Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Had the car just over a week now, really enjoying it.

Just a query on the normal sounds at start-up from cold. Noticed the petrol engine sounds quite tappety until warmed up and can be a little lumpy.

Is this normal? I believe it has direct injection which has a characteristic sound but when cold it definitely sounds like a more pronounced tappet sound and to my mind unusual for this type of car.

I don't recall a GS300 I started from cold sounding like that, though I realise that is a different engine.

Yeah, mine sounds really rough and raw for about 10 seconds after a cold start then just sounds quite rough for another 60ish seconds then ok, got no worse over the last 130,000 miles and had it checked out by Lexus MK who tell me its ok, nil oil consumption so I aint gonna worry just turn the radio up and drive.

Yeah, mine sounds really rough and raw for about 10 seconds after a cold start then just sounds quite rough for another 60ish seconds then ok, got no worse over the last 130,000 miles and had it checked out by Lexus MK who tell me its ok, nil oil consumption so I aint gonna worry just turn the radio up and drive.

Mind if I ask, are you doing anything over and above routine servicing e.g. interim oil changes etc to get that great trouble free mileage from it?

No never touch it other than top up the screenwash and dip the oil once (never needed any) between dealer servicies, just changed the brake pads and discs, thought they must be due after 135,000 miles but even the pads had life left in them! rear discs had rusted and looked un sightly, was reluctant because the brakes were still very strong with no shimmey but dealer/MOT station advising discs were getting worn.

That's welcome news, thanks.

Just a curiosity this one, noticed some owners have reported up to 50mpg on long runs, are you getting close to that at all? Wonder what speeds that was at and I'm guessing it's dependant on a lot of regeneration.

I know I'm being a bit greedy with all these questions, just want to get into good habits with the car early on..

No were near 50 mpg on any of the three GS 450h cars I have owned, lets face it, it might be a hybrid but as 70mph your just using the 3.5 V6 engine so there’s no way you are going to get 50mpg. Best I get is 42mpg and that’s if I keep it at around the 60mph mark, if I go to 70 / 80 mph then it will drop to 38 mpg.

That's about the best I'm seeing too if I'm being careful.

I would have thought your new one could get close to the 50mpg if your trying? Have they moved to Li-ion's now with those?

The headlights are Bi-Xenon, you can get the LED headlights as a option but not on the f sport.

Yes my mileage is a lot better in this one, I used to average around 28 mpg around town and 37 mpg on a run, now its showing 38 mpg, around town, as for a long run I haven’t done one yet, plan on a trip to Norwich in December so I will see what it can do.

Have they moved to Li-ion's now with those?

No still not, Toyota are getting left behind in the hybrid stakes by refusing to move to new Battery technology. There are definitely some performance and safety concerns with Li-ions but I think the benefits outweigh them.

Have they moved to Li-ion's now with those?

No still not, Toyota are getting left behind in the hybrid stakes by refusing to move to new Battery technology. There are definitely some performance and safety concerns with Li-ions but I think the benefits outweigh them.

I'm reading that longevity is a concern though.

Hi pgg450h.

To ( maybe) answer an earlier question about tappety noises - certain 2006/2007 GS450h's were recalled by Lexus in 2009 for specific "engine valve spring" modifications. Mine is a June 2007 model and was recalled at 28,000 miles and spent 4 days with the Main Dealer - check that yours is/is not affected by this ?

Another issue with our model years was loud dashboard rattles that were due to certain " white pegs" becoming loose ! Fixed under warranty.

Just had the rear right wheel bearing replaced at 47,000 miles - otherwise it's been and is a fantastic car.

Hi pgg450h.

To ( maybe) answer an earlier question about tappety noises - certain 2006/2007 GS450h's were recalled by Lexus in 2009 for specific "engine valve spring" modifications. Mine is a June 2007 model and was recalled at 28,000 miles and spent 4 days with the Main Dealer - check that yours is/is not affected by this ?

Another issue with our model years was loud dashboard rattles that were due to certain " white pegs" becoming loose ! Fixed under warranty.

Just had the rear right wheel bearing replaced at 47,000 miles - otherwise it's been and is a fantastic car.

Thanks DougCF72, I have taken out a 2 year warranty with Lexus and they gave the car a check before applying the warranty, all came back ok. At the time I did ask if there were any outstanding recalls on it and there were none.

Also, given tonyricha's comments previously on his car sounding the same (and not getting any worse/noisier) over a big mileage I'm at ease now with mine but I do appreciate the information though. As you say it is a fantastic car, has made me almost completely forget about my e39 BMW which I held onto for 9 years (and I really liked that car).

Hello again pgg450h. My last car was also a BMW 528i se ( e39 ) which I had and loved for 12 years - 157,000 miles.

The 450h "puts it in the shade" - the power to weight ratio alone.

As far as the tappet noise is concerned, I didn't really have it either before or after the valve spring modification. However, I have ALWAYS used Slick 50 with all my cars, for at least one oil/filter change and did this before the recall ( at 19,000 miles ).

Fuel consumption is averaging 31 mpg.

However, the rear tyres wear much faster than the fronts, due to the massive hybrid torque.

For the love of God Doug, don't you put that Slick nonsense anywhere near the Lexus!!

It's utter bollocks - sorry to be so blunt, but if you think ickle bits of plastic PTFE are going to do something positive in your engine, you're very sadly mistaken.

If you understood how PTFE is bonded to your pots and pans (baked at 600ºF, and after an acid etching!) then you'd be able to see straight through the marketing BS peddled by them.

If you want to do the right thing, later this year Miller OIls should be putting their NT technology into the road oils - I'm lead to believe it is C60, the same material in Bardahl's oils.

If you've already got the ***** 50 in the engine, get it out asap with the aid of a good engine flush - BG Products or Liqui Moly (black pro tin).

Hello again pgg450h. My last car was also a BMW 528i se ( e39 ) which I had and loved for 12 years - 157,000 miles.

The 450h "puts it in the shade" - the power to weight ratio alone.

As far as the tappet noise is concerned, I didn't really have it either before or after the valve spring modification. However, I have ALWAYS used Slick 50 with all my cars, for at least one oil/filter change and did this before the recall ( at 19,000 miles ).

Fuel consumption is averaging 31 mpg.

However, the rear tyres wear much faster than the fronts, due to the massive hybrid torque.

Must confess I have used Slick50 a long time ago in a Honda I used to own (CRX vtec - loved that car too) and it did make it a little quieter but have never used it since given the quality of modern oils.

Dear PJS - strong opinions are often expressed about Shells Slick 50 ( either way ), you have your opinion and I have my own experiences using it in my last 7 cars all of which benefitted in terms of quietness, high mileage/non oil consumption. I think the synthetic version is a formidable product and adds to the benefits of modern oils - if you can afford to use it.

Synthetic version?

PTFE is not a naturally occurring product, but that aside, you could make many an engine quieter with a thicker grade oil (40 as opposed to 30 for example), not to mention high pressure additives like MOS2 (molybdenum disulphide) and ZDDP, which are considered old skool nowadays, with Boron and C60 now being used mainstream rather than 3rd party consumer add-ins.

I will hope to never see you having an issue that can be attributed to the stuff you've mentioned using.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links