Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Running On 225/45/17 ?

Dear All,

Just a bit of advise, I currently have on my IS200 215/45/17, and all four tyres need replacing (ouch!).

While shopping around, I came across someone who advised me to go for the 225/45/17 rather than the 215s as it will give more grip/better for the winter..etc..and it shouldnt affect the fuel consumption...

Any toughts?

I don't see any reason why not, the speedo will still be accurate and they will fit on your existing rims OK.

The increased tread width is only 10mm so it won't make a noticeable difference to grip infact narrower tyres are better in snow than wider ones.

If there is little price difference or they are offering a good price go for them.

I've been running 225s for a while.

In a lot of cases, 225s are actually cheaper. Plus, there's a bigger choice available in that size, particularly high-end stuff. ie: Michelin Pilot Sports are unavailable in 215/45R17 fitment.

In my experience you lose a little bit of responsiveness (acceleration, steering) compared to with 215/45R17, but the ride is improved since the slightly taller sidewall soaks up bumps and rough surfaces better. There's a small increase in grip, but that's only really noticable on greasy/wet roads or somethiing.

Get them if there cheaper you wont notice a diffrence. You will get an extra 10 mm of width and 4.5 mm of side wall height i doubt you will even notice. You will how ever notice the new tyres making a diffrence. Given a brand new set, same rubber compound and tread pattern of each size tested back to back i doubt you will notice any diffrence in the 2 tyre sizes. Rightly so though narrow tyres are ment to be beter in the snow as they cut through it rather than sit ontop of it.

I recently put on 4 new (cheap) tyres they give better grip than the old (good brand) tyres. I put this purely down to better tread. The only thing to be aware of when buying cheap tyres is noise, these cheap ones mean i have to trun the stereo up a notch or 2, i noticed the minute i drove out the workshop.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links