Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check Engine Message And Vsr Ligt On

just about to buy a lexus 1998 ls400

On test drive a check engine message was displayed and a red light came on together with the vsr off light (traction control)

Tried to over-ride with vsr switch but no joy. Should I walk away or let them fix it

Anyone know if its a common fault

Chris

Walk away that's probably the reason it is being sold, faults and all or ring Lexus and get a repair estimate then deduct that from the asking price,you'll probably get the car for free then!

Today I had the engine check light come on. I was waiting at traffic lights, and when I went to move off - it wouldn't as the engine had cut out. It did the same at subsequent stops, but started easily enough again. It seemed that the tickover is too low as I could hold it on the throttle to stop this happening. I changed the Battery the other day, and this was it's first run out, so it may be that the ECU is learning (hope anyway).

When I got the car home it ticked over just fine with no warning lights on - strange.

pete

Hi Topher

I'm looking to buy an LS400 as well. I wonder if I saw the same car as you? 1998, dark green, trader selling on a country lane location just south of the M25 for £1790? If it's this one, I'd walk away as well, I did. The transmission oil was not just dirty, but also seemed contaminated. On test drive, the accelerator had to be pushed quite far and the revs quite high before the vehicle moved off. This was the first LS400 I'd test driven so this maybe normal (??) but I've had auto boxes on many other cars (Camrys, Senator, Carina) and all moved off as soon as you applied the accelerator. Also there were a host of electrical issue which they claimed were down to a low Battery... possibly true, but why not put a new Battery in? The boot was also wet (boot seal needed?) and a total lack of service history for the last 40,000 miles. As others have said, plenty of good ones out there if we are patient ;-)All the best,

Stupot

Hi Topher

I'm looking to buy an LS400 as well. I wonder if I saw the same car as you? 1998, dark green, trader selling on a country lane location just south of the M25 for £1790? If it's this one, I'd walk away as well, I did. The transmission oil was not just dirty, but also seemed contaminated. On test drive, the accelerator had to be pushed quite far and the revs quite high before the vehicle moved off. This was the first LS400 I'd test driven so this maybe normal (??) but I've had auto boxes on many other cars (Camrys, Senator, Carina) and all moved off as soon as you applied the accelerator. Also there were a host of electrical issue which they claimed were down to a low battery... possibly true, but why not put a new battery in? The boot was also wet (boot seal needed?) and a total lack of service history for the last 40,000 miles. As others have said, plenty of good ones out there if we are patient ;-)All the best,

Stupot

Hi Stupot

Unless you're on a hill, the car should move off at tick-over or fractionally above. You were right to walk away from it on that point alone. Fortunately, you were aware having had autos, but the uninitiated could have fallen for this one. I too have had many autos and the gearbox on these cars is amazingly smooth in comparison.

Also, highly unlikely that a poor Battery would result in electrical issues. More likely lack of care and maintenance.

The boot leaking has been an issue for some owners and there are various solutions of which a replacement seal is one.

Don't let this seller put you off one of the best cars in the world.

Also, highly unlikely that a poor battery would result in electrical issues. More likely lack of care and maintenance.

A poor Battery definitely caused problems on MK IV, check VSC warnings on startup and occasional crash of the EMV with a frozen display, all cured with a new Battery.

Richard

Every day's a school day. Don't suppose my radio backlight issue could be cured with a new Battery though :crying:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links