Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Number Plate Fonts

winston84

Gonna change the number plates for some better looking and maybe custom size for the back but.....apart from the normal UK fonts are the other ones legal ? i seen some 'german' type fonts & some other type fonts that looks good, are they legal / pass mot ? bear in mind there same size more less as UK standard ones & just as readable, i know small fonts & unreadable ones are no no.....thnx

Not wishing to appear an 'anorak' but a quick google of DVLA produced this:

Number plates must now use one specific, mandatory typeface - a very simple sans serif typeface intended to make the numbers easy to read by both humans and automatic recognition systems, which are increasingly being used by the police and other agencies. All hard-to-read variants, such as multiple stroke and italic fonts, are now prohibited. The one decorative variation still permitted is a 3D effect version of the mandatory typeface.

The size and spacing of number plate characters is specified in the regulations, as follows:

Each character must be 79mm high and 50mm wide (except the number 1 or the letter I). The width of each character stroke must be 14mm. There must be a space of 11mm between characters within the same group, and character groups must be 33mm apart. For the purposes of measurement, each character (again, excepting the number 1 or the letter I), regardless of its shape, is treated as a rectangular block of dimensions 79mm x 50mm

Optionally, number plates may display one of the following national emblems: British Union Flag with “GB”, English Flag (St George Cross) with “ENG”, Scottish Flag (St Andrew Cross) with “SCO”, Welsh Flag (green dragon on green/white field) with “Wales” and “Cymru” or Euro Flag (circle of stars) with “GB”. If the Euro/GB configuration is displayed, then the bearer vehicle need not display a separate “GB” emblem when driving within the EU.

The colours and reflectivity of number plates are also specified in the regulations, and there is a British Standard (BS AU 145d) which describes the physical characteristics of number plates, including: visibility, strength and reflectivity. Front plates must have black characters on a white background, while rear plates must have black characters on a yellow background. The British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the following information: the British Standard Number, the name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier, the name and postcode of the supplying outlet. A non-reflective border is optional. There may be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

SUMMARY: What is required and permitted on UK road-legal number plates

Required:

White front plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)

Yellow rear plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)

The registration number of the bearer vehicle in the mandatory font (black ‘Charles Wright 2001’)

Spacing of characters and character groups in accordance with the measurements specified in the regulations. Variation is not permitted

Permitted but not required:

3D variation of the mandatory ‘Charles Wright 2001’ font

Coloured, non-reflective border

National emblem: English St George Cross with “ENG” legend, Scottish St Andrew Cross with “SCO” legend, Welsh Dragon with “WALES” and “CYMRU” legend, British Union Flag with “GB” legend) or Euro Stars symbol with “GB” legend.

No additions or variations are permitted. Common illegal variations are:

Fancy or decorative typefaces

Bolts placed in such a way as to alter the appearance of characters

Adjusted spacing between characters or character groups

Altered characters

Additional logos or symbols, such as sporting emblems and religious symbols.

There are concessions for older and vintage cars. “Historic vehicles”, i.e. those built prior to 1973, are permitted to bear the old-style black plates of either plastic or traditional metal construction.

To quote the DVLA: "Vehicles constructed before 1.1.73 may display traditional style ‘black and white’ plates i.e. white, silver or grey characters on a black plate."

uk number plate regulations are very specific, there is only 2 styles of font, which are a plain, and a 3D look version of the same font, also the spacing has to be correct between the characters, and the big space between the 'halves' of the registration has to be in the correct place, german style, and any others, are not road legal and generally bought by their owners with the understanding of a disclaimer as the plates can be bought legally, for show/off road use only

Gonna change the number plates for some better looking and maybe custom size for the back but.....apart from the normal UK fonts are the other ones legal ? i seen some 'german' type fonts & some other type fonts that looks good, are they legal / pass mot ? bear in mind there same size more less as UK standard ones & just as readable, i know small fonts & unreadable ones are no no.....thnx

no mate only uk font allowed and they are clamping down big time on non-uk standard fonts(you are allowed 3d letters though)

if you have a personal plate with less numbers(like mine L8XSS) i have 2 less numbers by law i can have a smaller plate my plate is approx 3-4 inches smaller than a non personal plate...

Not wishing to appear an 'anorak' but a quick google of DVLA produced this:

Number plates must now use one specific, mandatory typeface - a very simple sans serif typeface intended to make the numbers easy to read by both humans and automatic recognition systems, which are increasingly being used by the police and other agencies. All hard-to-read variants, such as multiple stroke and italic fonts, are now prohibited. The one decorative variation still permitted is a 3D effect version of the mandatory typeface.

The size and spacing of number plate characters is specified in the regulations, as follows:

Each character must be 79mm high and 50mm wide (except the number 1 or the letter I). The width of each character stroke must be 14mm. There must be a space of 11mm between characters within the same group, and character groups must be 33mm apart. For the purposes of measurement, each character (again, excepting the number 1 or the letter I), regardless of its shape, is treated as a rectangular block of dimensions 79mm x 50mm

Optionally, number plates may display one of the following national emblems: British Union Flag with “GB”, English Flag (St George Cross) with “ENG”, Scottish Flag (St Andrew Cross) with “SCO”, Welsh Flag (green dragon on green/white field) with “Wales” and “Cymru” or Euro Flag (circle of stars) with “GB”. If the Euro/GB configuration is displayed, then the bearer vehicle need not display a separate “GB” emblem when driving within the EU.

The colours and reflectivity of number plates are also specified in the regulations, and there is a British Standard (BS AU 145d) which describes the physical characteristics of number plates, including: visibility, strength and reflectivity. Front plates must have black characters on a white background, while rear plates must have black characters on a yellow background. The British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the following information: the British Standard Number, the name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier, the name and postcode of the supplying outlet. A non-reflective border is optional. There may be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

SUMMARY: What is required and permitted on UK road-legal number plates

Required:

White front plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)

Yellow rear plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)

The registration number of the bearer vehicle in the mandatory font (black ‘Charles Wright 2001’)

Spacing of characters and character groups in accordance with the measurements specified in the regulations. Variation is not permitted

Permitted but not required:

3D variation of the mandatory ‘Charles Wright 2001’ font

Coloured, non-reflective border

National emblem: English St George Cross with “ENG” legend, Scottish St Andrew Cross with “SCO” legend, Welsh Dragon with “WALES” and “CYMRU” legend, British Union Flag with “GB” legend) or Euro Stars symbol with “GB” legend.

No additions or variations are permitted. Common illegal variations are:

Fancy or decorative typefaces

Bolts placed in such a way as to alter the appearance of characters

Adjusted spacing between characters or character groups

Altered characters

Additional logos or symbols, such as sporting emblems and religious symbols.

There are concessions for older and vintage cars. “Historic vehicles”, i.e. those built prior to 1973, are permitted to bear the old-style black plates of either plastic or traditional metal construction.

To quote the DVLA: "Vehicles constructed before 1.1.73 may display traditional style ‘black and white’ plates i.e. white, silver or grey characters on a black plate."

they also forgot to include imports 10 years or older are allowed motor bike size plates

I got a £60 fine last week for T2MYY instead of T2 MYY :angry:

Hmmm i thought that be ok as long as the letter/numbers isnt stuck together to make it look like something else ?

No, the spacing has to be correct too.

Damm!

Meanwhile i saw this link, the fonts & the idea of clear underneath the lettering is real good not seen them in UK so think there unheard of here :(

Show plates fonts......

Its from Hong Kong so guess this is for 'show' purposes if i was to get some like this

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links