its not coming from there. Cat to Y pipe all Gun Gummed up and not leaking but there is still a blow from somewhere. Ive been underneath and and it seems to be coming from the cats or higher up. And i think the NS rather than the OS.

Im wondering if its the EGR pipe but by the time i get my hand to it its too hot to touch.

Any ideas?

Always had the front flange problem but its not coming from there. Cat to Y pipe all Gun Gummed up and not leaking but there is still a blow from somewhere. Ive been underneath and and it seems to be coming from the cats or higher up. And i think the NS rather than the OS.

Im wondering if its the EGR pipe but by the time i get my hand to it its too hot to touch.

Any ideas?

It could be the EGR pipe, try leaning right over the engine as near to the

bulkhead [firewall] as you can, if it's split you will hear the blow.

This is a swine to get to!

There is no access at the rear of the engine without a lot of dimantling.

Any ideas?

I can hear it blowing while im underneath and up top. Am i right in thinking that EGR pipe is the goldy looking one visable from under the FOS. Goes from above the OS cat up to the OS rear of the engine?

Ive had my hand around this pipe but cannot feel a split. Where do hey split? top or bottom of the pipe?

Any ideas?

I can hear it blowing while im underneath and up top. Am i right in thinking that EGR pipe is the goldy looking one visable from under the FOS. Goes from above the OS cat up to the OS rear of the engine?

Ive had my hand around this pipe but cannot feel a split. Where do hey split? top or bottom of the pipe?

It's not a long pipe on my '94.

Check the'concertina' centre bit.

If you can't feel anything wrong with it,it may be blowing where it's bolted to the engine

EGR pipe is top right on the exploded diagram link below.It is the concertina section that normal cracks, can be welded, if it has cracked check your engine mounts as it has been suggested if these are worn it is excessive engine movement which fractures the EGR pipe.

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/components/1992-lexus-ls400~exhaust-gas-recirculation-system-25-01-4060.html

Thanks for that guys.

Ive been underneath again and my hand as far up as possible but cannot feel anything split.

Then from on top: had my hand as far down as possible. but the smooth part of the pipe is fine.

I can only just get my hands down to the concertina part. I can feel it blowing from the concertina part of the pipe though so it looks like this is the problem.

There also seems to be a clamp just above the concertina bit and i cannot imagine how i am going to get this off.

How do i get at it and, apart from it being a bit annoying, is it that important to fix it?

Bear in mind that im planning on getting it gassed.

Thanks for that guys.

Ive been underneath again and my hand as far up as possible but cannot feel anything split.

Then from on top: had my hand as far down as possible. but the smooth part of the pipe is fine.

I can only just get my hands down to the concertina part. I can feel it blowing from the concertina part of the pipe though so it looks like this is the problem.

There also seems to be a clamp just above the concertina bit and i cannot imagine how i am going to get this off.

How do i get at it and, apart from it being a bit annoying, is it that important to fix it?

Hi

I recalled replying to this issue previously - http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=66117&st=0&p=714941&hl=+egr%20+pipe&fromsearch=1entry714941

That should get you going.

Thanks for that guys.

Thanks for that Steve. most helpfull. The US guys seem to sugest that the EGR pipe can be done away with. That is, its not needed. Is this the case?

Hi

I recalled replying to this issue previously - http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=66117&st=0&p=714941&hl=+egr%20+pipe&fromsearch=1entry714941

That should get you going.

Thanks for that Steve. most helpfull. The US guys seem to sugest that the EGR pipe can be done away with. That is, its not needed. Is this the case?

It can be removed and blanked off although I am not sure what, if any, effect this could have on the overall emmissions. The objective of the egr is to reduce the temperature of combustion and in turn reduce nitrous oxide. I wouldn't recommend doing away with it.

Hi,

My JDM import has no EGR system fitted as they are not a requirement in Japan, it has passed it's emissions test every year and has had no running problems without it so I would remove the system and blank it off,it seems to create more problems than it cures.

The only exception to this is turbocharged engines where the EGR does have a cooling effect on the charger thus prolonging its life.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links