Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I picked up our new (to us) RX on Friday, after much fanfare by the Lexus team about how well prepped it was etc etc.  Arrived home to find no user manual for media/nav/radio.  Took a good look around the car finding numerous scratches not picked up and attended to on close inspection.  The latter's in hand but I was told when requesting a manual, that they didn't come with one, it's an online link.  Generally disappointed by the lack of care taken over the vehicle prep as there were a few other issues too, so will be feeding this all back in due course.

I don't believe they didn't come with a hard copy media/nav manual.  All my lexus cars have always come with the multimedia manual along with the owner's handbook.  Can anyone confirm please whether their 2019-2022RX came with a media user manual?  never used apple Play and need to know how to set it up as I have only the Lexus option showing on the media screen presently, plus would like to know the nav capability, both those things being described in the media manual.

No hard copy manuals in my 2020 RX, just a very brief 'Quick Start' booklet. Even my 2016 RC had no hard copy handbooks.

All handbooks are available to view/download on the Lexus website.

• Like 1

For the Gen 4 RX it's nearly 800 pages and then another 400 for the infotainment system.

You may find some of the Youtube videos a better option.

• Like 1

My 2019 RX only came with the Quick Start manual, but I was able to order the full manuals free of charge from cr@lexus.co.uk, if your preference is to refer to a printed manual.

Thanks Mike.  yes, much prefer hard copy manuals to thumb through.  I detest having to sit behind a computer scrolling through endless pages.  A manual to me is more useful so will see if I can order one.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

Thanks Mike.  yes, much prefer hard copy manuals to thumb through.  I detest having to sit behind a computer scrolling through endless pages.  A manual to me is more useful so will see if I can order one.

Completely agree. A proper manual is a thing of beauty… even if as a man I refuse to read it.
OHs Honda has an online manual accessible on the cars screen, or at least it did until Honda reset the software…

Bearing in mind the money these cars cost a manual should be part of the ownership experience.

• Like 3

Indeed.  I expected that spending what I did, the car would come to me perfectly attended to and everything present and correct.  The penny pinching is uncalled for.

My 2020 Takumi bought from a Gloucestershire main dealer came with a hand book. 

It has been a useful tome on many occasions !

• Like 3

Yes, as I have said before on this forum,  as someone who has enjoyed a lifetime career in the printing industry hard copy manuals should come as standard! 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

I detest having to sit behind a computer scrolling through endless pages. 

I personally find online manuals easier to use. If you are looking for a particular search just press the 'ctrl' and 'f' keys together and you can find anything instantly. Plus, anyone on this forum is happy to sit behind a computer / electronic device and browse through X amount of pages / articles, why not a car manual? 

It also means I don't have a 700 page manual taking up space at home. 

Although some may view Lexus as saving money by not supplying a hard copy of the manuals, maybe they are trying to reduce their carbon footprint? The vast majority of consumable items that we buy nowadays usually have online manuals rather than hard copies. 

Not that I'm trying to discourage anyone from requesting paper manuals if that's your thing. 

If I'm out and about and want to work out something on the nav that I don't know how to use, a manual in the glovebox is the only solution I'm interested in.  Can't rely on mobile signal.  That's the point.  There's no excuse for not providing a user manual, except it's cheaper for them.

• Like 1

As mentioned I don't believe it's all about making things 'cheaper' for Lexus, or indeed the vast majority of global car manufacturers. Having the manuals online means it can be edited without having to print new manuals every time there is a change. 

It's also more to do with policies relating to sustainability and being more environmentally friendly. After all, Lexus (and Toyota) are producing high quality hybrid and electric vehicles that are very fuel efficient. Does it not make sense to reduce deforestation by not including very large paper copies of their manuals? 

Think about your car service record too. This can be accessed easily online and again saves wasting paper. It's the same with the M.O.T history, all documented online. 

You can also download the manuals on your electronic device so that you don't need to rely on a signal. 

• Like 1

Sustainability is not the reality.  If we were being truly sustainable, none of us would be running about in big thirsty SUVs in the first place!  Cost cutting is all about value engineering solutions for profit, and as someone involved in manufacture, I see this as a value engineering (cost cutting) exercise which ticks some arbitrary "sustainability" tick boxes because policy says...

The same is true for modern touch screens integrated into the HMI design which is pure and simple value engineering as they're way cheaper to standardise across a range of models.  I loathe touch screens in cars, but some only offer them now with few buttons anywhere else.   It makes more sense to not produce EV's at all with current tech and infrastructure if companies were truly long term providing lower carbon footprint solutions. It's all getting a bit too deep and meaningless though.  Point is, you pay a lot for a motor like this and a basic expectation is that the damned thing comes with a real life, non virtual, pick it up and thumb through it handbook.  

19 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

a basic expectation is that the damned thing comes with a real life, non virtual, pick it up and thumb through it handbook. 

Maybe this is your expectation but please take into account that many people don't want the paper version and instead, prefer to use an online / downloadable solution. Another part of the reason manufacturers don't provide paper manuals anymore is because people don't wan't to clutter their home / car. After all, I personally feel there are better things to store in the glove box than a 700 page manual. 

In any case, enjoy your new car and I hope you master the functions on your sat nav. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links