Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So with the weather guessers suggesting impending snow, my question to the forum is Socks or Chains?

Autosocks seem to have a good rep from people who bought them, but fail rapidly if driven on tarmac. As they suggest both sets of wheels for a rear wheel drive car, that is £130 which could get damaged very quickly, unless one is in and out of the car repeatedly on a journey.

Alternatively, what about chains? At least you can drive on tarmac, and they are more of a fag to put on but hopefully would last better. and do you need them on both sets of wheels too?

Any experienced folks out there care to comment? I'm asking because my IS250 was crud during the last snowfall!

Cheers

well, I don't have experience with socks. Chains :wacko: - you have to drive slowly and on the road without snow/ice it is illegal (at least here) and unconfortable and high risk of damaging the chain => heavy damage to the car.

we have also snow here in winter, I went for another set of alloys with the base size - 205/55/16 and took the best tires for snow. If there is lot of problems, I take 100kgs load to the boot.

I have had problems, but always got out without help of somebody else.

So I'd say:

1. go for narrower tires and buy set of chains for emergency

or

pewag_s_s_comp.jpg

I don't have personal experience, but I heard it works.

I think that 1 is better solution.

I have not seen that thing you've posted before but I like the way it looks! Planning to get a pair of snow socks myself just in case I get caught out.

More details please.

I know this is dumb but I've never heard of snow socks or seen anything like those clamp on devices.

This year will be first winter in my Lex and I just know it will be bad she has been slipping on frosty roundabouts already.

My last car was a front wheel drive Rover and it drove like a tank in and out of snow.

More details please.

I know this is dumb but I've never heard of snow socks or seen anything like those clamp on devices.

This year will be first winter in my Lex and I just know it will be bad she has been slipping on frosty roundabouts already.

My last car was a front wheel drive Rover and it drove like a tank in and out of snow.

If you haven't seen the snow socks they're here http://www.autosock.com/

Several interesting videos in the 'news & media' section.

A scandinavian designed product which is TUV approved and even Good Year are trying to copy it.

TG

I have not seen that thing you've posted before but I like the way it looks! Planning to get a pair of snow socks myself just in case I get caught out.

it is made by pewag - called spike spiders quick. http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

the point is very easy mounting and demounting on pre-installed adapter. (manipulation with chains is pain in the *****).

I like the idea with socks, though. How it is with mounting and demounting?

it is made by pewag - called spike spiders quick. http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

the point is very easy mounting and demounting on pre-installed adapter. (manipulation with chains is pain in the *****).

Haven't got a pair yet but from videos I've seen they look pretty straightforward to put on.

They are perfect for our weather over here, as you can keep them in the boot without them taking up any space, and just stick them on if you get caught out by some sudden heavy snowfall.

They do the spikes-spider things for the 275/35/18 sport rears (no socks to fit that size though) but I'm not convinced there would be the clearance between the arch and wheels for them to fit on. plus it is $475 plus shipping, so not cheap.

Haven't got a pair yet but from videos I've seen they look pretty straightforward to put on.

They are perfect for our weather over here, as you can keep them in the boot without them taking up any space, and just stick them on if you get caught out by some sudden heavy snowfall.

I got the snow socks last year for the RX8 and they work well but they dont last very long (40 miles after which they started fading away)... so got to remove them everytime we hit a clean piece of tarmac .... They are relatively easy to put on and off ... but everytime you drive and had to remove them they are wet ..cold... dirty ... so not worth the hassle ...

i am happy with adding weight in the boot ... homebase does 25Kg sand for £1.50 .... two bags of sand and 25kg bag of rock salt (£5.00) and a spade ...

the snow socks are good only when the snow is fresh and on ice to an extent ... not good if the snow melts away...

I ordered some snow socks this afternoon. I didnt want to experience the same problems as last year. Snow/winter tyres at £145 each werent an option and I didnt fancy snow chains on alloys. So I will give the snow socks a go and just keep them in the boot and see if they help? If not it looks like a cheep 4wd or change to an RX next year

I got 18" 225/40 Nokia Hakkapelittas 5 studded winter tires. Wondering how long the socks will last before the studs tear it up... :unsure:

Why would you want to use autosocks with studded tyres?

I got 18" 225/40 Nokia Hakkapelittas 5 studded winter tires. Wondering how long the socks will last before the studs tear it up... :unsure:

Why would you want to use autosocks with studded tyres?

Well, I got stuck at my parking lot last winter in a snowstorm. There were thick wet snow on the ground with mirror like hard ice under it. I stuck there like no tomorrow. Studded tire didn't help a sh*t Had to call friends to push out my car. Don't want to end up in that situation again this winter.

Ps, I just cannot understand why the h*ll does Lexus not offer AWD model in europe?!?!?

Hi :shutit:

[just bought a set of snow socks for the IS250. They say fit on the driving wheels only. That is if you can fit them !!!!!!.

