Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which Is-F Should I Get?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a isf in next 2months time, 2008 model in very good price, but I'm thinking the latest model like 2011 a lot things upgraded. Is it worth to pay more money to get the 2011 model?

Thank you.

It isn't an easy choice. Have a look at the threads "ISF with Upgrade" & "2012 ISF Release Date".

In the end it depends on exactly how much in money-terms you value the improvements - most of which I think are niceties; but others think important. For example, many rate the improved ride-comfort/track-handling in more recent models - but I find my MY2008 car OK anyway. The same applies to mechanical LSD, improved dash/control layout, better SatNav etc. None are enough to even slightly tempt me to upgrade to the latest version - but that is just my view very much conditioned by the huge cost of doing so.

So it is up to you. Most of the improvements would be quite nice to have; but so is a bargain-price for an earlier model where the really massive hit for depreciation has already been taken. All versions of the ISF are very, very good & you will enjoy whichever you get - and even find less thirsty than you expect!

Hi Fjcfarrar,

Thank you for the reply, in that case don't you think worth to pay extra £15k to have MY2011. I found MY2008 around £25k only and under 30k miles on clock.

Hi Fjcfarrar,

Thank you for the reply, in that case don't you think worth to pay extra £15k to have MY2011. I found MY2008 around £25k only and under 30k miles on clock.

Sounds OK to me. Wait to see what others have to say before you make up your mind.

Personally, would suggest you use some of the money saved on an earlier model to buy Lexus Extended Warranty - not that I would expect any problems at all. Its just that anything major is going to be massively costly if you run out of luck.

Hi Fjcfarrar,

Sounds OK to me. Wait to see what others have to say before you make up your mind.

Personally, would suggest you use some of the money saved on an earlier model to buy Lexus Extended Warranty - not that I would expect any problems at all. Its just that anything major is going to be massively costly if you run out of luck.

Sound advice indeed. As long as the MY2008 is in good condition, and with only 30K on the clock it should be, you'll avoid the depreciation costs of a newer model. The updates are not worth the extra expense in my personal opinion, unless (1) you're an extreme track day enthusiast, (2) suffer from osteogenesis imperfecta, (3) desperately need the, albeit brief, kudos of owning a later MY.

I have just taken delivery of brand new ultra blue 2012 IS-F. Have previously owned 58 plate IS-F in red.

Main differences are:

1) Less fidgety ride on motorway trips (when I just want to cruise along!)

2) Vital "sport button" now on the steering wheel , rather than hidden behind it!

3) Rev warning lights on the new huge tachometer to flag up a gear change when in manual mode.

4) DAB radio for crystal clear digital radio.

5) iPod connection in centre armrest.

6) Proper mechanical Limited Slip Differential to replace the previous electronic imitation - better stability and maintain power through bends.

7) Ultra Blue is now THE colour to make this car stand out properly from the IS range.

8) Steering wheel has ultra blue lower section to remind you what you are driving!

9) Hard drive stores albums by simply recording your CDs in about 5 mins.

10) Latest satnav is vital when negotiating UK road network...

I am very pleased with how these subtle differences have perfected an already excellent car....it just needs adjustable suspension now to reflect my mood. Perhaps a 6 speed gearbox would also be better.

I also drive an Audi R8 4.2 2008 model when the sun shines - manual gearbox, magnetic ride, ultra blue, a real blast of fun...but the IS-F sounds better, is just as fast on UK roads, can carry 3 passengers and my golf clubs!

Enjoy your IS-F whatever age you buy!

I see Lexus Glasgow have a new one at £39,995 if you fancy a black one...

• 2 weeks later...

Demand for these cars isn't that high so discounts can be had if it's been sitting for a while.

I'd aim to get at least 2k - 2.5k off those cars up for £37900

I was offered a 2011MY car with sub 1000 miles for £35k recently

Sorry wasn't sure if it would, just got to www.lexus.co.uk and search approved used ISF.

Slurms, you should have taken it. We buy any car offers more than that!

2) Vital "sport button" now on the steering wheel , rather than hidden behind it!

3) Rev warning lights on the new huge tachometer to flag up a gear change when in manual mode.

There is a much simpler solution for all of this...

- No problems with fidgety ride,

- No need for a sport button - just press the accelerator and the torque will do the rest

- No need for flaps or manual gear changes (although it has the flaps, again: TORQUE !)

- Who needa a radio when the engine makes this sound?

Conclusion, here is the best IS-F:

mercedesc63amg-5.jpg

There is a much simpler solution for all of this...

- No problems with fidgety ride,

- No need for a sport button - just press the accelerator and the torque will do the rest

- No need for flaps or manual gear changes (although it has the flaps, again: TORQUE !)

- Who needa a radio when the engine makes this sound?

