Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Smoking Diesel

jbhepburn

mine is booked in for 2 days with lexus,will keep you all posted

Lexus newcastle have sorted my car under warranty,brand new particulate filter i knew it wasn't normal for so much smoke,have to say outstanding service from lexus-newcastle,courtesy car,sorted problem and all it needd was one signature,10/10 newcastle.

was is smoking like this one or more?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what mine was like. Maybe not quite as bad and more noticable when moving off and for a 30 seconds or so afterwards. I think (but obviously can't say for sure based on the video) the smoke occurred more noticably on the gear change. It's very hard to determine how bad the smoke is when you have to keep an eye on the road in front.

hmm, then apparently the toyota customer care varies according to the country, which is pretty ****ty... such a smoke is in Czech and Slovak republic considered as NORMAL.

hmm, then apparently the toyota customer care varies according to the country, which is pretty ****ty... such a smoke is in Czech and Slovak republic considered as NORMAL.

that is not normal mate you need a new particulate filter,mine is superb now no smoke at all ever,i was told by lexus the filter failing is very common are you still under warranty.

for the toyota the part filter is not far away from £1000 then depending on the state of the pipes and sensors it might req them too the pipe alone is over £150 then you have the killer the labour take the rav4 and the verso you get 9 hours to change them...

for the toyota the part filter is not far away from £1000 then depending on the state of the pipes and sensors it might req them too the pipe alone is over £150 then you have the killer the labour take the rav4 and the verso you get 9 hours to change them...

no is out of warranty!does the car feel any diff with the new part then?

to be honest the smoke in that video isnt that bad and i'd be happy to live with that....

diesels will become smokey through time why worie about it....

no is out of warranty!does the car feel any diff with the new part then?

Car drives just aswell aas it always has but now no smoke at all ever,mine is still under warranty but runs out this year,i am going to extend for 2 years the ocost on the invoice for particulat filter fitted was £1950 so not a cheap part

Alright, i have similar problem. Smoke, but white like oil. This happens maybe once a week for 10 sec. I drive in the city 90% of total driving time. I do not have a particle filter. I haven't check the EGR valve yet. Car drives smooth and last weekend rich 200km/h. Any advice ?

Adi

Alright, i have similar problem. Smoke, but white like oil. This happens maybe once a week for 10 sec. I drive in the city 90% of total driving time. I do not have a particle filter. I haven't check the EGR valve yet. Car drives smooth and last weekend rich 200km/h. Any advice ?

Adi

you must have a particulate filter it is actually part of the exhaust,get a new one (under warranty if you can) and all your problems disappear trust me i have done it.

Well, auto is imported from the Netherlands. When i went to the RAR which is similar with MOT in UK they didn't mentioned anything about particle filter. This feature should be mentioned on the car's identity card but nothing in there. Also on the original papers from the Netherlands either. I haven't looked under the car yet but if you have any pics of this particle filter i will check and then keep you informed. Thanks

All IS220d have DPF (diesel particulate filter). Same happened to me yesterday, it was -2 degrees. I revved up over 3k for one kilometer and then no smoke at all. Just drive your car once a month on high rev (extra urban) so the DPF can clean itself. It is a very expensive part as it has platinum in it as well as the catalytic converter.

Alright, i just put the phone down after a discussion with Lexus Romania. The answer i got is Lexus is220d doesn't have particle filter. They said is a sort of but is called D-Kat ?!? So, i ask, can you release an official document that the car doesn't have a Diesel Particle Filter? And they answered NO. I went to a friend of mine with service auto and they confirmed YES, mine has Diesel Particle Filter even without looking under the car. The sensor and all tubes can be easily found with the hood open. They said Toyota was the first car producer who installed on their models DPF. Any advice?

Updates regarding this issue. Yes, it is confirmed. Lexus is220d has DPF Particle Filter they said is even more than a Diesel Particle Filter because the good thing on this one doesn't have to be changed due to the 5th injector. It cleans itself. Now, i am waiting for their confirmation if possible to give an official document to prove that my car has Diesel Particle Filter on it. This is just stupid, i have to waste my time because the Dutch dealer didn't provide me with this document. Tomorrow i will have the answer and let you know.

Another thing i realized yesterday. Even if i have winter tires on it, i still got stuck in the snow. And it not even deep, like 10-15cm. My opinion is the tires are way to big for snow. Right now i have 225/45/17 on front and 245/45/17 on rear. Tires are not new but aprox 70% thread. I think is better for snow to use smaller tires like 205/55/16. What do you think ?

Adi

Just got back after long running around and wasting lot of my time. So, my Lexus has a Particle Filter called DPNR. On the Romanian law is stated that this car doesn't have DPF. Well, is true this DPNR is something more evolute but who cares. Compared with regular DPF BMW or Mercedes this DPNR Toyota filter can regenerate himself. My Lexus doesn't have Diesel Particle Filter in Romania. Can you believe this, filter in on the car, they confirmed at RAR similar with MOT inspection but i still don't get it on papers. ****! If this filter is stated on car registration papers i will pay less 3-400 euro on pollution tax, so instead of 980 euro, now i have to pay 1350 euro. I had discuss with Toyota Romania as well and they confirmed in writing that this car had diesel particle filter but still useless.

What the hell am i suppose to do now to get what's right for me? Any advice? ... ****** you Romania with your stupid law. I will sue the Romanian government with this stupid discriminated law. Sorry for my language but i am so disappointed of this place.

So Lexus appear to have spun me a line on the "petrol in tank" as the cause of the smoking. It's booked in again today. I'm waiting for them to call me to tell me what the real problem is. I reckon they'll make up some other excuse related to the "petrol" problem just so that they cover themselves when I ask for my £300 for them misdiagnosing the problem.

I don't expect them to tell me that the problem is the particulate filter but we'll see. Is there a chance that petrol in the tank could have caused a problem with the particulate filter?

Mine went back into Lexus this week for 70K service and MOT - no issues with either but I asked them about the smoking - as previously said on this forum my EGR valve failed last July so was replaced.

Anyway they have said they will have the car back in for a week to take the engine apart, as suspect pistons (probably rings etc) so by the sounds of it they will be rebuilding the top part of the engine.

I think a few 220d's on here have had the same work done under warranty (this car is covered for this up to 100K iirc pre-2007 cars).

It still may very well be the EGR again (cleaning iteself or about to go) but it is getting worse. Well as I have a courtesy car I thought I would let rebuild as apparently the new parts they fit arent succeptable to the same issues.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links