Decided a dummy run was in order. Big problems. The width of the tyre combined with the tight clearance between the top of the tyre & the wheel arch makes it an almost impossible task. I did not succeed in fitting a sock even though the car was in the garage. If it was outside, cold, wet, dark & snowing you would die of hypothermia or have frost bite trying to fit them. They may do the business when fitted but I personally would not recommend buying them.

They state they will quickly wear out if used on tarmac & max speed is 50kph. So will be taking them on and off, well, like a pair of socks !!

Yamavira.

Hi :shutit:

[just bought a set of snow socks for the IS250. They say fit on the driving wheels only. That is if you can fit them !!!!!!.

Yamavira.

I think you may have misread/misinterpreted the fitting advice.

Snow socks only need to be fitted to driving wheels if front wheel drive. For rear wheel drive they should ideally be fitted to all 4 wheels. No good having traction then not being able to stop!

I think you may have misread/misinterpreted the fitting advice.

Snow socks only need to be fitted to driving wheels if front wheel drive. For rear wheel drive they should ideally be fitted to all 4 wheels. No good having traction then not being able to stop!

Hi Dave,

I know the recommendation is to put the socks on all 4 wheels for RWDs. However, I was wondering how important that really is. I have no doubt that it will be safer and more comfortable, but wouldn't putting it only on the rear wheels be already a big improvement? Why do you say it will not be enough to stop the car?

It's all very well being able to drive the rear wheels with the socks on and get better braking from the rear wheels, but braking and steering from the front will still be pants :(

The thing I found though with the snow last year was that if I kept at a pretty slow speed (you'd be stupid to go any quicker anyway really) I didn't have too much of a problem with turning or stopping. I just could not get any traction at the rear to pull away when stopped even on the slightest of inclines.

So I do think on the rears would be sufficient based on my experience, but it would be prudent to put them on all round.

It really would be prudent to put them on all 4 wheels. I agree.

However the comments have drifted away from the point I was attempting to make. That being HOW DO YOU GET THE SOCKS ON IN THE FIRST PLACE !!!.As I stated in my original posting (before it wandered off) the tyre size & wheel fit in the wheel arch makes it a really difficult task getting a sock on. Let alone 4.

If there is a technique, other than that provided with the product, please share it.

Last winter I found it almost impossible, despite all of the Lexus auto technology, getting any traction on the slightest of inclines. I wish to avoid that happening this winter. At this moment in time I do not feel tyre socks are the answer. Seriously thinking of getting a set of winter tyres, yes a set, 4 tyres. An expensive outlay but it is that or a more suitable vehicle.

yamavira.

That being HOW DO YOU GET THE SOCKS ON IN THE FIRST PLACE !!!.As I stated in my original posting (before it wandered off) the tyre size & wheel fit in the wheel arch makes it a really difficult task getting a sock on.

Fair point, is your car quite lowered then? I haven't fitted one so I don't know but I thought it's basically an elasticated cover that you slip over wheel, so as long as you have just enough clearance to get your hand over the wheel it should be fine.

However if your car is lowered such that your wheels are almost tucked into the arch, then it could be difficult - I guess the only other option would be to jack the car up and fit it from below but that doesn't seem ideal given that it would be snowing!

My car is a bog standard IS250 auto. It has not been lowered or modified in anyway. As I stated in my original posting the clearance between the top of the tyre/wheel and the wheel arch, together with the width of the standard tyre makes it very very difficult to fit the sock over the top of the tyre let alone fit it around the rest of the tyre. I have yet to succeed in fitting a sock and that is with the car in the "comfort" of my garage.

yamavira.

Well guys,when I lived in Germany,(Armed Forces..42 years, all weathers,including Norway, Germany, GULF war(no SNow there!Flalklands etc)) I drove a tuned (200bhp)Reliant Scimitar Auto through 3 heavy snow type winters. I had snow chains fitted to the rear only....18 inch alloys. With care and a sensible speed you do not need them on all 4 wheels. All the German cars normally have them fitted to drive wheels only as do the Bund Polizei. Yes they can be a pig to fit but if you want to keep movin???. To carry on they were fitted to my Lexus IS250 auto last winter, rear wheels, a bit close to the alloys which got a little scuffed by the end of the snow. However, I was crossing the Lambourne Downs on a regular basis whithout any problems stopping or steeering. The only time I got slightly stuck was when an incompetent woman driver in a 4x4 forced me into a snow drift because she was frightened of getting out of tyre tracks!!. I dug myself out easily, using a couple of old strips of carpet to help traction initally with no further problems. PREPARATION is essential, carry a couple of sand bags, 50 kg..and it can be used to help traction by spreading it under wheels. Carry a spade, a couple of strips of carpet, at least a metre long, ensure you dress for the snow and use sensible speed, 15-20 mph, any faster and you WILL lose control.

Regards

Ray

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links