Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls 430 Or Gs 430 Which One Help

Hi, i am looking to purchase either a LS 430 or a GS 430 price range £4-6000.I have seen

some nice GS430s on autotrader around 2002/3,but now i am also looking at the LS 430s because

it is only 6" longer there,s not much in it size wise.The LS looks far more luxurious simiular

mpg but with more gadgets more to go wrong.eg how long does the air suspension last

is there any way to tell if its on its way out"must be expensive to replace" etc,etc

any help/advice on this matter would be greatful,seen a nice LS430 2001 "Y" for £5500,Thanks Brian :duh:

I've had an LS400 Mk4 in the past but not an LS430 - I have read some nasty tales on here about the air suspension going wrong along with air conditioning in the rear regards the LS430. Of course I'm sure LS430 owners could correct me here but it put me off an LS430 for a secondary car a while ago.

The GS430 Mk2 is quite 'simple' in comparison to the LS430 in that sense, but at the end of the day if you can look at both cars I would ask the question why are you looking at these cars? Is it magic carpet ride in a straight line? If so the LS430 is streets ahead of the GS430 but if you want something that isn't quite so imposing with no air suspension, the GS430 fits the bill.

I've had a GS430 sport for the last 5 years having had a GS430 ordinary car before that and I'm very happy with it - yes the ride can be a bit unsettling over uneven surfaces but then it is supposed to be sport!

The payback is in better handling due to the revised suspension - the standard GS430 is ok but not a patch on the sport model. With the LS400 I loved the car but going round a tight corner was always a bit of a chore due to the wallow nature of the car - great ride in a straight line though which the GS430 could never hope to match.

At the end of the day it is personal preference but I think if maintenance is your worry then the GS430 may be a better choice due to lower servicing costs and less things to go wrong. However if that is not a concern then it becomes more difficult, both cars have similar economy but the LS has a larger fuel tank.

Either way they are both great cars.

I currently have a LS430 and I love it. I have also driven the GS430 Sport and that to was excellent. I only went for the LS430 for the gadgets.

I know some one who has a GS430 Sport with SAT NAV, silver with 70k on the clock and is looking to sell it. I think he wanted just under £5k. Car is imaculate and interior is so clean. I dont know how he does it.

regards

Ifty

I've had an LS400 Mk4 in the past but not an LS430 - I have read some nasty tales on here about the air suspension going wrong along with air conditioning in the rear regards the LS430. Of course I'm sure LS430 owners could correct me here but it put me off an LS430 for a secondary car a while ago.

The GS430 Mk2 is quite 'simple' in comparison to the LS430 in that sense, but at the end of the day if you can look at both cars I would ask the question why are you looking at these cars? Is it magic carpet ride in a straight line? If so the LS430 is streets ahead of the GS430 but if you want something that isn't quite so imposing with no air suspension, the GS430 fits the bill.

I've had a GS430 sport for the last 5 years having had a GS430 ordinary car before that and I'm very happy with it - yes the ride can be a bit unsettling over uneven surfaces but then it is supposed to be sport!

The payback is in better handling due to the revised suspension - the standard GS430 is ok but not a patch on the sport model. With the LS400 I loved the car but going round a tight corner was always a bit of a chore due to the wallow nature of the car - great ride in a straight line though which the GS430 could never hope to match.

At the end of the day it is personal preference but I think if maintenance is your worry then the GS430 may be a better choice due to lower servicing costs and less things to go wrong. However if that is not a concern then it becomes more difficult, both cars have similar economy but the LS has a larger fuel tank.

Either way they are both great cars.

:blush: HI Scandy, thanks for the reply,i am looking for comfort as apposed to performance

as i,m 56 now and need to slow down a bit,lol lol.I think i am right in thinking

the GS430 sport also has air suspension so in that respect the choice is LS430 and because

i only do 6/7000 miles a year fuel consumption is not realy an issue. The real thing that worries me is the cost of the air suspension should it go wrong eg, air bags,sensors etc.From what i can see on the forums the engine/gearbox etc are bullet proof

as long as proper maintainance has been followed then anything else is what any other car could suffer from but then again other cars are not built like a lexus.I think i

just need to take the plunge and find one that offers the most "goodies",least mileage and least owners. Cheers Brian ;)

I havent owned either of these models. Mines an LS400 and very happy i am with it but if the Y reg LS430 you have looked at was registered before 1 March 2001 its road tax will be based on the old system and not on co2 immissions.

If im not mistaken, this could set you back £435 for a LS430 registered after 1 March 2001.

Registerted before March 2006 is the changeMy link

Dont want to get into a bust up over this (and i think we both have half of the whole picture) but according to the DVLA the rules changed a couple of years ago and were backdated to march 2001.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

Lexus LS430 (in fact any car with the higher emissions) registered before March 2006 fall in to band K, £245 per year.

I paid £435 for my LS430 which was registered in May 2006 (band M) and now pay £435 for the LS460 (also band M).

Dont want to get into a bust up over this (and i think we both have half of the whole picture) but according to the DVLA the rules changed a couple of years ago and were backdated to march 2001.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

If you check your link again, look at band K and the footnote after the costings. Gives figure of £245 which is what I pay on my GS 430.

If you are paying five and a half grand for a motor, a couple of hundred quid really aint an issue. Or have I missed something?

Its like paying £25 for a rib of beef and being :tsktsk: off about 20p of gravy.

Totally agree....wish mine was only £5.5k when I purchased it.

Hello,

I was faced with the same decision 15 months ago. The potential problems with the height sensors were a concern, but I was given a warranty for 1 year which whilst being limited to 1k per claim,does actually cover these items. I was then contacted by the warranty provider(Olympic Warranties), and offered the chance to extend the cover to 2 years for £150 which I did as I thought this a very reasonable premium. As long as they don't all go at the same time I should be ok. If you check the warranty companies you may be able to to buy some cover yourself. As far as normal servicing costs there's nothing in it.

I drove both GS and LS and felt that the ride quality of the LS was better and is a great deal less roly-poly than my previous mk 4. You can also adjust the suspension at the flick of a switch -to sport mode- which reduces body roll but makes the ride a bit harder.

You certainly get all the toys with the LS but ask yourself if you need them. for example the relaxing rear seats are very nice but, (being selfish), I don't sit in the back. It's rare any one does. I love the gadgets and am happy that for me the LS is better.

Both are great cars and i'm sure you will be pleased with either.

Pete

PS the tax is £245 pre march 2006.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links