Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Please Help, Gear Selector Not Working After Clutch Remove And Refit

please forgive me dont speak good english.

the cluth remove and refit is done by Halfords auto center, after i paid the job, i found i cant put in gears so i didnt move the car and went strait back.

they adjusted it better but still very bad.

they said there is bush got tear and wear, after they put back is not working properley.

they say they did a proper job so i need pay for a new part( the whole stick under gear nob).

what i think is a clutch remove should not damage the gear selector or the gear stick.

i dont if i am right or wrong, is this their problem or mine? shall i pay for the repair

thank you

If your gearbox was working fine before and just your clutch needed replacing then it sounds like they have messed up and it is their problem!

If I was in your situation I'd go mental at the manager and threaten them with legal action. Then if Halfords still insisted its not their problem I would go to my solicitor and take legal action.

@ jamie

That was a little harsh. Surely the guy has a right to ask his question and get advice whether it's his first or 1000th post.

Isn't that what the LOC is all about?

Leo: I think Chris is absolutely correct. On the face of it they messed up and you should get someone who has a better command of the English language to write a letter to the manager which you can sign and post. My motto in all such cases like this is ‘Always get something in writing early on’.

I'm not claiming to be an English literary genius, but I would be happy to draft something for you if you know no other.

not atall, if u expect to get anything from here, you should at least introduce yourself, arriving asking a question and leaving is not what a club is all about.

i would help you, but this is your only post here, we are not performing monkeys.

come on jfatboy dont be harsh as other said it doesnt matter if this is his first post. both of you live near each other maybe you two can meet somewhere convenient for you so you can take a quick look thats if you willing tho.

thank you all guys for your reply,

i think i have a account before i bought my is200 but cant remember the username and password, its true i dont have many post because my poor english.

@jfatboy I post and leave is because i only had a short break this afternoon then had to work from 4pm-11pm, i ask help because i dont want waste my hard earned cash.

I am new to lexus and only had my is200 for 3 months now, i have a report from lexus about 2 month ago the only problem is clutch noise and the Halfords report i got now showed one tyre below limit nothing wrong with the gear selector when i left the car to them.

i did call the customer service yesterday after they told me they will pass it to the region manager the line disconnected and i heard nothing from them until now.

thank you @darkoracle, i will get back to you if i need write this letter,

I searched online for their reviews and its very bad.for now, i dont want leave my car their too long or i am afraid they will break somethingelse,shall i take the car back on Monday with it repaired or without?

Crikey! It was dishonest of them to not tell you of the fault that they are supposed to have found before you paid the bill. Although there can be times where a fault can be found or can develop while a car is being repaired it is usual for the customer to be informed of this whilst they are still working on the car so giving you the option of letting them fix it whilst the car is still in pieces but to put the car together, and say nothing until you have paid the bill and tried to drive off sounds to me dishonest. Sadly you are a long way away from me otherwise I would pop round to have a look and see if I could help... Good luck I hope that you get it sorted

it will be more hassle than its worth to get the useless mechanics in Halfords to admit they messed up your gear i wont be surprsed if this was done delibrately to rinse more money off you. this option might cause you a bit more money but should solve your problem. book it into lexus oxfordshire explaining the exact problem they will then diagnose and tell you what the problem is. if the price quoted by them is in your budget then let them go ahead and fix it but if not buy the parts from them and take it to a local garage to be fitted managed to find a couple of garages in oxfordshire in the link below i think TJ Hall & son ltd can work on toyota so they should be familiar with a lexus layout.

http://www.motorcodes.co.uk/garagefinder/oxfordshire/abingdon/toyota/

http://www.tjhallandson.co.uk/services.html

After re-reading your post Leo, I'm puzzled how they (Halfords) managed to test the clutch with the selectors not working.

I think that there is a lot more that they are not telling you.

I think John's suggestion of getting it to a Lexus dealer might be the way to go, or if you belong to one of the national automobile organisations (like AA or RAC), they might inspect it and give you their report on the problem as well as the work that has been done on it. Halfords won’t be comfortable with that if they are hiding something.

If the car can't be moved then you are looking at transport fees to get it to a Lexus dealership, whereas the AA would go to the car and probably ask some very pertinent questions.

fine i will be nice. i'm sorry to hear its gone wrong, i stay away from any where like halfords/quick fit etc etc, they are generally absolute monkeys in there, find your self a decent, reliable, trustworthy garage that can do a decent job for you.

I agree with Halfords autocentres being a bit of a waste of time. I suggest checking out http://www.goodgaragescheme.co.uk/ I've never tried any garages from there but I heard about that site a while ago. Possibly a good place to start looking if you don't know any reliable local garages.

thank you guys,

update: called head office on Friday,just got a call from oxford manager, i cant really describe where the problem is, i dont know the english words for those parts,sad. the manager said he will have a word with them then call me back.

i will keep update

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links