Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Adaptive Front Headlights (Afs)

Quick question on AFS - the adaptive front headlights.

It's blatently obvious at night what you take a right hand bend. You can see the beam turn in, however, I find it difficult to notice going round left handers.

Is this because of the drivers position (on the right) or do I have a fault? Ballasts were replaced about 3 months ago under extended warranty - Well I say ballasts but its the whole headlight unit, left and right replaced.

The beam does level both sides when starting the car.

Based on my experience in our Mercedes which has adaptive lights, the reason you don't really notice it when turning left is that the lights already point to the left slightly so the difference isn't as noticeable. Whereas it's more obvious when the lights pointing left start pointing right.

However if you're unsure if the system is working correctly, stand at the front of the car and have someone turn the wheel from left to right, and see if the headlights move correctly.

Based on my experience in our Mercedes which has adaptive lights, the reason you don't really notice it when turning left is that the lights already point to the left slightly so the difference isn't as noticeable. Whereas it's more obvious when the lights pointing left start pointing right.

However if you're unsure if the system is working correctly, stand at the front of the car and have someone turn the wheel from left to right, and see if the headlights move correctly.

Unfortunately, that won't work. The Lexus adaptive headlight system is disabled until the car is moving at 12 mph.

Unfortunately, that won't work. The Lexus adaptive headlight system is disabled until the car is moving at 12 mph.

Oh sorry, my mistake. I thought they turned all the time, at least I thought the Merc ones did but I'll have to check it out now to be sure.

There's a steep, narrow hill with lots of tight bends that I often drive down in the dark, and in doing so the operation of the adaptive headlight system on my IS250 SE-L appeared to be a lot more obvious than on my IS-F. I'm not sure why, perhaps there's a variation in the speed at which the system starts to operate as some of the bends require the speed to be dropped to near that 12 mph limit?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links