Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Is250 Owner This Week, Advice Please!

Hi folks,

So I've decided on a '06 is250 Auto, and I think I've found the model I want with 83K miles on the clock (was originally looking at the 220d, but too many horror stories on the forum about them!).

Anyway, as usual my research has me getting cold feet, as I've come across what the commom problems are on the is250.

This thread seems to have most listed, even though it's based on the other side of the Atlantic:

http://www.clublexus...se-threads.html

None of the issues appear to be that massive, but are annoying all the same.

So do you know if they are all relevant this side of the pond? (I assume the UK is250's are not built in the same factories as the ones in the USA / Canada?).

The carbon build-up in the engine seems to be the most serious - has anyone on here experienced this?

The next most annoying one is the LED lights on the instrument cluster failing - again, has this happened to anyone here?

Would also love to get your views on the car in general - it's from a Lexus dealer with 12 month warranty so thats something I suppose, even though I intend to keep it alot longer.

Thanks folks - appreciate the help!

Bought mine new in 2005 and covered around 48K miles before selling it. It had work done by Lexus under recalls, but only suffered from one issue which was the seized rear calipers that were changed under warranty. Apart from that I had no real issues with it at all, and as far as I know, neither has the new owner.

All the IS x50/220 cars produced world wide were built in either of two plants in Japan, Kyushu or Tahara, with the IS-F produced only at the Tahara facility.

I've covered 70K miles (from new) in my 2007 IS250SE auto and the issues I've encountered are as follows:

1. Dashboard 'cracking noise'. Occasionally, after about 20 minutes driving from cold (especially in the winter) I'll get a single loud crack from the dashboard. It's the same sort of sound that's made by a small stone hitting the windscreen. It's a known issue, but since it occurs so infrequently I've decided to live with it, rather than risk new problems being introduced if the dashboard is taken out.

2. An intermittent rattle from within the front passenger door. Again, a known issue I believe. This was sorted under warranty and was a trivial job.

3. A new water pump at 60K miles. Pump was making a groaning sound and leaking slightly. Replaced by my local Lexus dealer for £300. The bill wasn't too bad considering the parts and labour involved, but I was a little disappointed that it had failed so early. I don't know whether this is a common problem or I was just unlucky.

4. Flaky alloys. A known problem and obviously only cosmetic, but irritating nonetheless. Had original alloys replaced under warranty, but replacement set are already quite bad two years on.

And that's it. To be fair to Lexus the engine and gearbox have performed flawlessly and the brakes are still on their original pads and disks, so on balance I've been very happy with the car and would rate it as very reliable.

Obviously I'll be expecting a few more bills over the next four years (yes, I really do intend to keep the car for the best part of a decade - 150-200K miles), but I'm hoping that with regular servicing and a keen eye for spotting any problems early I'll be able to minimise the costs.

Hi folks,

So I've decided on a '06 is250 Auto, and I think I've found the model I want with 83K miles on the clock (was originally looking at the 220d, but too many horror stories on the forum about them!).

Anyway, as usual my research has me getting cold feet, as I've come across what the commom problems are on the is250.

This thread seems to have most listed, even though it's based on the other side of the Atlantic:

http://www.clublexus...se-threads.html

None of the issues appear to be that massive, but are annoying all the same.

So do you know if they are all relevant this side of the pond? (I assume the UK is250's are not built in the same factories as the ones in the USA / Canada?).

The carbon build-up in the engine seems to be the most serious - has anyone on here experienced this?

The next most annoying one is the LED lights on the instrument cluster failing - again, has this happened to anyone here?

Would also love to get your views on the car in general - it's from a Lexus dealer with 12 month warranty so thats something I suppose, even though I intend to keep it alot longer.

Thanks folks - appreciate the help!

As these things go, the IS250 scores very well on reliability. But if you are worried, weigh up the cost of extending your 12 month Lexus Warranty. This is not cheap, but if something major (not likely but certainly enormously expensive to fix) happens to fail; it could be worth it - particularly if the dealer will sweeten the overall deal a little.

Thanks for the replies folks.

So I think I'm going to go for it. I need a car, and I know no matter what model I choose to go for I will find problems if I research it enough! I guess even Lexus isn't perfect in this respect.

Will let you know how I get on.

Brighton - In hindsight I would rather buy an IS from new and run for 3/4 years before changing - but wouldnt we all)

I bought an 06 IS250 with 30 ish K on the clock when it was 4 years old and have run in for almost 2 years. I still like the car alot and its never let me down starting wise however I've had the following issues:

Wheel alignment out of whack ( all four!) Cotttoned on to this a bit late and it cost me multiple tyres - and they aint cheap! Get a 4 wheel allignment check when changing tyres or periodically! Having different sized rear tyres is a pain and not sure really adds to performance etc.

17" or above Low profile tyres equals rather jiggly ride on our rubbish roads and are expensive!

Also road noise - ok if on a smooth road but rough surfaces very noticeable in cabin..

Cabin Rattles - sporadic rattles all over - can be quiet for a while then starts again. Centre speaker "crack" , glove box lid, somewhere around back window,occasionally sounds like whole dash rattling. Not good enough. None of my various old cars (apart from a '75 austin allegro at age 15) have ever done that. I put up with it because they are only occasional , I have no warranty and I don't want the dash taken off because it'll cause another problem or 10 and be expensive.

An abs speed sensor failed and the front brake discs and pads had to be changed. Now the back pads need doing (Ok I accept that at 50k miles thats wear and tear)

Somethings not right with the auto gearbox - takes time to get in right gear - its making me nervous (££££££££??).

And of course lexus servicing is/can be expensive ..

My warning to anyone buying used while the purchase cost is still that of a nice brand new /nearly new large family car etc - is to buy cheap because depreciation is not actually that good on these cars- there are less people who can afford to run them being gas guzzlers/ high c02. Also we are coming to the end of the model cycle - a new one being imminent which will see the value drop further. Theres also quite a lot of ex company cars on the market. And of course anything that goes wrong will be sure to cost you dearly. Fine if you have plenty of spare cash - but dont think you are getting a luxury car bargain - you're not really.!

The silly thing is I kind of love it, I don't tire of looking at the car - looks great - and most of the time driving it is a lovely experience. If only it were a little cheaper to lookafter and run and rattled less. I've even considered getting a new one but then reality sets in and I look at (cough) Hyundai's and Toyotas. I imagine the all new model is going to be fantastic. But in the end I'll probably go back to a good to drive family car without all this "executive/ premium" baloney attached to it . But then again.....

Mixed messages I know - but thats how these cars make you feel!

Hope you find a good one if you're going for it though. Good luck and keep us posted.

Marcus

(Hope this rant was of help in someway!)

Go for it. We have two SE-L IS250's AUTO's at the moment and apart from the odd rattle which were fixed by Lexus Bristol, we have had none of the issues mentioned above. Alignment issues mentioned can happen on any car mainly due to our roads!

I would recommend buying from a Lexus Dealer as they look after you and the 12 month warranty makes up for the higher price compared to a private or car supermarket.

I agree with what F.A. has said - Think I have just been unfortunate could happen with anycar maybe because mine was one of the earlier cars they were patchier quality. Its still a great car.

Anyway I've just done the deal to trade in today. Hopefully it won't be "out of the frying pan into the fire".. but then again I'm getting a fffffffford.. :whistling: (Never ever thought I would say that!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i owned a GS300 sport Mk1 and changed it to an IS250 SE-L. no issues regarding both! they are well built cars! i cannot complain. if you are worried, there's always ford or BMW but you wont get value for money!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links