Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thnks, a checklist, brilliant! :D :D :lol:

i'll take it along, he'll think i know what i'm talking about and gimme a great big discount! :)

I'll go have a look at the '92 tommorow so if it's in a good CONDITION it'll hopefully be mine next week!

:hehe::yahoo: :zee:

• 2 years later...

Hi

This checklist is amazing -- totally invaluable. I test drove an LS400 today. I just have one question about the bit on this checklist that says, "do the springs settle after less than 2.5 bounces?"

I am used to my current BMW 328, so the LS400 is naturally going to seem really soft to me -- I expected that. However it also felt "bouncy" and I'm not sure if that's a fault. For example, when stationary and then releasing the brakes momentarily and then reapplying them reasonably firmly, the car would stop and then bounce for a second or two (perhaps 3 noticeable oscillations). The bouncing was only minor I guess, but it's just not what I'm used to with my current car and I don't know if I'm imagining a fault with the LS400 that is actually a characteristic.

I am very happy with the LS400 and don't mind the bouncing. I would be more than happy to buy it. My only concern is that the bouncing is a fault. Can anyone please try to advise me as to whether or not this is a fault?

Also, I tried an emergency stop: definitely took longer and with less grip than in my BMW, that was definitely obvious. Can anyone say whether or not this is also normal? I have tried to search for braking distances but can't find a list of them.

Thanks

Even after new front discs and pads, I found I had to lean on the brakes more in my '94 Ls, than my old Merc.

However they do work! you just adjust your driving, and when you really want them they are there!! :ohmy:

Hi

This checklist is amazing -- totally invaluable.  I test drove an LS400 today.  I just have one question about the bit on this checklist that says, "do the springs settle after less than 2.5 bounces?" 

I am used to my current BMW 328, so the LS400 is naturally going to seem really soft to me -- I expected that.  However it also felt "bouncy" and I'm not sure if that's a fault.  For example, when stationary and then releasing the brakes momentarily and then reapplying them reasonably firmly, the car would stop and then bounce for a second or two (perhaps 3 noticeable oscillations).  The bouncing was only minor I guess, but it's just not what I'm used to with my current car and I don't know if I'm imagining a fault with the LS400 that is actually a characteristic. 

I am very happy with the LS400 and don't mind the bouncing.  I would be more than happy to buy it.  My only concern is that the bouncing is a fault.  Can anyone please try to advise me as to whether or not this is a fault?

Also, I tried an emergency stop: definitely took longer and with less grip than in my BMW, that was definitely obvious.  Can anyone say whether or not this is also normal?  I have tried to search for braking distances but can't find a list of them.

Thanks

The brakes were improved on the post-92 models, and again on the Series 3 (95-8) There's NO Traction control either which can be of concern? Only came in on Ser 4 (98-201) unless you get a USA model (or Japanese import? I'm not sure on the latter). You just have to CRUISE a little! Waft along in the knowledge that you're in the best made car in the world! :driving:

Hi Chris

The one I test drove is a 1999 MK IV with ASC etc. I just have a feeling that the car may be concealing a few potentially expensive faults and I'm questioning whether or not I should buy it. But then I guess I would be the same with any used car I was thinking of buying. I may have it inspected, but they'd be bound to find assorted faults I guess. Hum... what to do...

I hope to become a fully fledged member here shortly when I finally buy an LS!!!!

Hi Chris

The one I test drove is a 1999 MK IV with ASC etc.  I just have a feeling that the car may be concealing a few potentially expensive faults and I'm questioning whether or not I should buy it.  But then I guess I would be the same with any used car I was thinking of buying.  I may have it inspected, but they'd be bound to find assorted faults I guess.  Hum... what to do...

I hope to become a fully fledged member here shortly when I finally buy an LS!!!!

The Citroen2CV had an ad with a list of car features on one side for other cars.

On the side for 2CV it said 'None'/none/ etc (apart from 'Central locking' -can reach all 4 doors from the drivers seat'!!)

The concept was "Nothing to go wrong" !!

I'm considering switching from my Series 3 car to a Ser 4, (or 430....??) but wonder about the ever increasing amount of electronic gadgets that could fail in years to come. The latest 430 has Massaging rear seats, RADAR!!, etc...

It's not easy when looking at a car as you are. (Mind you, as a fellow Scouser (now long gone!) I could offer you my 65000mile Ser 3 LS400 for £7,750! Brand new tyres. New Ball joints/ Suspension arm; Cam belt done.....

cskelton@madasafish.com

good luck

I can only speak of the model i owned a mk1 1991 model,the rear of the car was very very bouncey,like its been said the newer cars are alot tighter compared to the early stuff.As to the brakes the early models brakes will stop when needed but a couple of hard at speed stops and there finished the discs arent very large so they overheat quick and because of this the discs warp very easy..Go for the newer version of the LS with better brakes ;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links