Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I will be retiring this year and I have £35k to spend on a car. That ammount of money will buy a 2010 GS 450h with very low milage or a 2007\8 600h with over 3500 on the clock.

At the moment I'm more inclined towards the LS as I don't think the GS is £35k better than my 03 Toyota Camry (which I like a lot). Of course £35k brings other marques into play, but the Lexus hybrid system appeals, not for enviromental reasons, just the technology.

Apart from European trips 2 or 3 times a year the car will be low milage and I hope it outlasts me. So, which would you have?

First time post, long time lurker.

Biased I maybe but after test driving both I would opt for the LS600, silky smooth power delivery via a CVT transmission, air suspension for a hovercraft ride quality and if it is the top model all the toys with leather arm chair comfort.

I don't think the GS is £35k better than my 03 Toyota Camry

Oh, I think you'd notice huge difference in performance, build quality, refinement, and equipment.

I think that the build quality has slipped on Lexus. The build of my old '96 GS 300 Sport was better than many of the Lexus loan cars and demo's which I have driven over the last 10 yrs. Just my opinion.

I'd tend to agree with NeilP1960 - get a LS460 SEL. You'd save about £10k on a like for like basis. Admittedly, you'd lose a slighty better mpg, and the short-term fun of playing with hybrid, but the 460 would probably suit you better as a retirement car - plus, imagine where you could go and what you could do in the car with that 10k!

If you had a 600, you'd probably have to have a 30 cm longer 600L- there aren't many short wheel based ones around. This gives you a car for those who like to be chauffeured around in. Sadly, though, as well as being harder to park, it also has only two seats in the back instead of three. There is then the boot size issue, the issue with what happens (and how expensive it is - another 5k, perhaps?) when the batteries fail, what happens when the car catches fire (they let it burn), the lack of LKA on any but a handful of cars, (a subtle but majorly effective toy in reducing driving fatigue).

On the plus side, the 600 is an all wheel drive car. However, it is also significantly slower to 62mph than the 460, and being 200kg heavier, is presumably a bit more difficult to stop.

I hope that I don't sound too biased? <wg>

I`ve had my LS600h since sept after a number of bmw 7 series and am now a lexus convert. Power delivery is as smooth as silk and more than enough. (Just found the power button and will leave most at the lights). Spend 80 miles a day on the motorway and it`s soooooo comfortable and the stereo is better than anything i`ve ever heard. Yep it must be the ls600.

I'm going to a Lexus dealership on Saturday to show the wife a GS and LS and sit in them to find which she finds most comfortable. (I know it will be the LS) I'll resist test driving as I don't want to buy until June. I have my eye on 5 LS 600s, all 2007/8 with mid 30,000 on the clock.

Scythe, I see there are not many short wheel base ones around, but the extra length of the L does'nt bother me, (I'm an HGV driver).

I recently part exed my GS450h for a LS600hL and dont regret it at all.

It is true that there are hardly any short wheelbase cars around, however having previously owned a Porsche 928 I'm having no problems with the width of the car.

Its much quieter and smoother than the GS and you ride higher, which I like. Ride quality is much better. Its also easier to get into and out of.

The LS is much larger inside, both for the driver and of course passengers. Guests love riding in the back.

As for fuel economy, in London I'm averaging about 24mpg when I got about 29mpg in the GS. On the motorway its even closer - about 32 in the LS and 35 in the GS. The longer the trip and warmer the weather the better the fuel economy you get. The engine must first warm up before it will start cutting out and in the current cold weather it may never do so on a short trip.

If you're a boy racer you will certainly notice the extra weight (although the GSh is a heavy car too), but the LSh can really pick up her skirts and dash for it when required.

You dont have to get a 4 seat model, I deliberatly got a 5 seat car without the rear relaxation package. Some dealers think the 5 seat model is easier to sell and will be worth more as the cars get older. I preferred it as its more flexible and I'll never sit in the back.

The biggest difference running cost wise is insurance, the LSh is a insurance group 50 car.

My monthly maintenance bill went down because I bought a car with 60K miles on it. The 60K service is very expensive as all spark plugs must be changed. This is the same on the GSh and the LSh so watch out for it.

I briefly looked at a 460 but I just couldnt live with the sub 20mpg fuel consumption and sky high road tax. Plus I love the hybrid experience in the city.

Toys I love - radar cruise control (although my GS had this as well), heated steering wheel and the Hold function (so when you come to a stop in drive it automatically puts the handbrake on. Just touch the throttle and it releases again. Great for traffic lights.)

Final advice - be realistic on price. I looked around alot for mine and built a table of the values. Some are priced well and others not. I was tough on price and got the deal I wanted on the car I wanted in the end.

Well, I test drove the GS and LS yesterday. As expected the LS wins hands down. The LS I tested had 60k on the clock. lovely to drive, surprisingly nimble on twisty roads. When cruising it was a bit like my Camry! (a bit) the only problem was wind noise from the passenger side window. I could'nt hear it from my side but my wife said it would be unbearable on a long run. I have read of complaints of wind noise on the American forum and hoped only those cars were affected.

The car was an 07 and the doors were not self closing, I thought they all were. Maybe that was the problem? Anyway its something I will pay particular attention when I do find the right car.

Thanks for that good advice wooski. By the way, if anyone is looking for a GS 450h the one I tested was just comming off demonstrator duties. 6k miles on the clock £6k off list price. Lexus Cheltenham.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links