Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Creak/clunk Mystery Solved?

Ok just to pick some brains again, my car has the standard clicky knock issue going over road humps even at parking speeds, & at recent service they couldnt find the fault. I put my hand thru the alloys on the front wheels to grasp the top-centre of the caliper & on both wheels theres some play, like a slight wobble to me & away from me, though not on the rear ones as they seem tight.

Could I have solved it now and is it fixable as i've come to believe its something with brakes more than anything else. :)

Ok just to pick some brains again, my car has the standard clicky knock issue going over road humps even at parking speeds, & at recent service they couldnt find the fault. I put my hand thru the alloys on the front wheels to grasp the top-centre of the caliper & on both wheels theres some play, like a slight wobble to me & away from me, though not on the rear ones as they seem tight.

Could I have solved it now and is it fixable as i've come to believe its something with brakes more than anything else. :)

sorry to pee on your fire but your no further forward!!the front calipers have slides ie thats why theirs play...its ment to be their...

as for the rears they are fixed and dont have slides ie thats why they are solid and have no movement.....

so em back to the drawing board matey

sorry to pee on your fire but your no further forward!!the front calipers have slides ie thats why theirs play...its ment to be their...

as for the rears they are fixed and dont have slides ie thats why they are solid and have no movement.....

so em back to the drawing board matey

haha doesnt suprise me , cheers anyway

Have you replaced any parts yet? Lower ball joints are very common to go & make the noise you described. Very hard to diagnose if you don't know what you're looking for. They're only allowed less than 1mm of play. Swaybar drop links would be the next thing I'd look at then lower rear hub bushes

Untitled-17.jpg

Have you replaced any parts yet? Lower ball joints are very common to go & make the noise you described. Very hard to diagnose if you don't know what you're looking for. They're only allowed less than 1mm of play. Swaybar drop links would be the next thing I'd look at then lower rear hub bushes

Untitled-17.jpg

nice one ,will look into it.

My car's just been returned to me after having similar creaking and clunking investigated so haven't had a chance to see if they've sorted it, but the cause of the creaking was rubbers on the end of the trailing arms (I think) which they haven't replaced as they're expensive and there's no problem other than the low speed creak.

The clunking was put down to a corroded adjuster bolt that was almost all the way out, as I mentioned haven't tested it yet but they have told me it is sorted.

Although the front calipers use sliders and therefore do have play, don't ignore the fact the if the sliders have dried out (not been greased properly when pads changed etc), they can cause a metallic clunking and rattling. One of the pins on each side has a rubber sleave on it, these can perish or be missing, and that can causes the problem to be even more audible.

My car's just been returned to me after having similar creaking and clunking investigated so haven't had a chance to see if they've sorted it, but the cause of the creaking was rubbers on the end of the trailing arms (I think) which they haven't replaced as they're expensive and there's no problem other than the low speed creak.

The clunking was put down to a corroded adjuster bolt that was almost all the way out, as I mentioned haven't tested it yet but they have told me it is sorted.

get some silicon spray and spray it on the antiroll bar rubbers(the d bushes)your noise will go away....

• 2 weeks later...

get some silicon spray and spray it on the antiroll bar rubbers(the d bushes)your noise will go away....

edit..Ive had the clunking for 4 years...not nice

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links