Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Our '11 IS250 SEL was in for its 30000 mile service today at Bristol Lexus and I was given a ’12 IS200d Advance with Full Map as a loan car for the day. I used the car for my weekly Bristol - Taunton commute which is roughly a 110 round trip, 90% of those miles being on the motorway at speeds of 70-80mph. I know that this car has been reviewed on here a few times before, but I thought that I would give my opinion.

Firstly, I was surprised by the overall driving experience due to the general feedback this car (ok mostly the IS220D) has had on here. I thought that although the gear shifts were not as smooth as a Honda, they were no worse than many new Audi’s BMW’s and VW’s that I have driven in the past. However in keeping with the general trend, I found 6th gear to be completely useless apart from maintaining speed at 80mph and below.

The engine sounded like a bag of nails to start with, and although improved once it warmed up, it was still audible, but then it is a diesel. I found making swift progress to be very easy throughout the rev range and the overall experience not a chore. I also liked the diesel torque associated with a diesel car in 5th gear, although this was lost in 6th.The car was also free from rattles apart from the manual in the glovebox.

I found the MPG to be fair at 41.4 mpg. I am normally able to achieve around 36 mpg with my IS250 on this exact trip at similar pace. However, I’m not used to driving a diesel, so I’m sure this would improve if I had to live with this car on a day to day basis, and once the engine had worn in more (it only had 1200 miles on the clock)

Overall I didn’t think the diesel was as bad as I was expecting it to be. Would I buy one, probably not as the IS250 is a far superior car, as already mentioned on here. I also missed the cooled seats, Auto folding mirrors, rear blind and auto tilting mirrors in reverse on the Advance models, but obviously that is nothing to do with the diesel!

On another note, I would just like to add that the service I received from Nigel, Simon and the receptionist at the Lexus Bristol Service department was once again second to none.

Fair review that one F.A. Having not long made the move from diesel to petrol I'd agree with all you say. The 250 is a totally different car. The diesel came into its own on a motorway, much smoother and much better than town performance with the weird gearing but it is really irritating to have a top gear that's virtually unusable. There isn't that much difference in fuel cost either.

Must admit I do miss that nice feeling you get in a manual when you drop a cog or two and give it a bit of wellie to get by a slow mover but overall I am more than pleased with the swap even if it meant losing one or two goodies.

On another note, I would just like to add that the service I received from Nigel, Simon and the receptionist at the Lexus Bristol Service department was once again second to none.

Is Tim Fox no longer Service Manager at Lexus Bristol??

Is Tim Fox no longer Service Manager at Lexus Bristol??

Yes, i'm pretty sure Tim is still the manager but I have only seen him once in the three years that we have been using Bristol Lexus. I normally see Simon and Vicky, and more recently Nigel.

From driving the IS200d tonight, I also noticed how much I also missed my Xenons too. Its a shame these are only available on the F Sport and SE-L models.

Desmond, I know what you mean about dropping a cog or two, but I also enjoy the kick down on the motorway with the Auto :shifty:. I'm glad that you are enjoying the IS250

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links