Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paddle Shift - Do They Work?

I've got a 2005 (55) IS 250 auto and when I switch into semi automatic using the paddle shift gears doesn't actually seem to do anything other than change the number on my dash!

Does anyone have this experience or know more?

Is this when going up the box or coming down?

Remember that it's not a full manual mode, if you have 5 on the dash, it doesn't mean you are in 5th gear, it just means the gearbox will use the first 5 gears but not 6th.

Similarly if you have it on 3 it will use the first three gears but no more.

Therefore if you have it on 5 but are driving at low speed, the gearbox may actually still be in a lower gear until it decides 5th gear is appropriate.

However if it's simply a case of the paddles doing nothing at all, you need to get that checked out :)

Remember that it's not a full manual mode, if you have 5 on the dash, it doesn't mean you are in 5th gear, it just means the gearbox will use the first 5 gears but not 6th.

Similarly if you have it on 3 it will use the first three gears but no more.

Therefore if you have it on 5 but are driving at low speed, the gearbox may actually still be in a lower gear until it decides 5th gear is appropriate.

:huh: eh. Are you sure? I cannot recall experiencing that with my SE-L, and it's definitely not the case with my IS-F.

:huh: eh. Are you sure? I cannot recall experiencing that with my SE-L, and it's definitely not the case with my IS-F.

True, it's not like that in the IS-F, but I'm pretty sure that's how it's been in every courtesy IS250 I've had (which is quite a few now!) :unsure:

I used to stick it in manual and 6th and then drive it like a normal auto, it changes around as normal but allows you to use the paddles when you need them (obviously that wasn't required after they made the paddles work in D in the later cars)

Just to add, if you have the gearbox selector displayed, and you try to select say 6th at 40 mph it will show a "." or period in the display despite showing that you have selected 6th gear. Note that the 5 will be displayed to the left of the "." or period to show you are still in 5th gear despite trying to select 6th. Up the speed to say 45-50mph and 6th gear will indeed now be selected and displayed in both fields.

I suggest you use the gearbox selector display too to confirm what gear you "actually" are using.

Thanks

I used to stick it in manual and 6th and then drive it like a normal auto, it changes around as normal but allows you to use the paddles when you need them (obviously that wasn't required after they made the paddles work in D in the later cars)

Ok, that makes more sense - it was both up and down but I wasn't aware that if you selected 4th say and were driving as normal at lower speeds it was only limiting the automatic choosing to go up to 4th and no higher.

When you say "use the paddles as normal", when would it allow you to do that if you are only able to set a limitation on the gears that the gearbox can choose from?

Does anyone know which year they paddles became fully operational then on the automatics?

Least I have a better understanding now of the paddles functionality!

thanks

When you say "use the paddles as normal", when would it allow you to do that if you are only able to set a limitation on the gears that the gearbox can choose from?

Sorry if it was misleading but what I meant was that if you stick it in manual and 6th it still behaves as normal, but you can use the paddles if you need to downshift (without having to first flick the gear lever over)

This isn't required with the later car (from 09 or so onwards) as you can use the paddles in D.

As far as I know the IS250 even now doesn't have a "proper" manual override for the auto box.

Sorry if it was misleading but what I meant was that if you stick it in manual and 6th it still behaves as normal, but you can use the paddles if you need to downshift (without having to first flick the gear lever over)

This isn't required with the later car (from 09 or so onwards) as you can use the paddles in D.

As far as I know the IS250 even now doesn't have a "proper" manual override for the auto box.

Although I had the IS250 SE-L for over five years I rarely used the flappy paddles or the stick to change up or down. Why bother with such a superb auto box? However, I do use the paddles a lot with the IS-F, mainly to slow it down rather than using the brakes. Unlike the 250 it stays in whatever gear is selected, just lets you know by the irrating beep if you try to exceed the revs in acceleration or changing down.

Having read all these replies they are all rather confusing! The OP was asking if the flappy paddles can be used as a true manual selector (I think!) with an immediate gear change (like the F1 Mclaren!) I agree they dont do this if you are out of the 'gear ratio / Rev range'. However if you are in the correct gear ratio / rev range then you can use the paddles to upshift with the same feeling as a true manual. I dont think it is correct to say that the number displayed in the gear selector display when in 'S' mode does not represent that gear because it does in my view. If you shift down to 1 and accelerate within the rev range and pull the + paddle then you will switch to 2 and second gear and so on. Over accelerate the vehicle out of the normal gear ratio / rev range the auto mode will be just that 'automatic' and change gearing when it thinks it should do. Admittedly I dont use the paddles that often but they are great on country roads when you can decelerate into the bends and accelerate out again using the flappy paddles - still quite an exciting driving experience anyway.

Although I had the IS250 SE-L for over five years I rarely used the flappy paddles or the stick to change up or down. Why bother with such a superb auto box? However, I do use the paddles a lot with the IS-F, mainly to slow it down rather than using the brakes. Unlike the 250 it stays in whatever gear is selected, just lets you know by the irrating beep if you try to exceed the revs in acceleration or changing down.

Probably just me but when cruising I prefer to drop gears manually - don't do it all the time, just in examples like changing lanes on the motorway etc. Like I said it would always be in 6 to work as an auto 99% of the time, but it's a pain to move the lever over on occasion you want to do it manually.

Have just got used to doing it in the Merc, but that is like the newer ISs in that you don't have to select a manual mode first.

Having read all these replies they are all rather confusing! The OP was asking if the flappy paddles can be used as a true manual selector (I think!) with an immediate gear change (like the F1 Mclaren!)

That's not what the OP was asking at all - my understanding was that the OP was asking why the paddles didn't always do anything, I provided an explanation that the gearbox won't always be in the gear that's displayed on the dash (which is true) so don't think it was that confusing :)

Unless it's a tight bend and the steering wheel is still upside down! ;)

Too true with you 100% there!! Could always use the shift lever and negotiate those tight bends with one hand on the wheel!! Still pretty damn exciting....!!

put the car in 'ECT-power' mode and you will hardly ever need to use the paddles. Touch the brakes as the car approaches a corner or roundabout and it changes down (often to third) in a flash. I don't find it uses more fuel in normal driving. But I sometimes use the paddles to lock the car in first or second on a very steep (1 in 4) descent; and pushing the lever into sport can be useful for overtaking because it gives an instant kick down to 4th - I think it is quicker than just flooring the pedal to get kick down.

with a poorer auto box, a paddle shift can be very useful - I use it on my wife's smart car all the time

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Tango, its a feature I only tend to use when adjusting my speed downwards using engine braking.

As mentioned in this thread, it is not a full auto function, it mealy reduces the amount of gears available in the box.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links