Conclusion, here is the best IS-F:

mercedesc63amg-5.jpg

C63 AMG IS-F

1730kg 1700kg

451 bhp 417bhp

600 nm torque 505nm torque

0-62 = 4.7secs 0-62 = 5.2

Drag coeffient 0.32 Drag coeffient 0.27

Power to weight: 260bhp per ton Power to weight: 245bhp per ton

Torque per ton: 346 nm per ton Torque per ton: 297 nm per ton

Price tag £62000 price tag £40000

Conclusion:

Although C63 AMG has the advantage of 15bhp power to weight and 50nm of torque more per ton than ISF guess who will win a drag race? ISF cus its 0.27 drag coeffient will make it more fluid and stable than 0.32 of C63 AMG and come 155mph driver of ISF will be waving past C63 all the way to 170mph. :driving:

Further Conclusion: So are you saying I have to pay £22000 more to go 5tenths quicker from 0-62, because of 15bhp power to weight and 50nm of torque more per ton advantage? Cus that’s where the extra power and torque of C63 goes. But past 62mph drag coefficient and gearing is most important. I will have the IS-F and save £2200 in my bank. :D

C63 AMG IS-F

1730kg 1700kg

451 bhp 417bhp

600 nm torque 505nm torque

0-62 = 4.7secs 0-62 = 5.2

Drag coeffient 0.32 Drag coeffient 0.27

Power to weight: 260bhp per ton Power to weight: 245bhp per ton

Torque per ton: 346 nm per ton Torque per ton: 297 nm per ton

Price tag £62000 price tag £40000

Conclusion:

Although C63 AMG has the advantage of 15bhp power to weight and 50nm of torque more per ton than ISF guess who will win a drag race? ISF cus its 0.27 drag coeffient will make it more fluid and stable than 0.32 of C63 AMG and come 155mph driver of ISF will be waving past C63 all the way to 170mph. :driving:

Further Conclusion: So are you saying I have to pay £22000 more to go 5tenths quicker from 0-62, because of 15bhp power to weight and 50nm of torque more per ton advantage? Cus that’s where the extra power and torque of C63 goes. But past 62mph drag coefficient and gearing is most important. I will have the IS-F and save £2200 in my bank. :D

Might all well be true, but consider 2 things:

1. How often can you go faster than 80mph in the UK? Even if the risk of getting caught is low, you always have someone driving in front of you on the motorway and the rest of the roads are fill of all kinds of obstacles too.

2. You can go by the numbers... but you cannot express sound and sensation on paper.

Driven many 63 AMG's and it still is the engine to beat for brute performance in a saloon.

Besides, if the author considers a 2008 car too, then he does not go new and in second hand, the price difference between both cars is much smaller. For £40K, I can even get a 2008 S63 AMG !

I am not in an IS F yet but hope to be soon.

I have considered and driven an M3 and C63,there are lots of reasons why I will be buying the IS F, but the main reason I am going to end up in an IS F is that I just cant face doing business with either a BMW or Mercedes saleman!!!

Not sure where you got those figures from but at least 1 is way off, the quoted 0-62 mph time of the IS-F is 4.8 seconds with most tests placing it below this.

The first performance sedan I drove was a C63 on an AMG day at MB World. I fell inlove with the noise it made, truly a superb car. However, when it came to actually buying and running a car like this it came down to more realistic things.

Reliability, yes MB have improved, but the car I moved out of (SLK 350) had a fair number of issues over the years (and this was one of the most reliable MB cars in recent years) in fact the 6.3 engine is subject to a class action lawsuit for failures http://www.benzboost.com/content.php?1661-Class-action-suit-against-Daimler-AG-Mercedes-due-to-M156-V8-%2863-AMG%29-engine-defects

Servicing costs, not sure if MB was really taking the mick when they decided you pay for a service which doesn't actually include any of the bits that need changing. AMG servicing costs are even higher, prob looking at an extra £300 a year over the ISF

Fuel, ok yep you don't buy a car like this for fuel consumption but at least in the ISF I can get over 30mpg on a long run, and even having fun with it you'll still get high teens.

Dealers, nothing compares to Lexus dealers.

The ISF really is more of a split personality car, you can drive it like a Lexus, enjoying the quiet and luxury while cruising along, or put your foot down in Sport and drive a sports sedan. It manages to fulfill both rolls.

If someone else was paying for it and dealing with it then maybe I would probably have picked the C63 but for me ISF was a more rounded package.

Not sure where you got those figures from but at least 1 is way off, the quoted 0-62 mph time of the IS-F is 4.8 seconds with most tests placing it below this.

The first performance sedan I drove was a C63 on an AMG day at MB World. I fell inlove with the noise it made, truly a superb car. However, when it came to actually buying and running a car like this it came down to more realistic things.

Reliability, yes MB have improved, but the car I moved out of (SLK 350) had a fair number of issues over the years (and this was one of the most reliable MB cars in recent years) in fact the 6.3 engine is subject to a class action lawsuit for failures http://www.benzboost...-engine-defects

Servicing costs, not sure if MB was really taking the mick when they decided you pay for a service which doesn't actually include any of the bits that need changing. AMG servicing costs are even higher, prob looking at an extra £300 a year over the ISF

Fuel, ok yep you don't buy a car like this for fuel consumption but at least in the ISF I can get over 30mpg on a long run, and even having fun with it you'll still get high teens.

Dealers, nothing compares to Lexus dealers.

The ISF really is more of a split personality car, you can drive it like a Lexus, enjoying the quiet and luxury while cruising along, or put your foot down in Sport and drive a sports sedan. It manages to fulfill both rolls.

If someone else was paying for it and dealing with it then maybe I would probably have picked the C63 but for me ISF was a more rounded package.

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=162349&l=nl

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=160138

Valkirk has even confirmed its more quicker from 0-62 thats even more excuse to go IS-F and at almost 25mpg thats icing on the cake as my IS300 gives 26mpg on the same combined cycle.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links