Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bought my first Lexus, a 98 series 2 GS300, a month ago. I have admit a slight disappointment; the styling is fine, the performance is fine, the ride is fine. The audio is pretty dreadful, but the real issue is that it's so noisy! It rattles from odd places like the sunroof, the driver's window, the rear cupholders... and research here seems always to lead to "yes, they all do that." This is a 60k car with full Lexus history.

The road noise is disappointing too; not just tyre noise (it's wearing Yokohamas) but every car that goes past the other way can be heard from miles away. There's also the dreaded wind noise at anything over 40mph.

It's about as noisy as my previous 98 Mondeo, and it's WAY noisier than my friend's 96 BMW740.

So. Should I have bought an LS?

Helloooooo

An LS or 7-series are in a different class of car (and different price bracket!) to the GS, so you would expect them to be slightly better at keeping out noise.

Did you test drive a GS before you bought? If so......did you not notice this at the time of test driving? If not, and it is noticeably that bad, maybe you have a problem?

Hi dipstick,

Hmmm,

I don't recognize this at all, the wind/road noise could come from poor door seals, my car has only travelled 29.000 km and I just saw that on the top left of the drivers door the click button seal was broken. Strangely..

Also your comment on the Yokohama's (advan I take it) can be right if you have been driving with low tyre pressure for long time. I had this and everytime I thought the front bearings where damaged, it turned out to be severe tyre wear on the outside of the tyre giving the noise. I have replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza, which of course a completely different tyre.

Ratling is present if windows(front) are down and you slam the door! otherwise I cannot say ther is much to complain about . But having said that, my former car was the 2002 edition of the IS200 sport, and it had a definite more solid feel when you drove it. Everything was as tight as a drum.

Audio can be fixed, Lexus will remove my radio next week so I can do some modifications on the tuner as Justin Cockett has suggested. It was my desire to enhance that brought me into contact with Justin, I supplied him the drawings and with his knowledge it must work! Must say it is for the post august 2000 models. Other stereo systems must each be reveiwed.

regards

Lecati

Hi

I have had two Gs's which followed a string of Jag's and BM*'s!

None of them come close - May mate has a 740 which he says is noisy in comparison to the Lexus.

Is it just road noise?

You may find the tyres are causing the road noise and a switch to Bridgestones would help. Some say Dunlops are the best to reduce road noise. I have P Zero's on mine and you can hear a pin drop at three figures! :D

I have never had any rattles although I have seen a few recorded in posts, often qualified by the fact the car is so quiet it allows you to hear it.

Get it back to the dealer to sort out any rattles and try and get a go in one with different rubber -

:lookaround:

I would never say the GS is noisy. Maybe there is a problem with your tyres, low pressure or worn.

The squeaks and rattles though are the norm for the GS unfortunalty. Much better in the MKII over the MKI but still there. Some people don't notice or mind but it drives me up the wall. Every air vent, the centre console, the sunroof, the glovebox, the wood trim on the doors all creak if you push them or when the car goes over a bump. The sunroof has been improved on 2000+ cars but even a new car in the showroom will creak as I demonstrated to my dealer today. I also know of several owners, including myself, who get wind noise around the drivers door.

Drive a £14,000 cheaper car, the IS200, and it feels much more solid.

I have a mk1 and the only noise i hear is the center arm rest every now and then so i oil the catch with wd 40 prob solved .i have had vws volvos etc and this car is by far the quietest i have had .have to agree with dreadfull stereo though mine is pants.Could it be the rubbers on the doors or perhaps doors need adjusting(pulling in tighter onto door sills)had this prob on an A4 so adjusted door catch and this cured problem.

WEll I had a go at the weekend. Solved the sunroof rattle by the addition of some black felt. Solved the rear cup holder rattle by a spot of tape. Can't solve the door window rattle, but did check the seals. One was not in place. Went round the whole car, adjusting/regluing seals as appropriate all over - now it's WAY quieter, biut I just can't find the cause of the wind noise at the top of the windscreen at 40mph+. Will ask the dealer.

As to tyres, I'll have to live with it for a bit, but will try another brand. But got the famous 63k service to do next. Menu price £500...

Anyway, thanks to all for suggestions, and I'm much happier with my GS now.

I have a MK1 which despite having been crashed and stolen has only one rattle which comes from the sunroof sliding cover when I have it open all the way. I just either close it or turn up the radio.

Im running 18" wheels on P zeros and must say have no complaints about tyre noise at all.

Its coming up to its 10th birthday now and its still a much better assembled car than my Jag was when it was only half its age.

Solved wind noise from top of windscreen. The seal was lifting slightly top left is all, and was happening at 40mph+ cos the wind was strong enough I suppose. Dab of sealant, end of problem. Now quiet, hurrah.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links