Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New (To Me) Rx400H A Few Questions

Hi, just purchased my first Lexus, a 2005 RX400h SEL. I bought it primarily for the winter but will probably end up using it more often and keep my main car (SL) for sunny days only. Initial impressions are very good especially on economy although anything would be better than the SL for fuel consumption. I paid £8.5K for it which almost seemed too good but all the checks were okay. I have a few questions which I thought I would post and hopefully get some feedback on:

1) Noticed the small driver side controls for exterior mirror adjustment, folding mirrors and petrol cover opener have no backlight at night. Interested if is this normal or more likely a blown bulb which I can get sorted next service. The switch for the power rear door is backlit as well as window controls etc.

2) Sunroof - it has open & close controls and tilt controls. I have found these difficult to operate as when the switch is engaged to close if you keep holding it then reopens. Just finding it difficult to time it right to full close. Both switches operate the sunroof either opening or tiling it is just I expect when closing it would fully close then stop, not start to reopen.

3) Speedometer reading v GPS reading. At higher motorway speeds the car reads about 4-5 mph more than actual GPS speed. At lower speeds it is around 2 - 3 mph out. I know most cars read high just though that 4mph difference seemed high.

4) Ipod integration. Been reading up on this as plan to fit a kit. Dice or Vaistech seem to be the preferred. Question is do both these kits allow you control using the touch screen nav unit. The Dice seems to offer browsing by artist, then album within artist which I like but I can't see if it uses the touchscreen or just the radio 1 line display.

5) Driving in snow or ice. I'm aware the RWD is electric only so interested in observations on how the RX copes in snow and ice. My tyres are not winter ones and I am considering buying 4 snow socks. Wondering whether these would be needed or does it manage snow and hills okay.

6) Economy - any particular driving style to maximise economy on hybrids.

Many thanks for any replies

(1)

Bulb failure I presume: Without checking can't be certain though stting here I think that it is illuminated.

(2)

You'll get used to it.

(3)

Just the car - all cars are different and yours is thus.

(4)

I don't know but I cannot recall anyone reporting that they have gained in motion control of the Satnav this way. In any event the restriction is auseful safety feature to avoid drivers being distracted. Yes, I know people moan about this but I have never found it an issue.

(5)

Very well. my has been fine in Cumbria on standard tyres so just get on and use it.

(6)

Just normal driving. If you have a leaden foot you will use more petrol if otherwise you will be blessed with using less. The car manages use of Battery and engine well.

1) Noticed the small driver side controls for exterior mirror adjustment, folding mirrors and petrol cover opener have no backlight at night. Interested if is this normal or more likely a blown bulb which I can get sorted next service. The switch for the power rear door is backlit as well as window controls etc.

Congrats on the new car!

I find this a pain too but unfortunately it's NOT back-lit! I'm thinking of modding the housing though and putting a couple of LED's behind this area so that at least the button surround lights up.

Congrats on the new car!

I find this a pain too but unfortunately it's NOT back-lit! I'm thinking of modding the housing though and putting a couple of LED's behind this area so that at least the button surround lights up.

Many thanks this has saved me the pain of rummaging behind the dash for a blown bulb. If you ever do your mod appreciate an update on how you got on.

2) Sunroof - it has open & close controls and tilt controls. I have found these difficult to operate as when the switch is engaged to close if you keep holding it then reopens. Just finding it difficult to time it right to full close. Both switches operate the sunroof either opening or tiling it is just I expect when closing it would fully close then stop, not start to reopen.

I might be misreading this, but you don't (or at least in my 2001 RX) have to hold the button in for the duration of the closing action. Once it starts moving I can release the button and it'll open/close and stop when it reaches whichever direction I'm sending it. If my sunroof is tilted up and I want it open fully, I have to hold the button in to get it to close then carry on holding it to get it to start opening back, but I don't have to hold it all the time.

3) Speedometer reading v GPS reading. At higher motorway speeds the car reads about 4-5 mph more than actual GPS speed. At lower speeds it is around 2 - 3 mph out. I know most cars read high just though that 4mph difference seemed high.

Can't remember exactly off the top of my head what mine reads at, but I don't think 4-5mph at, perhaps slightly above, motorway speeds is out of the ordinary. Just in case, it might be worth checking the tyre sizes you're running in case they're different from standard fit, but I still don't think it's overly high.

5) Driving in snow or ice. I'm aware the RWD is electric only so interested in observations on how the RX copes in snow and ice. My tyres are not winter ones and I am considering buying 4 snow socks. Wondering whether these would be needed or does it manage snow and hills okay.

Stating the obvious, but smooth and steady with plenty of forward planning which is also the best technique so you can hopefully avoid getting stuck in adverse winter conditions. How did you get on with the SL around your regular roads when the winters were bad? If you managed most of the time, I'd be inclined to say you'll manage all of the time in the RX. As long as you don't make the error that some do and assume that 4x4 = invincible you'll do fine. I was going to say unstoppable, but then realised the irony that driving like a loon in the winter really does make you unstoppable :lol:

I might be misreading this, but you don't (or at least in my 2001 RX) have to hold the button in for the duration of the closing action. Once it starts moving I can release the button and it'll open/close and stop when it reaches whichever direction I'm sending it. If my sunroof is tilted up and I want it open fully, I have to hold the button in to get it to close then carry on holding it to get it to start opening back, but I don't have to hold it all the time.

Can't remember exactly off the top of my head what mine reads at, but I don't think 4-5mph at, perhaps slightly above, motorway speeds is out of the ordinary. Just in case, it might be worth checking the tyre sizes you're running in case they're different from standard fit, but I still don't think it's overly high.

Stating the obvious, but smooth and steady with plenty of forward planning which is also the best technique so you can hopefully avoid getting stuck in adverse winter conditions. How did you get on with the SL around your regular roads when the winters were bad? If you managed most of the time, I'd be inclined to say you'll manage all of the time in the RX. As long as you don't make the error that some do and assume that 4x4 = invincible you'll do fine. I was going to say unstoppable, but then realised the irony that driving like a loon in the winter really does make you unstoppable :lol:

The SL in last years snow didn't make it from the garage to the gate :lol: Even in anything but dry roads traction can sometimes be an issue. Where we live can pick up some snow, neighbours have just bought winter tyres and if I wasn't such a tight arse I would probably do the same. Stopping would be my main concern as my route to work has a long steep drop on the way over high ground. However the wife in a TT quattro managed just fine.

Read this post on a US forum today http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58930&st=0&p=379201&hl=learning&fromsearch=1entry379201

I tried it and it does seem to push more driving onto the Battery at lower speeds with light throttle. Probably this is well known within the forum. After trying it today and then doing some town driving I noticed my Battery charge level reducing considerably for the first time since getting the RX. I was able to drive through town on Battery only for much longer than before. Interesting!

Discovered the fix for this it just needed to be reset making it 1 touch open & close as it was designed to be.

If you disconnect the Battery (or run it down like I did), the sunroof will have to be normalized. You can tell if it needs to be normalized if the sunroof doesn't close properly when you use the tilt switch. If you have to kind of guess where closed should be you need to normalize it.

To normalize, push and hold the 'slide' switch toward the front. The sunroof will tilt (even though you are using the 'slide' switch) up and down then slide open and close. After it closes, release the switch. The sunroof will now work normally (i.e. it will know where it's supposed to close when you use the switches).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links