Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Coolant Leak Mystery

Davidah

Hi all

I am a new member so apologies for going straight in with a request for help/guidance.

I have had a 2003 IS200 SE Auto now for only 6 weeks and it has a good lot of service history, but, I think I have a problem........

My car is losing coolant but there is no evidence of a leak anywhere. It doesn't overheat but the radiator cooling fan does come on rather more than I think it should.

I went to a local mechanic today who immediately dismissed any likelihood of an engine fault because it is a Lexus! (Well he said he'd be amazed if there was an engine fault)

Could anyone advise me on what it is likely to be?

The car has done 87000 miles and has full and comprehensive service history.

Any help and avice greatly appreciated.

Hi and thanks for the reply - well it was putting out steam when the weather was icy cold, but now there is only steam when starting from cold, once the water from the tailpipe has gone, even at max revs, there isn't any steam - equally, the oil is clear.......i'm a bit stumped!

Hi mate.

1st i'd check all the unions and jubilee clips are nice and tight,especially the heater hoses as they get overlooked.

Also check the hoses going to the throttle body,if coolant is leaking anywhere it will leave a pink residue when it's cooled down so look for that too plus always remember to top up the coolant from the expansion tank and not the radiator.

Well.......it's been in the local Garage today and the verdict is that the Radiator has a small leak!!

Not sure how there has been no water on the floor but i'll take it! £170 and it will be all sorted:-)

Thanks for all your input though!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links