Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Main Dealer Tyre Replacement Issue...

Hey guys

I've just this week paid a deposit and agreed to buy a used IS250 from my local Lexus dealer - trading in my much-loved IS220d which I will be sad to say goodbye to.

Anyway - the 250 is a great car. I'm really excited, but got a small issue. When I test-drove the car it was fitted with 4 Bridgestone Turanza tyres - which I believe are a good tyre. I just found out from the dealer that one of the tyres has been replaced (because it had a nail in it). But they've replaced the Bridgestone with a much cheaper tyre!

My view is that I bought a car with 4 Bridgestones on it - not 3, and one cheapo! But I'm really interested in what oh guys think. Is it reasonable for me to insist they fit another Bridgestone? It am I making a big deal about nothing?

Also - any tips, hints, points of interest about the 250 (it indeed the Mark Levinson system for a newbie) would be much appreciated!

Hey guys

I've just this week paid a deposit and agreed to buy a used IS250 from my local Lexus dealer - trading in my much-loved IS220d which I will be sad to say goodbye to.

Anyway - the 250 is a great car. I'm really excited, but got a small issue. When I test-drove the car it was fitted with 4 Bridgestone Turanza tyres - which I believe are a good tyre. I just found out from the dealer that one of the tyres has been replaced (because it had a nail in it). But they've replaced the Bridgestone with a much cheaper tyre!

My view is that I bought a car with 4 Bridgestones on it - not 3, and one cheapo! But I'm really interested in what oh guys think. Is it reasonable for me to insist they fit another Bridgestone? It am I making a big deal about nothing?

Also - any tips, hints, points of interest about the 250 (it indeed the Mark Levinson system for a newbie) would be much appreciated!

I agree entirely with Chris, insist that they put the matter right and just hang in there, don't give in, they won't want to lose the deal for the sake of a tyre, believe me. I too have changed from a 220d, which I absolutely loved but, I love the 250 even more and, just like fellow member normski2, I even drive to the local shops in it just for the pleasure of being in it (must get out of the habit though, no good for the waistline and health, do need to walk a bit!)

The IS250 owners manual now take preference over Match of The Day, that says something doesn't it!!

Haha thanks Geoff! It's great to hear that you've made the switch from the 220d to the 250 and that you're very happy.

I'm gonna give the dealers a bit of stick tomorrow then about this tyre issue and hopefully get it sorted.

Thanks very much for the advice :)

Insist the car has 4 matching tyres or pull out of the sale. Your not making a big deal. I would be livid if it were me. I always have the four corners of my car running the same rubber.

Totally agree. All four tyres the same please.

I too have recently changed from a 220D to the 250SELmm. Enjoy!!

On the subject of the ML system. There is one hell of a lot to read and learn from the owners manual. Sit down, get comfy, nice mug of tea and read. Then go sit in the car with the manual and start delving into the menus. Check that all the previous owners data has been removed. It does start to become a little intuitive once you have made a few settings changes. One thing I did not realise..... you need to set the treble, mid and bass controls for each source individualy. My Ipod sounded awful compared to a DVD source..then I discovered the bass was right at the end of the scale!! Before you know it you wil be loading up addresses and phone numbers, assigning voice tags, radio stations et al. Then you will probably phone your wife using voice recognition while she in the house 10 yards away. Just because you can, and you want to know it really works! Thankfully, she did see the funny side of it, and now I'm getting mercilessly ribbed by the neighbours. Mind you they all want me run them on little journeys so they get a go in the 250!!

What year have you got? There will doubtless be some differences between different years..notably around 09 withe facelift version. For example, I think at this point you get full postcode entry on the nav destination. From what FA has told me the source also changed from a DVD to a HDD. Updates can be done via USB drive, that I think is behind the unit fascia..

Hey guys

You don't say what the replacement tyre is. Are you sure that the replacement is an inferior quality?

Not trying to say that you don't know good from bad, but just curious what they replaced it with.

Even if it is a good tyre, I'd want all four corners to match up - which is the approach I would take.

Having a different make on one corner, particularly if it is a front wheel is not a good idea anyway.

All makes of rubber have their own attributes and handling.

I find it odd that a dealership would even think of sticking an odd one on - a pair maybe, but a single!

Also thanks to Normski for advice on base/treble balance - I didn't realise that it was necessary to set each mode.

Wow guys thanks so much for all the responses! Didn't expect so many quick replies on a Sunday morning!

Thanks Normski for all the info on the MM system. The car is a 59 plate so facelift SE-L model. So hopefully it'll have newer features a that'll be good!

And the tyre I believe is a Nexen. Don't get me wrong, I've had these on my 220 and I think they're okay. But not sure they're up to the Bridgestone standard, and I am concerned that cornering would be affected if the fronts don't match?

Thanks again for all the helpful responses!

Hello again Gents!

Just wanted to update this page for anyone who might have been interested, to say that I've now heard back from the dealer and they're going to fit new Bridgstones for me at their expense :)

I didn't even have to get angry with them or anything! I guess I under-estimated/forgot about Lexus' legendary customer service!

Collecting the car on Wednesday now (pic of actual car as my avatar now) so really can't wait!!

Hello again Gents!

Just wanted to update this page for anyone who might have been interested, to say that I've now heard back from the dealer and they're going to fit new Bridgstones for me at their expense :)

I didn't even have to get angry with them or anything! I guess I under-estimated/forgot about Lexus' legendary customer service!

Collecting the car on Wednesday now (pic of actual car as my avatar now) so really can't wait!!

Oooooh - take care Tim. Not ALL 'Gents' in this forum. :ooh-ducky:

I know that feeling Tuesday will feel like an eternity and you will have sleeples nights that Tuesday evening cus all you will be dreaming about is you behind the wheels of that smooth 250 :D! test drove one a while back and they nice cars! enjoy

Looks an absolute cracker. You are going to really enjoy picking that up. I have the same wheels on mine, like them a lot, they finish it off nicely. Spend some reading about the mm system, I think it's very good indeed. So far the sat nav has been faultless. I like the way you can link an iPod and view all your playlists on the screen.

Thanks Normski! Yeah I know what you mean about the wheels - they were what swung it for me really! I was really pleased cos the car is literally 3 years a 5 days old, and the wheels were showing very early signs of the dreaded corrosion! So they eventually agreed to replace with all new wheels! Happy days!

I literally won't sleep a wink tomorrow night!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links