Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Treated My Self To A New Headunit

KentIS300

I just bought a new headunit this morning ... as it will have all the features I am kind of missing at the moment.

I used to have a Alpine iDA-X305S but I did not have Bluetooth kit or amplifier kit .... it would require more money to add those things than have it replaced.

The one I bought is a 2DIN 7" multi touch capacitive screen Pioneer SPH-DA100

The screen works a treat and very responsive and fast interface I am amazed. At the moment only connected my iPod touch, waiting for the extra cable kit to arrive so I can connect my Android phone as it connects via HDMI cable.

I have managed to install the GPS antenna behind the vents in the centre console.

I installed the Mic next to centre mirror.

Now I need to find a way as I never have done it before to make it think that the handbreak is on all the time, as basic funtions are not available ie the keyboard of the phone is not available when the car is running and some other things.

Has anyone "fooled" the handbrake cable to thing it is on all the time?

Also I need to buy a reverse camera to attach somewhere on the rear and connect it to the unit. Better than parking sensors I guess ;)

IMG_20120719_210035.jpg

Very nice. Did you require a sot lead?

I have no clue .... the Alpine was installed previously by the previous owner... so I only had to deal with a straight swap!!

By the way does anyone know where is the factory amplifier located in the sportcross?? It would be nice to get to know better the wiring of the 9 ish speakers and sub ... so I can plan their replacement sooner or later ;)

Hiya,that's one nice unit. The amp for the sportcross is behind the glovebox mounted against the inner panel. Exactly the same place as the saloon. there's plentry of guides on here How to access and bypass etc. I would assume however that has already been done if you have still got the oem speakers but are using an aftermarket head unit.

I assume it has been done.

But good to know to what extend ... I am sure the speakers can play better with an amp ..rather than using just the headunit.

And I want to find a way to control the level of the sub... as it drives me mad playing base through all the speakers.

On my CL where I have my old ICE installation the pioneer DEH8600MP headunit is a total bliss when it comes to adjstments with 3 pre outs and have 2 amps there one for the speakers and one for the sub. Plenty of adjustments there.

I want to bring the Lexus a close standard

Nice looking unit B)

You shouldn't need to actually fool the handbrake, just fool the head unit that the handbrake is on. Normally just grounding the lead from the head unit for the handbrake connection should do the trick.

Well apparently on the new Pioneer unit just a ground would not do ... as they check if the handbrake is engadged after they switch on ...

Anyhow... I have gonne to Maplins ... got an automotive relay connected to the remote power function and handbrake and did the trick :) :)

Hi KentIS300

I am near to getting the same Pioneer SPH-DA100.I know you said that the original lexus unit wasn't fitted to your car,but can you help with the following:-

1) Whats the make of the fascia plate ? is it this

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

I have just ordered off eBay a number plate fascia with camera attached.It will need modifiying. I decided on this as (a) i didn't want to drill a 28m/m hole in the rear of the car anywhere.and (B) when the car comes to the end of her life I can remove with out having to fill any holes.and transfer to my next car

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f190b6903

Can you also give more detail on how you wired in the relay

look forward to reading you reply

Thanks Ken

Hi KentIS300

I am near to getting the same Pioneer SPH-DA100.I know you said that the original lexus unit wasn't fitted to your car,but can you help with the following:-

1) Whats the make of the fascia plate ? is it this

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

I have just ordered off ebay a number plate fascia with camera attached.It will need modifiying. I decided on this as (a) i didn't want to drill a 28m/m hole in the rear of the car anywhere.and ( B) when the car comes to the end of her life I can remove with out having to fill any holes.and transfer to my next car

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f190b6903

Can you also give more detail on how you wired in the relay

look forward to reading you reply

Thanks Ken

Hello Ken,

Now you have given me some ideas for the reversing camera. I was looking for one that mounts on the lens of the licence plate light, but I assume a licence holder one will do a nice job as well.

The Fascia plate you have shown it does look really similar to the one my car had if not the same

As for the wiring of the relay I got the instructions from this youtube clip ... (this is not me!!!! in the clip lol!)

http://youtu.be/DSY61OwvTaw

• 4 months later...

License plate camera thing looks pretty cool - wonder if canaryseasider ever did the mods to fit? I'd be interested to see, as I intend to put a reverse cam on mine if I ever get the sat nav mod done

Have a look at eBay item no. 200742048073. Although not specifically for IS200, I'm sure it can be adapted.

I fitted one a while ago before got my IS250 and experimented quite a bit. Make sure it's 170 degress. 120 degrees sounds a lot but you do miss out an awful lot. Seems a shame to waste the opportunity for a better image. Also make sure you can see your bumper as some of the ones that look directly out give you no reference point to how close you are to something behind.

I ended up putting one I got in the bar above the licence plate :

rcam.jpg

I know ha - seems a pretty pointless pic!

When I took it, I was trying to put across that it couldn't be noticed as everyone was telling me it would get ripped out. They assumed it would have been a big thing.

I just had to cut a hole in the lock bar for it. That eBay one I was showing fits in the licence plate light though similar to the IS/RX

Here's a closeup I've just found of mine :

closeup2.jpg

That's kinda the route I was/am going to take, probably using one of these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271004037453?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Then cut out the trim panel, mount the camera inside it, so it's poking out just enough to see, like this;

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=54196entry592893

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=54196entry599522

Yep, I know that camera very well ;-) I sent it down to Wozza! They were expensive for those specs in the olden days.

The one on eBay looks perfect. In case you haven't had the cover off, its not blank behind it although there is some space - the metal is shaped at 45 degs behind.

That camera looks as though it will fit perfectly though just like Wozza's and mine. The angle actually works out better. I've got pics somewhere, I'll see if I can dig them out. Just so you are aware really. I doubt you'll have any problems with it.

I have had the cover off, to change a number plate bulb, but at that time I wasn't aware of reverse camera mods for the IS, so didn't pay attention to it. I was focusing on the fact I'd just dropped one of the 8mm nuts inside the boot lid because of the ludicrous design, haha!

This, of course, all hinges on the 7" LCD thing I've bought actually having an input I can use for a reverse cam and auto input switching (so it auto switches when I select reverse) Lets hope so, or no reverse cam for me!

The other option might be this one : http://www.rearviewcamerashop.com/ReversingcamerasUK/index.php?seo_path=black-mini-dome-cmos-reversing-camera-cam071b&PHPSESSID=26bb648cec728b3ecb41d7ed85d03fe5

And maybe it's possible to mount it so just the dome part sticks out the bottom of the trim panel. However, I'm not sure if the angle is sufficient?

Yeah, see what you mean. That angle would have to be spot on to save you doing an eccentric hole to adjust and all that hassle. That first link looked good.

The camera Wozza and a few others have fitted is 25mm long by 18mm dia - I can't see the length in the link you sent for the first one you are looking at but I see its diameter is 18mm also at its widest point. Looking at the picture and using that as a ref It looks pretty much the same to me meaning it will fit nicely. The spec looks good too.

Oh yeah - I know what you mean about dropping a nut - the way the metal closes into the fold must have been murder getting that out :lol:

I was gonna get a double din, but ended up getting a IS with navi and have read it can get complicated! so gonna get a GROM and for the rear view camera get a new rear view mirror which doubles up as a screen

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links