Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 For Under £1200...? Am I Mad...?!

Hi everyone

I'm recently joined this forum as I'm considering buying an LS400 for a very modest budget (£1200) and running it for you or two or a second car. I'm trying to do as much research as possible and I can not get over just how just how "cheap" these cars are now... or so they seem... :) I'd appreciate any feedback or advice from anyone who's recently bought an LS400 for a similar budget, can you buy really buy a LS400 for this type of money or is it just assured grief...?! :) What particular pitfalls or points should a prospective buyer look for when buying a 1992-1997 model LS400 apart from cambelt changes etc - any advice or feedback would be much appreciated.

My everyday car is an old W124 merc but don't hold that against me.

Michael

Hi,

First of all, welcome to the forum.

You should be able to pick up a (relatively) low mileage MKIII for £1200.

As you have said, the cambelt is an important factor to take into consideration, but I would also throw front top wishbones into that. Having said that, you can ge these for about £60 on eBay and, if you can fit yourself, they are not too much to worry about.

Check also for PS fluid leaking onto the alternator as this will cause premature alternator failure and they can be expensive.

One other thing is dash needles not lighting up properly and the LCD display for aircon going black.

I have owned my MKIV since March and other than that, they seem to be pretty bullet proof. Mine also has 213,000 miles on it and failed a recent MOT on, a balljoint. I am sure that an owner with a few years experience will be along soon with a more comprehensive list of what to look out for.

Oh, BTW, I see you are not too far from me so if you need someone to come and have a look with you, just shout!

Morning guys .......... absolutely bullet proof ............ just the points raised above and that's about it !

The dash and temperature lights can be sorted by Vince ( on here ) ... a relatively inexpensive and permanent fix ..... applies to the earlier models incl. 1994.

Exhaust blowings from the flanges or the EGR pipe seem to sometimes cause irritation BUT the exhausts themselves NEVER seem to need repalacing.

And apart from the fuel costs you should have great and comfortable and ( hopes ) easy and inexpensive maintenance, motoring.

Enjoy ! I have now for 8 years and wouldn't change my car for the world.

Oh, by the way, keep the sunroof drain plugs clear .............. I got flooded out the other day thru' a build up of dust etc in one of the drain holes. :tsktsk:

Malc

As quoted above you will get a very nice mark111 for £1200 If you are very cheeky & can hagle like an arab at a souk you may find a good mark1V. Christmas is on the way, petrol prices are going up, as are insurance premiums (group19).

Go for the best you can find ,you can afford to be fussy as there are always quite a few available. I bought my mark 1v 2 years ago advertised for £4k I got it for £2250,in 24,000 miles it has blown 2 tail light bulbs. I have replaced some suspension bits & the discs, only when they came up cheap & only because I intend to keep the car for as long as possible & figure that if the old parts have done 150k then the new parts will aswell.

prevention rather than cure.

eBay is a good source to buy, Ask the right questions & then if they have lied or you find its not as described you dont have to buy. Or you can get a partial discount off the sale price to make it good.

Its the best car I have owned & will probably ever own I havent a clue what I would change it for. under £25k anyway after that it would be a bently Continental Gt or an aston ( we can all dream)

Good luck Mark

ps a merc 124 is a bl++dy good car shame its the last decent built merc. The build quality of the ls400 is as good if not better than that of the w124, but much much more refined & no rust.

Bought mine 2+ years ago for £950. The first one i looked at ( i wasnt planning on keep it long)

now done 35000 miles and but for a couple of from susp joints (£60 each and 1/2 hour to change) it has let me down once because I didnt stop the PAS fluid dripping onto the alternator.

Fantastic car. Go for it mate. it will cost you less in repairs than anything else you can buy.

Been looking at these myself since writting my mk1 gs300 off which i did 65000 miles in myself and was no trouble at all, and brilliant autobox as these always go wrong on other cars.

I want an lpg ls400 or ls430 as they are stunning inside, are they as bullet proof then as the 400?

I want an lpg ls400 or ls430 as they are stunning inside, are they as bullet proof then as the 400?

You and me both :)

I'm aiming for a 2001/2002 LS430 next. Would love it to have LPG, but, just can't see it somehow :(

Mike

I want an ...ls430 as they are stunning inside...?

I absolutely agree - far nicer than a 400, particularly the Mks 1,2 & 3. Am I alone if I say I also prefer the interior of the LS430 to that of the 460?

Mind, the exterior of the Mk1 LS430 is another matter. Ahem.

You and me both :)

I'm aiming for a 2001/2002 LS430 next. Would love it to have LPG, but, just can't see it somehow :(

Mike

before buying a 2001/02 4lt v8 check how much road tax you will have to pay. id have to check but im pretty sure that a car registered after April 2001 will be taxed on emissions: and its likely to be £400+.

