Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Wind Noise At High Speed & Damaged Windcreen Seal

Samba

Hello all,

I have just noticed wind noise at high speed(>70mph)in my car which I had for six months and is 18 months old. It has started after a routine 10000 mile service. I also then saw a damaged windcreen seal on driver side and a clip securing it seems broken.

Though I don't know how it happened, I suspect something at service. But they don't do anything there, do they?

I can't believe that the original part will just snap at this age, or will it?

Any suggestions on cause and remedy welcome.

i used to have this problem as well. At first i thought it was normally to have this wind noise when reaching certain speed. I had my suspicious that it might have been a faulty seal but just left it. One day when it rained and iced up i woke up to find out that water gotten inside so i decided to get it checked out and they told me it was a faulty seal. Once they replaced it the wind noise disappeared as well :)

hope that helps.

PS the noise came from the passenger side

as a toyota tec this is the **** that pisses me off!!!!!!it just happened after the service......NO IT DIDNT..no one would tamper with a windscreen seal..if i wanted to Delibrately do damage to your car the last thing id do is tamper with a poxy window seal...we get this crap all the time customer; ever since you fitted that rear tyre my cars mis-firing!!crap you just want a free repair!!

rant over

also plastic gets brittle and yes it can snap on its own also the force of the wind on the seal can brake the clip..

take it back to lexus ask them to diag the fault either that or contact auto screens,to fit the seal you need to remove the windscreen..

as a toyota tec this is the **** that pisses me off!!!!!!it just happened after the service......NO IT DIDNT..no one would tamper with a windscreen seal..if i wanted to Delibrately do damage to your car the last thing id do is tamper with a poxy window seal...we get this crap all the time customer; ever since you fitted that rear tyre my cars mis-firing!!crap you just want a free repair!!

rant over

also plastic gets brittle and yes it can snap on its own also the force of the wind on the seal can brake the clip..

take it back to lexus ask them to diag the fault either that or contact auto screens,to fit the seal you need to remove the windscreen..

I am sorry if I rubbed you up the wrong way, but there was no problem before and I can understand it may just be co-incidence. I am sure the purpose of these sites is for non-techies like me to get wider opinion and not just from techies.

Thanks for your advise. Much appreciated. For the techie, the part of the question is, is plastic allright to be brittle in a 18 month old expensive, luxury car? How can Lexus wriggle out of poor part claim?(since you brought it up). Can you put your ordinary-chap-on-the-street hat when you answer this one?

Thanks

i used to have this problem as well. At first i thought it was normally to have this wind noise when reaching certain speed. I had my suspicious that it might have been a faulty seal but just left it. One day when it rained and iced up i woke up to find out that water gotten inside so i decided to get it checked out and they told me it was a faulty seal. Once they replaced it the wind noise disappeared as well :)

hope that helps.

PS the noise came from the passenger side

Thanks for this. Was your problem extensive enough to need windscreen removal? I am concerned about it because it definitely is new onset.

Samba

sounds like the seal.

prob been tampered with. has the car ever had a replaced windscreen before ?

get it checked, might be able to fill it up with silicone sealant.

Thanks. Bought it from Lexus 6 months ago. No admissions of windscreen change as far as I know. Is sealant job long-lasting?

It is definitely new noise problem. Is this fault covered by guarantees(18 month old vehicle), any experience?

Samba

It sounds like someone left the window opened slightly and when you go fast you get that high pitch noise. I got the seal replaced which cost me £120 i think and i didnt need to get a new front screen which was my most concern.

If you can get someone to push the ceiling up from the inside and apply pressure to where the sound might be coming from it should become silent, thats how i figured out it was coming from the passenger side.

hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links