Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

60,000 Mile Service

I own a 2005 IS 200 sport with only 31,000miles on the clock. According to the service booklet I will be due for a major 60K service. I visited Lexus Milton Keynes and was quoted £931 inc VAT. The service Manager stated that I would need to have the Timing Belt and Cam Belt changed with all the other bits. Considering the car has done so little mileage should I really be spending nearly £1000 on a service?

hello & welcome to the forum.

100k cambelt due.

plugs 60k.

in your case change the oil & air filter with the engine oil.

get the cambelt & aux belts all checked.

the cambelt is the timing belt.

get it checked at 60k. if required then replace.

for your info, dealers say 100k.

you should be ok for now tho at 31k

This business over the timing belt. My instinctive reaction to reading this post was NO the timing belt must be changed at 6 years or 60K miles, whichever is sooner. On checking my service history sheets I find that up until 2005 Lexus were saying 6 years or 100K miles, whichever is the sooner. In 2005 they say 10 years or 100K miles, whichever is the sooner. Unfortunately I don't have the schedules for 2006 onwards. So if it hasn't been changed, then you don't need a belt change.

Has anybody else got the 2006 onwards service sheets?

If your car is out of warranty, I would go to a good independent. IS200's are very familiar to the motor trade and you will save a fortune.

hello & welcome to the forum.

100k cambelt due.

plugs 60k.

in your case change the oil & air filter with the engine oil.

get the cambelt & aux belts all checked.

so essentially I do not need to have the Cam Belt of Timing Belt change?

Hi it rather surprises me that people find it rather difficult to follow simple instructions/guidelines,your cam belt is due a change therefore get it changed 6yrs,60,000mls or as some say 100000 mls whichever comes 1st.So eventhough its only done 31,000mls its 6 years old this year so needs doing.However the choice is yours and if your cam belt goes you will only have yourself to blame and are looking at a big bill.Do the right thing a word is enough for the wise.

I had exactly the same dilemma a year ago with my 2004 car with 50K on the clock. I understood from reading on here that the belt change was amended by Lexus from 6yrs/100k to 6ys/60K. Whether this is right or not the car was still 6 yrs old and I chose to get the work done rather than having it on my mind.

The main dealer did the service, belt & tensioner change (not water pump) and mot for around £640 if I remember correctly. I'd just get the best price you can and get the work done (£1000 seems a bit steep, even for a main dealer).

Too much conflicting info on this, due to premature wear Lexus changed the cambelt change to 6 yrs or 60k. The 6 year part has never changed though so given that your car is 6 years old it needs a replacement regardless.

However as quoted my 60k cambelt service cost around £650 too from Lexus Woodford so I'd try a few other dealers or haggle a bit as they'll come down :)

Does the current service sheet (the one with schedule spelt out) quote 6 years or 60K miles?

When I had mine done in 2008 the service schedule (which was revised March 2007) still said 6 yrs or 100k. Doesn't matter though as Lexus have changed the criteria.

329776068.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links