Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Mk1 Gs300 Cd Changer Or After Market Stereo

I have a Mk1 GS300 which has had the multi-changer removed (I can't even see where it was fitted) and after a month or so of ownership I am fed up with the poor quality of a tape adapter, the radio and of my old fm transmitter.

I am not very knowledgeable in such things and I was wondering if it would be easier to try and buy a used multi-changer from flea bay or to go down the route of fitting an after market stereo. If I used an after market stereo how would I connect up to the speakers aren't they run through an amp somewhere in the boot and how good/easy to fit are the dashboard adapters?

Cheers, Andy.

I fitted an aftermarket stereo in my mk1 and mk2 GS300's. Much better than the standard setup for sound.

The changer is in the boot, on the right hand side, if it had been removed, it would stick out like a turd on a bowling green, as the boot floor liner is moulded around it. The amp is located underneath the changer. If you are not bothered about returning it back to standard later, then just cut the wiring at either end (headunit and amp - to effectively bypass the amp). By bypassing the amp, you don't need to run new speaker cables in. Obviously with the amp bypassed, the sub in the rear shelf doesn't work. I fitted a Vibe active sub in the boot and removed the factory sub.

If you need any specifics, let me know.

p.s. None of the fascia adaptors I could find advertised for the mk1 would actually fit (they were all for left hand drive cars and the opening isn't symmetrical). I bought the one from Toyota for the Aristo. There are details (part numbers) for the fascia in the link in my signature "Mk1 Single Din install", hope it helps.

Is there any benefit in patching a new stereo into the OE amp? Do any of the conversion leads available work for the Mk1 Tigerfish?

Glad you posted on this as I am planning on this mod myself in the next few days.

Not sure what leads are available nowadays. When I did mine, there weren't any. I think there are a couple of options now, but I don't think any patch an aftermarket unit into the amp, I think they are all designed to bypass the amp.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links