Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Loss Of Power/vibration

gavnorwich

Hi

I'm new to this but i hope someone can help.

Completely out of the blue yesterday my IS 220d lost power and gained a horrid vibration, it was ok first thing but seemed to happen as soon as the engine reached operating temp, same thing this morning.

I rang my local dealer (Norwich), but they won't do anything as it shuts on thursday, they advised i ring the ipswich dealer 40 miles away!

Any ideas as to what the problem is?

Gav

Hello and welcome to the LOC I am sorry no one else has responded to your post.

First question is, does the engine management light come on? Have you had the codes read? (doesn't have to be Lexus dealer).

Generally a loss of power like you experienced could be down to a dirty/gummed up EGR valve,which may respond to intensive cleaning.

Apparently the 2 Lexus technicians are being reemployed at Dingles Toyota, Norwich so expert help will still be available locally.

Hi, If no lights had come on, most probably is that the EGR valve is blocked. Clean it. Also, buy a diesel injector cleaner. It help alot! My favorite brand is slick 50 or STP.

Also try to rev you engine while on the highway, try to keep the engine about 3000rpm or even more, for about 10-20 min(while cruising). Have a look at the temperature. Keeping the engine revved, the DPF will clean up. A diesel engine suffers a lot from carbon especially when the engine is kept at low rev..

Hope this helps!

Hello and welcome to the LOC I am sorry no one else has responded to your post.

First question is, does the engine management light come on? Have you had the codes read? (doesn't have to be Lexus dealer).

Generally a loss of power like you experienced could be down to a dirty/gummed up EGR valve,which may respond to intensive cleaning.

Apparently the 2 Lexus technicians are being reemployed at Dingles Toyota, Norwich so expert help will still be available locally.

thnaks, the engine management light doesn't come on, and the car has been fine since sunday. Oddly enough the fuel economy appears to have increased slightly too. Where is the egr valve and how do i clean it?

Thanks for the tip off re the technicians and dingles! nice to know there is still local experts!

Hi, If no lights had come on, most probably is that the EGR valve is blocked. Clean it. Also, buy a diesel injector cleaner. It help alot! My favorite brand is slick 50 or STP.

Also try to rev you engine while on the highway, try to keep the engine about 3000rpm or even more, for about 10-20 min(while cruising). Have a look at the temperature. Keeping the engine revved, the DPF will clean up. A diesel engine suffers a lot from carbon especially when the engine is kept at low rev..

Hope this helps!

I'll get some injector cleaners and run it at higher revs like you suggest. thanks for the help.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links