I want an ...ls430 as they are stunning inside...?

I absolutely agree - far nicer than a 400, particularly the Mks 1,2 & 3. Am I alone if I say I also prefer the interior of the LS430 to that of the 460?

Mind, the exterior of the Mk1 LS430 is another matter. Ahem.

I agree(sounds like the sat nav) the 430 is nicer than the previous models I have had. Wouldn't

turn down a 460 though.

As for the front, well it has grown on me and after all you don't see it from inside. Remember how we laughed at the Ford Scorpio?

Pete

Remember how we laughed at the Ford Scorpio?

Pete

But we're STILL laughing at the Scorpio! Er, except that I put Scorpio seats in my LS 400 cos they're so much more comfortable.

So, agree with all the above - spot on. One to add is the lower rear wishbones - cost a fortune from Lexus but you can just buy the (Australian made) bushes and fit easily yourself.

Cheers

Jon

"before buying a 2001/02 4lt v8 check how much road tax you will have to pay. id have to check but im pretty sure that a car registered after April 2001 will be taxed on emissions: and its likely to be £400+."

Currently it is £245 pa-just done mine. I think it is only cars registered after june 06 that get hammered(ripped off).

Pete

"before buying a 2001/02 4lt v8 check how much road tax you will have to pay. id have to check but im pretty sure that a car registered after April 2001 will be taxed on emissions: and its likely to be £400+."

Currently it is £245 pa-just done mine. I think it is only cars registered after june 06 that get hammered(ripped off).

Pete

Correct. Did mine today £435.

Pete

The road tax on my 2005 LS430 that I picked up 3 weeks ago was £245. Cars registered after March or April 2006 are taxed on CO2 emissions.

Pete

The road tax on my 2005 LS430 that I picked up 3 weeks ago was £245. Cars registered after March or April 2006 are taxed on CO2 emissions.

It breaks down like this. Although cars were taxed according to emissions from March2001, cars that were in the highest band at the time (Bank K) are only approx £245 to tax, as long as the are registered before March 2006 as they are artificially pegged when the bands were reworked.

Rooinek

I should probably add that the faults listed in this thread are pretty much exhaustive BUT, unlike normal cars where it's a list of things to look out for, this was a list of things that WILL HAPPEN and that you will have to deal with. In other words nothing terrible and nothing expensive - unless you really have a need to buy parts from Lexus. Parts are much cheaper in the States and people like Rockautos will FedEx them over.

Btw, has anybody mentioned plugs (only use OEM), wires and distributor caps. Again, all from the U.S.

Cheers

Jon

But we're STILL laughing at the Scorpio! Er, except that I put Scorpio seats in my LS 400 cos they're so much more comfortable.

Ah.. was going to do this in my 300, so the 400 aint no better than the 300 then? yes scorpio seats much better than the 300 ones

To get back to the original question--three years ago I sold my 95 mk3, with 196K on the clock, to my neighbour for £1,250. He has done 30K in it and apart from a couple of oil changes he has spent nothing except for a side light bulb and new tyres. It has never failed its MOT and every time I walk out my front door I think what a bargain he got. My neighbour thinks its the best car he's ever owned and wants to know if he can have first refusal when I sell the 430.

So yes you can get a good LS for very little, just follow the advice others have given and you won't regret it.

Pete

The 400 is probably the best car i've driven, ... im only 34, but I used to work in transport and have prob driven over half a million miles in various cars/vans/trucks, including 'the bosses' cars including 7 series & the V12 S600, but nothing has fell off mine, its never been in tio the garage for an engine breakdown in its 18 year life... which is quite amazing considering mine & all my friends past motors..

Its becoming a small burden now around MOT time due to the suspension rubbers finally giving in, but i still believe if i can sort those out at a reasonable cost (might involve getting my own hands dirty!!), then the car is certainly worth keeping as it still drives superb - even with pitted brake discs, worn suspension rubbers etc.

There is also no visible rust on the outside (please note all mercs around the same age!!), I have 3 smalll spots of rust, of which only one has bubbled and looks fragile - and thats due to an ill fitted windscreen trim at some point by a well known company who'll fix yer chips. Typically, they make you sign 1st to say everything is wavered...

And dont lock yer keys in 'cos the aa or rac bend your door back and it doesnt go back properly and you actually hear some road noise when driving your ls400!!! :shutit: Otherwise its the quietest car i've ever been in, although i have yet to try the Bentleys...:winky:

Had mine 6 years, loved every minute & dont mind spending to keep it in good nick, its that good mate...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links