Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

On ebay at the moment. 1998 LS400 import with 50,000 kilometres on the clock for £995 !!. Appropriate number plate as well. What do you reckon - too good to be true?. Search 'pearlescent white ls400'.
On ebay at the moment. 1998 LS400 import with 50,000 kilometres on the clock for £995 !!. Appropriate number plate as well. What do you reckon - too good to be true?. Search 'pearlescent white ls400'.

Its very difficult to tell from the awful pictures but on those alone it dosent present itself well as a car having only done 30,000 miles.

Dosent appear to have comprehensive service history you would expect with such a low mliegae car.

As for the way he advertises his cars I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole.

He comes across as an arrogant, beligerent **** . He comes across like that before you have bought the car can you imagine what he would be like should you have any problems with the car afterwards?

I wouldnt go near it.

Give it and him a very wide berth.

Mike

I bought mine with 61,000 Km on the clock converted to 38,000 miles before purchase but bought without service history.

Despite much effort including writing to the former owner in Japan ( a business) I never got anywhere but it must have been looked after as apart from the usual blacked out LCD it's been fine, not even the blinky dash has reared its ugly head.

I see your point on the seller's attitude but there again how many idiots can you take when selling a car?

Looking at the strut towers it looks like air suspension, very nice until it goes wrong and the sat nav will probably be Japanese.

If you think the car looks bad you should have seen the 2000 model Celsior I went to look at when mine was damaged it was a complete nail and so was the dealer, that's why after looking for a replacement in the same condition and not coming close I decided to have mine repaired.

Did find a mint 1997 LPG converted model the guy was genuine and we must have done a 20 mile test drive but I think it went for 2500 on fleabay.

The other thing is what does the V5C say Lexus LS400 or Toyota Celsior as it makes insurance more difficult.

Finally what are the wheels on it?

A DVLA check does not match a result to the VRM with either Lexus or Toyota as a manufacturer.

An HPI car check gives the following results - https://www.mycarche...46928/FRPYVMGJ/

Make & Model Lexus Ls 400

VIN Check You have not performed a VIN check yet.

Engine Size 4000cc

Engine Number NOT KNOWN

First Registered 4 Dec 1998

Year Manufactured 1997

Former Keepers 0 (Current keeper has held the vehicle from first registration)

Body Saloon

Colour White

Fuel Gas

Colour changes We have no record of this registration being subject to a colour change.

Plate Transfer This registration has been involved in a plate change, the transfer history is displayed below.

Registration On Off R170EJA 22 Jun 2002 C12OWN 22 Jun 2002 17 Jul 2002 R170EJA 17 Jul 2002 10 Dec 2007 R400ABU 10 Dec 2007

Scrapped We have no record of this registration being scrapped.

Exported We have no record of this registration being exported.

Stolen We have no record of this registration being stolen.

Destroyed We have no record of this registration being destroyed.

Insurance Write-off This vehicle may be recorded as a write off, however, as it has undergone a plate transfer further investigation is required, please call 0844 482 1948.

Vehicle I.D. Check We have no record of this registration being subject to a Vehicle Identity Check.

The 'Insurance Write-Off' part worries me, I'll give them a call later to see if they can clarify.

It would appear to be an LPG-equipped car, as the eBay auction lists fuel as 'Other', and the HPI check states Fuel as 'Gas'.

I've sent the seller a courteous e-mail with a couple of questions, as below. Will advise on the reply.

"Dear this_is_common_sense,

Good morning, I wonder if you could clarify a couple of points for me.

1. Is the car fitted with an LPG system, as the eBay listing says Fuel: Other, and the HPI check states fuel type as 'Gas'.

2. Is the car fitted with adjustable air suspension? Looking at the engine bay picture, the strut tops looks like the air-equipped version, plus it would appear from the interior shot that the height adjustment button is present in the centre console underneath the radio, alongside the heated seat button. It's a little unclear to make out.

3. Does the V5C state Lexus LS400 or Toyota Celsior, this being an import car, as this can affect the ease and price of insuring, as many companies don't insure import models. The HPI check states Lexus LS400, but a DVLA check under the registration number does not give a result when using either Lexus or Toyota as a manufacturer.

Many thanks and kind regards, Dan Haines"

The reply to my questions...

It does state Lexus LS400, Gas means petrol, It does have the height adjustable suspension. The plate is a private plate that goes with the car. Any more questions please call me then at least I know you are halfway to being a serious buyer.

Regards

Lee.

I'd steer clear, if I HPI my own Lexus is states fuel as Petrol, not Gas, so something definitely fishy going on there.

As said before, his attitude stinks though, I gave him the benefit of the doubt in the ad, but that's no way to respond to a courteous enquiry.

Thank you 'LowriderUK'. Good detective work. Think I'll give a trip to Somerset a miss!!. Sellers attitude stinks and too many unanswered questions. Cheers.

If you had of bought it and paid him in tenners he would probobly have moaned and said he only accepts twenties.

I dont suppose he will ever make business man of the year.

You have made the correct call by not going there.

Happy hunting will keep my eyes open for you.

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links