Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oops That Will Be Expensive ,,,, Or Will It

Came back to my car 2 weeks ago after a sunday league football match. Noticed 2 inch long vertical cracks on the nearside of my front screen and a muddy football print right by them. Dam, never mind they not really noticable as long as they dont get any worse, and as an mot tester i certain they wont fail the next test (wink wink).

Anyway cold days recently, heaters on full to demist the screen, 200 yards down the road and CRACK right across the bottom of the screen. Now i might not have noticed the 2 lillte cracks for the mot test, but i just cant have my car looking like this with a full crack. Expecting the worst i started to ring round a few screen fitters. £350 + vat was the first quote. My next thought was "well they all be much the same price sod it get it done" dont kow why i rang another couple of places but glad i did quoted £185 +vat next. Finally had it done after a third call £125 all in including mew surrounding trim. well happy i hate cleaning glass and certainly the bottom of the screens so one less to do for a while lol

Hi there out of curiousity what brand of screen did you have fitted?as there have been a few issue with those that had the pilkington ones fitted(water leaking etc) and tread on here recommend going for the oem ones

Hi there out of curiousity what brand of screen did you have fitted?as there have been a few issue with those that had the pilkington ones fitted(water leaking etc) and tread on here recommend going for the oem ones

Worked at a national windscreen company for a while and there was a lot off issues with brands like XYG a chinese brands ill fitting etc etc. Pilks are the best in the business of at least up there never had any complaints. but XYG were that bad we clear warehouses off all stock.

I'm actually in need of a windscreen replacement soon too, my crack just happened out of nowhere because of the heaters on an icy day. But I've been putting it off until just before the MOT in a couple of months so the weather is better just in case it does leak. Are you not fully comp? Because Admiral will supply and fit a new windscreen for £90 on my policy. Although I imagine that would be a Pilkington one, however I am going to insist they fit an OEM Lexus window, after all I have insured a Lexus, so I expect them to fix it with Lexus parts.

At a slight tangent but still relevent I have noticed that the excess for windscreens on insurance policies seem to be creeping up over the last few years.

It was for many years always £50.00 for replacements and free for repairs but last year mine was £60.00 and this year it is now £90.00.

When I asked my insurer why this was I was told that more people are claiming but whether this is down to poor quality windscreens being originally fitted I don't know or could it be the fact that some windscreens like the Renault Scenic with the panaramic windscreen cost a fortune to replace.

What ever the case loks like I am subsidising them if I make a claim.

Also if you can have a new screen fitted for £125.00 is it really worth going through your insurance to save just £35.00 and then maybe have to wait longer to get the job done by their own recommended suppliers.

Seems a case of "put the excess up, that will put them off claiming"

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links