Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Drivign Accross Europe - Any Tips?

Jobow

Hi all

I thinking of driving accross to Swtizerland in April, to visit family.

I have never done this, so wonder if any of you have any pearls of wisdom you would like to share?

Routes?

What maintenance items I should carry in case of emergency?

Modifications for driving in other countries?

Insurance?

Breakdown?

Tunnel or ferry?

Points of interest?

Any tips gladly welcome?

Thanks in advance?

get the correct breakdown cover & let your insurance know.

keep your driving license on you.

open sat nav would be an essential.

ferry crossover would be better.

may i ask what model lexus you will be departing with ?

Plus with an auto IS.... bloody deep pockets for fuel :lol:

Should be a lot of fun :)

The boat will take about an hour and a half and the tunnel is half the time but you can use the time on the boat to eat. Take the shortest route by water as your Lexus is much quicker than any boat. I took mine to France 6 years ago and alot of the french were staring at it, dont think they had seen many before.

You wont need breakdown cover, you have a Lexus. I am sure I read somewhere that the speed camera warnings on the satnav are illegal in Europe. You might want to check just so you know so you can quickly turn it off. Enjoy the stress free roads.

Get a good tom tom which covers europe. GB sticker on the rear so other drivers will know why your blinding them in the night. Always keep water, blanket and a first aid kit. Ring your insurance and get covered to drive in europe if it doesnt cover you already. I would personaly reccomend AA breakdown even though its a lex, in worse case scenario they will bring you and the car back to the uk. I think i paid an odd £60 for it when i traveled to germany. I would go on the ferry as thats the time to get some rest and a good snack. Keep the car tanked with fuel when you get there just incase you dont find a petrol station is miles. (bad experiance) dont ask. Other than that the roads are beutiful along with the scenry put it on cruise control and enjoy!

The French especially see an English car as an easy target so take it easy near to the ports,also stand alone units for speed camera warnings are a no no (thepolice take credit cards !!),unless you've got it hidden :winky: ,not sure on Sat-nav warnings though.Petrol stations in the more rural areas they still shut for the 3 hour lunch and the automated pumps don't always accept English cards.But the best advice is to just enjoy it,even on the motorway the scenery can be amazing .

Just back from south west of of france, 2500 miles in total in my IS300 Auto and for those worried re fuel i got 550 miles from each tank using Cruise control and 65 - 70mph generally. Car was a delight, very comfortable, used no oil, some screenwash was only additive other than fuel. No problems from Gendarmerie with my sat Nav. I actually enjoyed ny drive. Would love the Swiss trip mind you, i think the alpine Roads would be a blast.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links