Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi all, I have just borrowed today a rx400h from a friend and it's actually the first time driving one of them. It doesn't sound like the engine is on after starting because so quiet. Anyway it hardly seems to use the Battery power other than at startup. Super comfy and on display it's showing around 23mpg which is terrible, I've only driven 2 motorway trips and a bit of in town driving. 

3 hours ago, b4u2 said:

Anyway it hardly seems to use the battery power other than at startup. Super comfy and on display it's showing around 23mpg which is terrible, I've only driven 2 motorway trips and a bit of in town driving. 

Based on poor mpg and not noticing the petrol engine shutting down points to the possibly needs the ISC reset, which may need to be done if the 12v Battery is disconnected/goes flat.

1) Make sure the vehicle is fully warmed up.

2) With the vehicle stopped and in Drive, press firmly on the brake with left foot to keep the vehicle from moving and then press the accelerator while watching the power meter (to the left of the speedometer). Press down on the accelerator to keep the needle between 1/4 and 3/4 up the scale. You will find that the engine management system will automatically limit the engine load no matter how far you press down on the pedal so the amount you press is not critical as long as it is either at 1/2 scale or to the engine's self-limiting load value (e.g 1/4). Keep the engine loaded for a full 30 seconds but not longer than 40 seconds (this procedure brings the hybrid Battery up to a maximum state of charge - if you watch the Battery symbol, you willl see it tick up to a "full" display).

3) Place in park and turn off.

4) Wait 5 seconds.

5) Turn the ignition key back on to display "Ready".

6) Make sure the A/C and heater system controls are set to off.

6) Lightly press the accelerator pedal until the engine starts - then immediately take your foot off the accelerator and let the engine run until it stops by itself.

• Like 1

I would suggest that it much depends upon what you're used to driving.

In the current warm ('ish) climate the 3.3L V6 that purrs under the bonnet should give way to Battery both on start up and careful driving with little or no noise. But if you drive it hard and want to get somewhere double quick then the V6 will do its job ... but at a cost.

This is my first hybrid and I've learnt to change my driving style. The 400h CVT takes a while to get used to if you want to get the most out of the power ratios available without it costing you on mpg.

Yes, I was on about 24 MPG – but on a long cruise control drive to south of France I got up to 35MPG. And I believe the cruise control application seems to get the best performance on longer open drives rather than foot. Though it isn't adaptive (which is the one thing I'd like).

The ISC reset is a good idea

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links