Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I currently drive a 1996 Mk III which I really like-I have had a couple of problems with it(corrosion of the rear brakes and the front to back brake pipes both side were perforated like a teabag, and a front spring broke last winter) but for a car with 225,000 miles on it, I expect some issues. Luckily I have found a really good Lexus trained mechanic (and Lexus nut) in Essex to maintin it.

However, I have a hankering for a Mk IV and have driven a couple, both with convential suspension. I liked them both but can't really choose between them-they are even the same colour! A mate rang me yesterday to tell me one of his customers is thinking of selling their 2000 year MkIV and I've arranged to see it. I know little about it except for the mileage (higher than the other two I've seen, but I have been assured it has been nearly all covered on the motorway), it has a full Lexus service history, has air suspension and has the "Premium Pack".

I've used the search facility here, but can't find anything regarding the relaibility of the air suspension, or what over and above the standard luxuries the Premium Pack offers. Anyone give me any pointers?

Thanks

Hi I may be wrong but as far as I know air suspension was not an option on a Mark1v (not on uk models anyway).

the only options were wood steering wheel/gear knob,gold badges & dhp wheels/suspension (springs not air).

Premium packs & air started in 2000 on the 430 again as far as I know.

I went to look at this car today-no air suspension and equipped no differently from other MkIV's I have looked at. Higher mileage than I was told, rust on one wheel arch (first rust I have seen on an LS400) and the leather had worn badly on the drivers seat bolster.

To be honest, none of the MkIV's i have seen have had a body in as good a condition as my car, drove any nicer, or has supension that felt as cossetting. My car has the DHP wheels on it and I expected it to have a harsher ride than on 16 inch wheels. All the MkIV's I have driven have been on 16 inch wheels.

I am asking myself whether the extra outlay for a MkIV is worth it. I'm now thinking that I should spend a little on mine getting the niggly little faults (no backlight on the radio or gear lever panel, bit of paintwork on the front bumper) sorted.

I'm bloody useless with a soldering iron-anyone know a company or individual who can repair the radio/gearlever lights on my MkIII?

I know how you feel. My car's done 141,000 but runs very well, and it's hard to see what point there would be in spending more than twice what I paid for it in order to get a newer one. Even the last of the LS400s would be only 2-3 years younger, and if it had done a low mileage it would cost a lot of money.

I have thought about this for a couple of days now, and have decided to stick with my MkIII. The money I would have had to find to buy it as well as the hassel of selling mine I have decided against it.

I'll be spending a few hundred getting the front bumper repaired and both of them painted, and the one tiny little ding in the door pulled out. It will do me for another 250,000 miles I am sure.

I have thought about this for a couple of days now, and have decided to stick with my MkIII. The money I would have had to find to buy it as well as the hassel of selling mine I have decided against it.

I'll be spending a few hundred getting the front bumper repaired and both of them painted, and the one tiny little ding in the door pulled out. It will do me for another 250,000 miles I am sure.

Too right :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links